BYOB?

Martin Hash

BYOB?

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:06 am

I got caught in something last night that, now that I think about it, really irritates me, and also shows how society norms are used as clubs to beat people over the head:

Yesterday afternoon my wife, Gwynne, got a call from a long-time friend of hers inviting us to a BBQ at their house. Gwynne bought some cookies & cake because that's what she does. I didn't take anything but myself. When we got there, I went outside to the patio. There were a half-dozen people there, all of whom I vaguely recognized from BBQs past. I shook everybody's hand, introduced myself, looked for a place to sit around the patio table. Everyone had a beer in their hand, so before sitting down I looked around for a kooler; there was a small one near the table, I opened it up, there was some random bottles & cans, I didn't take anything because it was out-of-the-ordinary stuff. Before I could close the kooler lid, this bitch says to me, "What? You just look into somebody else's kooler? You're too cheap to bring your own beer?" (Turns out, it wasn't even her kooler.) I thought she was fucking joking but she needed some work on her delivery.
"Where's the kooler?" I ask the host.
"There's no kooler?" he replies, matter-of-factly.
I'm off balance, "Didn't you have a kooler?"
"Not that I know of," he says, then continues talking to somebody else.
I look around, there's no kooler, nobody offers me a beer, I sit down. The dick who's kooler I looked in wouldn't talk to me. I go all evening without anything to drink. About 8 pm, I grab Gwynne, make an excuse, and get the hell out of Dodge.

Ya know, I've been gone for a while; is BYOB the new norm? WTF, somebody needs to tell me these things.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Fife

Re: BYOB?

Post by Fife » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 am

West coast yankees. /smh

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:12 am

Fife wrote:West coast yankees. /smh

This.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:33 am

Wtf is this even?

"I'm going to bring beer to a party but it's all for me xD"

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:46 am

My wife's people all do this. All the men bring a little cooler with their own shit, its very weird. They are from Michigan and I never saw anything like this until the first time I went to visit

My people always have the host provide a large amount of cheaper beer and other people can bring their own and add to the large cooler if they are so inclined. The weird thing about the Michigan people is that none of them were bringing fancy beers, rather just a smorgasbord of various macrobrews

I don't think its a West Coast Yankee thing at all, rather than just certain groups of people.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:52 am

This is unheard of for me. Even when I lived in a college town and went to frat parties beer was pretty much a common good.

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:55 am

Democrats really know how to have a swell time.

:goteam: :drunk:

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:45 am

I would not throw a party without plenty of stuff to drink on hand. And if that were the plan, I'd warn guests in advance to bring their own.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:57 pm

BYOB strip clubs are way more fun than the uptight proper types that serve beer.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:01 pm

Looks like Martin needs to prep the RC bomber.