Raccoon ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Re: Outdoors thread

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:56 am

adwinistrator wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:46 am
Had a great time camping at Chautauqua Gorge State Forest. 5 friends and I hiked 120 feet down into the ravine, and about 1 mile upstream to our 15+ year old campsite for 3 perfect days.
That's awesome. Old friends, Old haunts, Good Stuff.
PLATA O PLOMO

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 am

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 am

Raccoon ?
Yup, stumbled across it at work a few weeks ago (posted in this thread a few pages back). Separated the skull and put it on an ant hill for like two weeks, then soaked it in bleach for two days and spent some time yesterday cleaning it out. Maggots and brain matter and all that fun stuff, pretty gross. It's drying out now, still smells like bleach.

I'm sure I could have done it better, I think I let it soak too long, front teeth got chipped and it's overall pretty fragile/brittle. Still cool though

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am

pineapplemike wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:10 am
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:51 am

Raccoon ?
Yup, stumbled across it at work a few weeks ago (posted in this thread a few pages back). Separated the skull and put it on an ant hill for like two weeks, then soaked it in bleach for two days and spent some time yesterday cleaning it out. Maggots and brain matter and all that fun stuff, pretty gross. It's drying out now, still smells like bleach.

I'm sure I could have done it better, I think I let it soak too long, front teeth got chipped and it's overall pretty fragile/brittle. Still cool though
What's your address, I'll send you some deer and elk skulls :D ............... you do good work.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:49 pm

PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Federal Gov once again displays they cannot manage animals.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/national-par ... and-canyon

The Feds have been a miserable failure at managing Bison, from early US government policy in the 19th C, and the tradition continues today. They have failed to properly manage the herd in Yellowstone for decades. Then the genius' thought, we need Bison all over to mismanage. Now the Bison population in the Grand Canyon has exploded. When a range is over stocked, animals can do damage to the land that will take decades to repair, perhaps centuries in land like the Grand Canyon.

Anyway, their foolhardy acts is a boon to folks in the Southwest that want to shoot a Buffalo. California, if your out there. Check it out. I can see this being perfect for you.
PLATA O PLOMO

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am
Federal Gov once again displays they cannot manage animals.
https://www.foxnews.com/us/national-par ... and-canyon

The Feds have been a miserable failure at managing Bison, from early US government policy in the 19th C, and the tradition continues today. They have failed to properly manage the herd in Yellowstone for decades. Then the genius' thought, we need Bison all over to mismanage. Now the Bison population in the Grand Canyon has exploded. When a range is over stocked, animals can do damage to the land that will take decades to repair, perhaps centuries in land like the Grand Canyon.

Anyway, their foolhardy acts is a boon to folks in the Southwest that want to shoot a Buffalo. California, if your out there. Check it out. I can see this being perfect for you.

Man, I would love to get in on that.

DB might dig it too, he can go full on Guy on a Buffalo.
DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

:lol: :lol:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue May 04, 2021 3:44 pm

I don’t see the issue here. They re-introduced bison and wolves. Let em figure it out.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Tue May 04, 2021 3:47 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 3:44 pm
I don’t see the issue here. They re-introduced bison and wolves. Let em figure it out.
Given the current distribution, abundance, density and the expected growth of the bison herd on the North Rim, the NPS is concerned about increased impacts on park resources such as water, vegetation, soils, archaeological sites and values such as visitor experience and wilderness character. Reducing the herd size will protect the park ecosystem, resources and values.

I mean, I understand their concerns. There's no frontier anymore.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 04, 2021 3:50 pm

doc_loliday wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 pm

DB might dig it too, he can go full on Guy on a Buffalo.
DBTrek wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 10:02 am
:lol: :lol:
I'll ride the buffalo, but I'm not shooting those poor prarie cows.
If there's too many of them seems like "starvation" would sort all that out, right?
:think: