History Near You 2.0

Penner

History Near You 2.0

Post by Penner » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:08 pm

So, I remember that we used to have this old thread where people would post stuff about historical places near everyone lived. I thought "why not resurrect it"? So I am resurrecting this old thread and I will go first:

Near my hometown, there is a place called, "The Ghost Town Trail" which is basically a hiking/biking trail that is roughly 32-36 miles long (the main branch runs East to West with extensions added throughout the past two decades since it was first created). It got its name because there used to be a railroad that would pass through old ghost towns that were left abandon roughly around 1900.

Here is one of the sites- it's called "Buena Vista Furnace" this one, in my opinion, is the easiest best site to bike to (from my hometown). Other sites would be just a sign and/or a plaque given a brief history of the former ghost town.

Last edited by Penner on Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Penner

Re: History Near You 2.0

Post by Penner » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:10 pm

Edit:

Here is a picture of what a typical segment of trail would look like:

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:31 pm

When I lived in Ohio there was an old mill on the east side of the Olentangy River where we would sometimes stop and visit. This is in Delaware, Ohio, which is just a little bit northwest of Columbus. Someone put together a web page about it here. It was pretty cool. I have always found old abandoned structures like this fascinating.

If you ever get up to northern central Ohio and you like caves, you should check out Seneca Caverns, which was discovered in 1872 by a couple of kids hunting rabbits. There's an underground river inside, populated by blind fish. Rumor has it that it is connected by underground streams to The Blue Hole in Castalia, Ohio.

If you ever visit the Wilderness battlefield west of Fredericksburg in Virginia, don't forget to pay your respects to the little grave for Stonewall Jackson's arm.

katarn

Post by katarn » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 pm

Penner wrote:So, I remember that we used to have this old thread where people would post stuff about historical places near everyone lived. I thought "why not resurrect it"? So I am resurrecting this old thread and I will go first:

Near my hometown, there is a place called, "The Ghost Town Trail" which is basically a hiking/biking trail that is roughly 32-36 miles long (the main branch runs East to West with extensions added throughout the past two decades since it was first created). It got its name because there used to be a railroad that would pass through old ghost towns that were left abandon roughly around 1900.

Here is one of the sites- it's called "Buena Vista Furnace" this one, in my opinion, is the easiest best site to bike to (from my hometown). Other sites would be just a sign and/or a plaque given a brief history of the former ghost town.

Where I am now is pretty steeped in history. West Point isn't so far away, and aside from being globally historic, the place looks amazing.

"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:49 am

Within an hour or so drive I've got,
Sutton Hoo- site of early Christian Anglo Saxon King's longship burial.
Caister St Edmund- Romano/Iceni fort
Norwich castle- dates from 1087
Grimes graves- 5000 year old neolithic flint mines
Levenham- famous timber framed village from the 15th century.
Norwich cathederal built between 1096 and 1145
Framlingham Castle -12th century seat of the Bigold family
Scores of stately homes including the royal residence at Sandringham
Caistor castle- 15th century moated castle with a 100 foot tall tower.

In walking distance,
Bungay castle
St Peters moated manor house from 13th century
site of WWII B17 bomber crash
half a dozen medieval churches
countless timber framed medieval houses and Inns
large privately owned collection of WWI and WWII vehicles

Plus loads of stuff I've yet to visit.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:41 am

Penner wrote:So, I remember that we used to have this old thread where people would post stuff about historical places near everyone lived. I thought "why not resurrect it"? So I am resurrecting this old thread and I will go first:

We need to tear that down. That is a symbol of slavery, racism and oppression.
https://books.google.com/books?id=366g6 ... ry&f=false

:angelic-blueglow:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:15 am

C-Mag wrote:

We need to tear that down. That is a symbol of slavery, racism and oppression.
https://books.google.com/books?id=366g6 ... ry&f=false

:angelic-blueglow:
Must've been another Buena Vista Furnace since this one is in the heart of Western PA and slavery was long outlawed since the 1860s (which is what your book mentioned is when this event happens). NOW, though we have a long history of runaway slaves coming up here hiding from slave catchers. Hell, I could tell you of an event that happened roughly 1840s/1850s, that became sort of a mini trial event in local history, but it happened very far East from where that furnace is located.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:10 pm

Nope, gotta tear it down Penner. It's a symbol of Racism. :twisted:
PLATA O PLOMO

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:57 pm

C-Mag wrote:Nope, gotta tear it down Penner. It's a symbol of Racism. :twisted:

Really, trying to twist this isn't going to work because it's not a symbol of racism nor slavery. Unlike the statues that honor the leaders of a violent secession movement whose whole purpose was to preserve slavery. Also, the paragraph above states Wythe COunty (where ever that is) that furnace is located in Indiana County PA.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Penner wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Nope, gotta tear it down Penner. It's a symbol of Racism. :twisted:

Really, trying to twist this isn't going to work because it's not a symbol of racism nor slavery. Unlike the statues that honor the leaders of a violent secession movement whose whole purpose was to preserve slavery. Also, the paragraph above states Wythe COunty (where ever that is) that furnace is located in Indiana County PA.

I'm just havin fun with you Penner. I'm glad you rejuvenated this. :D
PLATA O PLOMO