So what is a proper length of a book today?

The Conservative

So what is a proper length of a book today?

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:00 pm

I just got off the phone with someone who I know that has been published in the past that she said an average book for her was 250 pages the problem is she is also going by an old standard (typewriters).

I have seen this as a standard:
Novels for adult readers fall between 80,000 and 120,000 words. A novel of 50,000 would be the absolute minimum for some genres and, unless you are Ken Follett or some other established author, you should view 100,000 as the maximum
They are going by word count, and not page count, I am already at 77K words, and at a point where the book is starting to move.

So my question is really, have publishing houses gotten lazy and go by total word count and figure out the cost of publishing, or should I just throw away the old standard and just embrace the FU generation of writing?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Re: So what is a proper length of a book today?

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:09 pm

All that matters is that it's good and, these days, whether you match diversity quotas (and your story has to advance cultural Marxism at least a little).

Otherwise, you have to look for alternative publishers like those run by Orson Scott Card and Vox Day, but they still maintain very high standards.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:All that matters is that it's good and, these days, whether you match diversity quotas (and your story has to advance cultural Marxism at least a little).

Otherwise, you have to look for alternative publishers like those run by Orson Scott Card and Vox Day, but they still maintain very high standards.
Well, that's a given, for standards that is.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:37 pm

It actually is not a given. I only know the SF market fairmy well, but most of what gets published now is total rubbish. Some of the really good stuff gets published in audio via Amazon Frontiers rather than a traditional publisher.

It's very political. Go look at the entry requirements somebody like Lightspeed uses.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It actually is not a given. I only know the SF market fairmy well, but most of what gets published now is total rubbish. Some of the really good stuff gets published in audio via Amazon Frontiers rather than a traditional publisher.

It's very political. Go look at the entry requirements somebody like Lightspeed uses.
For me, it's a given because I take political consideration into everything. It's why my main character is going to be female. Can't bitch about that too hard I think.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:40 pm

The Conservative wrote:For me, it's a given because I take political consideration into everything. It's why my main character is going to be female. Can't bitch about that too hard I think.
You don't think poser, disenfranchised, SJW-wannabe-writers can bitch about a white man writing a female character, eh?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:44 pm

The Conservative wrote:For me, it's a given because I take political consideration into everything. It's why my main character is going to be female. Can't bitch about that too hard I think.
Man, are you heading for a rude a-woke-ning.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Fife wrote:
Man, are you heading for a rude a-woke-ning.
Not for publications I don't think so, they are still under the control of the SJW and the left... make a woman a strong character and they will love you for it.
#NotOneRedCent

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm

"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:58 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
Over 2500

http://nypost.com/2015/02/09/nyu-cracks ... otsie-pop/
#NotOneRedCent