Fasting

Speaker to Animals

Re: Fasting

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:50 am

From what I was reading earlier, to get the full autophagia effect where your body kills off the cancerous and older cells, you need to do it for about 8 days. Then if you want to completely replace your immune system, you need to go for 3 days.

With the 40+ hour fast, I at least get the huge boost in human growth hormone and testestorone. So I broke my fast with some milk and a chicken. Hopefully I will have enough protein and carbs to make the most of my lifts tonight.

After eating, I feel really good, honestly. I think I will do this again next week.

It's interesting stuff.

At least traditionally, lots of cultures have said fasting lengthens your lifespan. I guess the science is catching up. I'd imagine Big Agra and the sugar industry will try to crush that particular research at some point.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:13 pm

It's pretty normal for me to eat just one meal a day. I regularly fast 18-20 hours a day, but you are inspiring me Doc. I may do 40 hrs myself.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I haven't eaten since 6:30pm last night, and have only taken coffee and water.

I went and worked out two hours of kickboxing and circuit training from 9-11 and never once felt gassed out. I was tired but in a good way. However, during the 2nd hour of circuit training we did not do any of our heavier lifts we do sometimes so I can't comment on that.

I was starving on the way home, but it lessened as I had another cup of coffee. However, its feeling long right now. 40 hours would be a lot longer. I'm about to go eat
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:49 pm

It will pass if you wait it out. It's just your insulin spiking because you normally would eat now.

It's just a thing, bro.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:04 pm

I'm leaving work in a few minutes, no plans tonight... is Tropic Thunder on Netflix? I prolly won't fast, but I might go full retard.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:13 pm

Fife wrote:I'm leaving work in a few minutes, no plans tonight... is Tropic Thunder on Netflix? I prolly won't fast, but I might go full retard.

Yes. It's on there.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm set.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:18 pm

I was just thinking about it while walking the dogs. I wonder if being in severe chronic pain for all those years made it easier for me.

I might shoot for 48 hours next week instead of 40 to get the full boost in hormones.

I want to try it for the ten day deal, but I don't want to take that time off from the gym either.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:23 pm

Also, I was thinking about exercise during a multi-day fast longer than a few days.. I am pretty sure you should not do any major exercise, especially resistance training during that time. Your body won't repair the muscle, so you are basically just killing muscle if you do that.

At most, maybe some long walks would be okay just to speed up fat burning, and maybe some of those animal movement exercises (but done slowly and deliberately so as not to break down any muscle tissue).

But the benefits of a 10 day fast, for instance, are so huge, I think I want to do something like that at least once per year. Just flushing your body of old and cancerous cells is worth ten days of fasting.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:38 pm

Anyhoo.. For optimal benefits without suffering, I think one could try something like combining the 16/8 protocol I have been doing with the 5/2 protocol I basically just did. 16/8 means you fast 16 hours per day with an 8 hour eating window. 5/2 means you eat five days out of a week and fast two days. So on those five days, just intermittent fast (16 hours) and then do the 40-48 hour thing once per week.

If you want to lose fat, then you still need to count your calories and maintain a decent caloric deficit on those five days (about 15-20%). If you run the deficit, I'd throw in a cheat day about one every two weeks where you can eat really shitty foods to keep your metabolism from slowing down. If you do it this way, you will need to calculate calories by the week rather than by the day.

But think about that meal timing regimen in terms of benefits. You are going to have +20% HGH on those 5 days. Then at the beginning of each cycle, after you break the two day fast, your HGH is going to be at least a hundred percent higher. Test will be up too. So eat plenty of protein that day and schedule your heaviest lifting days at the beginning of the week.

20-100% boost in HGH is actually worth a lot of money. People will pay for instance about $200 per month to get the two SARMS that will approximate that boost in testosterone and HGH. And you can't take those but for cycles at maybe 8 to 10 weeks, and they have shitty side effects like suppression.

If you are not worried about losing weight, I think you would grow muscle fast this way as long as you eat a lot more during those five days to make up for your caloric deficit created by that two day fast.

For those of you who like to do the keto diet, a meal-timing regimen like this might help you by forcing you to clear out your glycogen stores once per week to help keep you in ketosis.

I think it would work pretty well with a paleo diet too, since it more closely matches the feeding frequency for which our species evolved.

You could theoretically combine all three since fasting tells you when to eat, paleo tells you what to eat, and keto tells you at what proportions of macros you should eat those foods. So look at a list of paleo foods, select them according to the macros that fit the keto diet, and then eat according to a fasting regimen. I guess you'd get benefits of all three approaches, and they don't really conflict with one another at all.

Personally I would just skip the keto since I do a lot of exercise and need carbs, and go instead with paleo and fasting together. As far as carbs go, I would do something more like carb cycling to coincide with when I break the two day fast. The carbs would come from vegetables and fruits.