The value — or threat — of cheat grass is a matter of debate in Idaho

TheReal_ND

The value — or threat — of cheat grass is a matter of debate in Idaho

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:14 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how insidiously liberals work their way into every facet of life. They can even try and convert Mother Nature into their own voter plantation if left to their own devices. Of course they will fail but they don't know that. I find this author's piece a bit more open minded though she is clearly one of those townies that move in to a self sustaining eco-society and immediately pitches monkey wrenches into it because life in town, even the eco system, just isn't going to live up to her expectations.
Though dry, brittle cheat grass is a problem for pets, it’s dangerous in southern Idaho during the summer. Then cheat grass becomes the highly flammable fuel that can contribute to the start and spread of wildfires. It’s hard to conceive the villainous nature of cheat grass when it first comes up in the spring, soft green tufts covering our landscape, making the hills and canyons look like the moors of Scotland. In June acres of cheat grass change color and become Idaho’s version of “waves of purple grain” from that much-loved melody
I talked to an Idaho rancher about how awful cheat grass was — is — and he looked at me like I was from another planet, like maybe I’d just stepped off the plane from New York City in spaghetti-strapped heels.

“That’s ridiculous,” he announced unapologetically. “Cheat grass makes cattle fat and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. It’s great forage.”

He then went on to detail how his little sister used to call it “cheap grass” instead of cheat grass because indeed, it was veritably free food for cattle grazing on a desert that didn’t grow much else.

I mentioned how invasive it was and how cheat grass stole water and nutrients from other native plants, how overgrazing had set the stage for this opportunistic weed.

“So? Survival of the fittest, right?” he said, arching his eyebrows. “Besides, I’m not so sure over-grazing promoted cheat as much as years of persistent drought.”

Then he proceeded to tell me that cheat grass stabilized the soil and offered watershed protection. Otherwise dirt would erode and fly with the wind. Had I ever been on the desert in a windstorm?

“But what about fires? Cheat grass spreads fire!” I was becoming agitated.

“Not a problem if you graze the grass off when you should instead of letting it grow unrestricted. Talk to the BLM about that.”

He actually walked away from me saying, “Thank God for cheat grass.” Oddly, it felt like our disagreement was almost political, and we were as far away from each other as, say, a Republican is from a Democrat.
http://www.idahostatesman.com/opinion/r ... 63869.html

SuburbanFarmer

Re: The value — or threat — of cheat grass is a matter of debate in Idaho

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Lol dumbass reporter throwing a fit about nature
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:15 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Lol dumbass reporter throwing a fit about nature
Pretty much the entire Environmental Movement.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 pm

Your racism makes you hate Gaea.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:44 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Not a fact, but nobody's going to change anyway. Fuggit.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:54 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Not a fact, but nobody's going to change anyway. Fuggit.
No, I'm accurate. Reporters and Greenies constantly throw a big fit over nature with damn little experience with nature and poor science.

My first example is the 1980's when the Greenies threw a fit over paper grocery bags, told us how we were cutting down all the trees. The Greenies got their allies in the press to run tons of stories and convince everyone that this was the answer.

Currently it's fire season in the West and the Greenies are telling us, this is answer

Not this
PLATA O PLOMO

Penner

Post by Penner » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:30 pm

I really know nothing about cheat grass other than it's an invasion grass that is used in ranching. That is all that I know.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 pm

Penner wrote:I really know nothing about cheat grass other than it's an invasion grass that is used in ranching. That is all that I know.
I hate cheat grass. I've got some of it in the pasture, I'm not big into Herbicides so I'm considering more traditional treatments like vinegar, fire and salt.
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:01 am

Penner wrote:I really know nothing about cheat grass other than it's an invasion grass that is used in ranching. That is all that I know.
Well that is different, if it's an invasive species. Are the ranchers seeding it themselves?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:50 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Well that is different, if it's an invasive species. Are the ranchers seeding it themselves?
he says, invasive species, like that ends the discussion.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751