What Impresses People?

Okeefenokee

Re: What Impresses People?

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:40 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I'm not a world-famous psychiatrist or anything, but..

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... n-20025568
I listened to ACS today. They all took Dr Drew's narcissistic test. Turns out it's more about not caring about others than it is about caring a lot about yourself, or so they said.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:53 pm

Nuke got it right: people have no idea how difficult it is. There's a reason I'm the only one.

If there was a constituency of people who were impressed, that would influence others, and there wouldn't be dinks saying, "I could do that."

That's my conclusion because it's a hell of a lot harder than what most people get recognized for.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Nuke got it right: people have no idea how difficult it is. There's a reason I'm the only one.

If there was a constituency of people who were impressed, that would influence others, and there wouldn't be dinks saying, "I could do that."

That's my conclusion because it's a hell of a lot harder than what most people get recognized for.
Martin,
why would you care about what people thought about you? No one in here is detracting from your work, but you seem to have this idea that by being more famous you will become self actualized. To me this is a very superficial goal for someone who clearly values higher pursuits. Focus on travelling and enjoying your life man.
Shikata ga nai

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:20 pm

This is my new pursuit.The knowledge of how & why, at least.

Fame is different than the OP. After reading this thread, I just presented my conclusion above. I'll be including it in a new Martin's Minutes.

p.s. Online we are all relatively equal. I can have this discussion, and you guys feel comfortable responding. How do you think you'd act if you were in my presence? Just how confident are you?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:22 pm

Martin Hash wrote:This is my new pursuit.The knowledge of how & why, at least.

Fame is different than the OP. After reading this thread, I just presented my conclusion above. I'll be including it in a new Martin's Minutes.

p.s. Online we are all relatively equal. I can have this discussion, and you guys feel comfortable responding. How do you think you'd act if you were in my presence? Just how confident are you?
depends on if you brought beer.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:25 pm

p.s. Online, we are all relatively equal. I can have this discussion, and you guys feel comfortable responding. How do you think you'd act if you were in my presence? Just how confident are you?
I shitpost and joke around online. In person, I don't feel as though I know you well enough to just start breaking balls. It would probably depend on the circumstances, like if I knew you from before you got certified etc.

Here is a thought experiment though Martin:

How would you react if someone like Mark Cuban or Warren Buffet came and started boasting their accomplishments to you? What if they pointed out that there are only a couple of billionaires in the world, and thus they are more impressive and deserving of your respect? You have an independent streak about you. Would you act deferential to them, or would you resent them or feel indifferent? Maybe envious?
Shikata ga nai

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:26 pm

p.s. Online, we are all relatively equal. I can have this discussion, and you guys feel comfortable responding. How do you think you'd act if you were in my presence? Just how confident are you?
Had we already spoken online?

In person, I would probably not believe you. If, upon first meeting, you started talking about being a successful businessman, a lawyer and an MD, I would assume you had grandiose delusions. Not from resentment or jealousy, just because it is so extraordinarily unlikely.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Honestly, if you started a conversation like you did this one, I'd be annoyed by you. I'd probably say something like "good job man" and walk away. There are plenty of wannabe big shots strutting around Florida, demanding respect. Most are just sad old men to me. More than a few of them are lonely and never found anything to fulfill themselves in life.

I'd be very impressed if you had done something with all of that learning that I was familiar with. Life experience is fascinating. A list of titles is not.

As an example, the inventor of the drop ceiling has a ridiculous mansion nearby. I'd be interested to meet him. I also used to live near the inventor of those plastic ball returns on basketball hoops. I've met old gangsters and semi-retired NASA engineers that are like idols to me. That effect is not based on their qualifications.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm

I'm really different from you guys: I'd want to be stranded somewhere with me, not Michael Jordan, Bono, or Mother Teressa.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:01 pm

"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "