History Near You 2.0

Montegriffo

Re: History Near You 2.0

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:06 pm

This is Grimes Graves, neolithic flint mines.
Grime's Graves is a large Neolithic flint mining complex in Norfolk, England. It lies 8 km (5.0 mi) north east from Brandon, Suffolk in the East of England. It was worked between c. 3000 and c. 1900 BC, although production may have continued well into the Bronze and Iron Ages (and later) owing to the low cost of flint compared with metals. Flint was much in demand for making polished stone axes in the Neolithic period. Much later, when flint had been replaced by metal tools, flint nodules were in demand for other uses, such as for building and as strikers for muskets.The scheduled monument[1] extends over an area of some 37 ha (91 acres) and consists of at least 433 shafts dug into the natural chalk to reach seams of flint. The largest shafts are more than 14 m (46 ft) deep and 12 m (39 ft) in diameter at the surface. It has been calculated that more than 2,000 tonnes of chalk had to be removed from the larger shafts, taking 20 men around five months, before stone of sufficient quality was reached. An upper 'topstone' and middle 'wallstone' seam of flint was dug through on the way to the deeper third 'floorstone' seam which most interested the miners
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grime%27s_Graves
As new shafts were dug the old ones were backfilled with the spoils. Two shafts have been excavated and you can visit the workings.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:13 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote:There is literally nothing older than even 1900 in my area

SAD!
Pueblo villages. Rock formations. Fault lines. Mining remnants. Saloons.

Cali has some pretty dope stuff scattered around.
Yeah, in the parts of California I'm originally from and if I go far east. I'm talking about Orange County.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:16 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:

SAD!
How far are you from Calico?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico,_S ... California
2 hours 45 minutes with no traffic. That's 3/4 of the way to Vegas
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:23 pm

California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

SAD!

Yeah, in the parts of California I'm originally from and if I go far east. I'm talking about Orange County.
Tar Pits?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:32 am

Penner wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Nope, gotta tear it down Penner. It's a symbol of Racism. :twisted:

Really, trying to twist this isn't going to work because it's not a symbol of racism nor slavery. Unlike the statues that honor the leaders of a violent secession movement whose whole purpose was to preserve slavery. Also, the paragraph above states Wythe COunty (where ever that is) that furnace is located in Indiana County PA.

Oh Indiana County, huh. Named after the displaced Native Americans that racist Furnace contributed to? Yup, tear it down.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:35 am

Montegriffo wrote:Image
Alright, is somebody going to make the joke or do I have to?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:20 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Tar Pits?
History or Paleontology?

Good catch though

Penner

Post by Penner » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:39 pm

clubgop wrote:
Penner wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Nope, gotta tear it down Penner. It's a symbol of Racism. :twisted:

Really, trying to twist this isn't going to work because it's not a symbol of racism nor slavery. Unlike the statues that honor the leaders of a violent secession movement whose whole purpose was to preserve slavery. Also, the paragraph above states Wythe COunty (where ever that is) that furnace is located in Indiana County PA.

Oh Indiana County, huh. Named after the displaced Native Americans that racist Furnace contributed to? Yup, tear it down.
Whatever. If the local government wants to change its name then I am fine with it.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Penner wrote:
clubgop wrote:
Penner wrote:

Whatever. If the local government wants to change its name then I am fine with it.
We're tearing it down tonight. In it's place, we're leaving a plaque in your honor. Look for it on youtube.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Penner wrote:
clubgop wrote:
Penner wrote:

And tear down every vestige of the racist past. Come on you know you want to.