Grammarly.

Alexander PhiAlipson

Re: Grammarly.

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:22 pm

This is also not an Oxford comma, but the vestigial remains of the vocative case; our once more highly inflected English language used to have gender, too.

Last edited by Alexander PhiAlipson on Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:24 pm

The kind of people that don't use oxford commas are the same kind of people who don't wait half an hour after eating before jumping back in the pool. Losers.
Shikata ga nai

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:26 pm

used to have gender, too
Like half a millennia ago. Interestingly, some would have you think that's due to Latin but Celtic languages used gender in language as well. Not sure if germanic languages ever did.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:30 pm

Also, I am not sure if all of the grammar rules have caught up with the relatively new concept of having real-time, typed conversations.

Especially when it comes to commas or infinitives, and the splitting thereof.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh they catch up.

"Drumpf irrevocably without doubt BTFO now click this shit,"

vs

"Generals think war should be waged like the tourneys of the Middle Ages. I have no use for knights; I need revolutionaries."

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:42 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
used to have gender, too
Like half a millennia ago. Interestingly, some would have you think that's due to Latin but Celtic languages used gender in language as well. Not sure if germanic languages ever did.
English is a Germanic language. Swedish in particular has lost much of its inflections and gender differentiation, but Germanic languages are gendered and, despite that bullshit about Latin that DB posted, sentences tend not to end with prepositions, although for the same reasons. Way back when I was a kid, we had actual actresses and even an arrant aviatrix; there were barmaids and stewardesses instead of bartenders and flight attendants.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:43 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Oh they catch up.

"Drumpf irrevocably without doubt BTFO now click this shit,"

vs

"Generals think war should be waged like the tourneys of the Middle Ages. I have no use for knights; I need revolutionaries."
:lol:
Lordy, I stand corrected.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:45 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
used to have gender, too
English is a Germanic language. Swedish in particular has lost much of its inflections and gender differentiation, but Germanic languages are gendered and, despite that bullshit about Latin that DB posted, sentences tend not to end with prepositions, although for the same reasons. Way back when I was a kid, we had actual actresses and even an arrant aviatrix; there were barmaids and stewardesses instead of bartenders and flight attendants.
Why not 'bartendresses?'
HAIL!

-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:49 pm

Never meant to imply English wasn't of germanic derivative; simply unsure if gender was used like it was/is in Celtic and Latin derivitaves. Been a while since I slept through german101. I was thinking of taking a refresher to kill time and honor my heritage but what's the point?

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:56 pm

Fife wrote:Did you all learn to diagram sentences?
yeah. not nearly as useful as the algebra.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751