14 Year-Old Electrocuted to Death by Cellphone

TheReal_ND

Re: 14 Year-Old Electrocuted to Death by Cellphone

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

Neither of those those things will kill you. I dropped a phone in my gas tank once. I don't care about the condition of the cable. It won't even conduct unless 100% of the cable is good to go and then there is a power brick on the other side. You have to be stupid to believe this story. Something is up and she looks like a target for satanic pedophiles if I can be quite honest.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:42 pm

and i also dont totally get on board this idea that a charging cable dropped water will discharge like this.

i'll have to go look at some things about current limiters, but i swear i saw a thing about devices having a current shutoff that cuts the current if it surges, and them being required on all consumer electronics. the point of the piece was to show that dropping a modern appliance in a bathtub wouldn't kill you because the device itself was engineered to cut the current if that happened.

it's this,

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:51 pm

a while back, i told my wife about something that happened earlier in the day.

i was on my computer when i saw a message about an unrecognized device being plugged in. i looked down and saw my daughter had my usb cable in her mouth. the whole thing was nothing more than a funny story about how my computer said my daughter was an unrecognized device. she's ruined a ton of usb charging cables by putting them in her mouth while plugged in.

this is why i'm finding this story hard to believe. it's been years since i saw that piece about the old fashioned notion about being electrocuted in a bathtub by a hairdryer falling in not being true anymore.

my wife likes to take... maybe i shouldn't tell you about her taking baths in the whirlpool and watching trey gowdy on youtube.

forget i said that. i don't buy this story.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:27 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I don't believe her parents were dumb enough to hot wire a USB sans IGCF.

She was murdered and they dropped the phone in the tub beqcause "whoops that's what happens when you're in the tub."

I don't believe this. You have to go way way out your way to manage to kill yourself by dropping a small computer in the tub.

As a CompSci/EE, and as someone who writes patents on GFCIs - I agree with Nuke :doh:

Something ain't right here....Nearly all Lithium bats have built in fuses....as well as the phone itself...only thing is maybe the USB? but even then, it would have been hooked into a converter that would have a fuse...and....as stated above, it would be 12-24 VDC.....articles makes it sound like she got bit by 120VAC....

If it really was the phone - then there's one hell of a law suit coming - reasonable people use their phones while taking a bath all the time, because phones, when fully submerged, do not typically pump enough current out to kill....

Too bad we'll probably never get the whole truth here....

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:52 am

Some google searching leads me to believe that this was probably another battery fire.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/techno/cellcharge.asp

The burn marks on her hand definitely lead to that, because (I don't think) 120v is enough to burn the skin...

I was skeptical about the power transmission of a USB cable, but apparently, they can handle up to 500mA: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/q ... -usb-cable
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:37 am

Unless they are hot wiring a USB to a direct 120 line they don't transmit more than 12v from the inverter. I know it's possible for an overloaded battery to discharge excess voltage to ground but really? It will cause a fire but electrocution?

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:12 am

I have an iphone cable with a USB tip that plugs directly into a wall plug. There is no converter or power adapter in between.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 am

de officiis wrote:I have an iphone cable with a USB tip that plugs directly into a wall plug. There is no converter or power adapter in between.
The part that plugs into the wall is the power adapter, unless I'm mistaken.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:15 am

There has to be unless you are running 12v on that line or you just enjoy destroying batteries.

Most likely you have an inverter bank running a host of lines like I have in my van, though technically I could just wire up a USB directly to my car battery it's a bad idea.

Edit: though actually I guess when the inverter is off the USB lines run direct to battery but I have a battery running to the ignition battery so it act likes a capacitor and smooths out any voltage spikes anyway.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:24 am