Canadian Sniper 2+ Mile shot...

The Conservative

Re: Canadian Sniper 2+ Mile shot...

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:36 am

Smitty-48 wrote:Basically just comes down to not shifting around once you get into your fire position, otherwise, you basically just go a little bit lower with the front sight across the target, because I tended to go a little bit high from there, but once I got the feel for that range, I could pretty much do it like clockwork.
Pissed my father off one time doing something like that... made a smiley face out of the target.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:41 am

In some ways it's easier at that range with iron sights, the man sized target and the front sight are basically the same size, it's just a question of figuring out how far down the man you split it with the top of the front sight, then wash-rinse-repeat.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:44 am

Smitty-48 wrote:In some ways it's easier at that range with iron sights, the man sized target and the front sight are basically the same size, it's just a question of figuring out how far down the man you split it with the top of the front sight, then wash-rinse-repeat.
It is, but most people don't see it that way.

What most people don't do, and should learn how to breathe when shooting, it is such an intricate part of shooting a rifle, that and "fidgeting or flinching"
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:08 pm

The biggest challenge I see with taking a shot at 3540m, is the multiple winds between you and there, most things can be calculated from a fixed point of reference, but without wind meters at intervals between you and the target, all wired in to you somehow, there's no technology in the world which can tell you what the winds are doing out there on the 10 second trip to the man, so that's where skill and intuition comes into play, just have to look at things in the scope and try to figure what the winds are doing, based how stuff is blowing around or not, at multiple points between you and there, then you just have to rely on your intuition about the wind for the timing of the shot, the rest just comes down trigger control.

Coud be three winds or so at over two miles, so it could be left, then right, then left again, no tail, then headwind, so basically have to make a wind plan for a certain interval, preferably a calm obviously, when you see that calm blow in again, you go for it.

The wind has a rhythm to it, it's like breath, it breathes in it breathes out, just like you do, you just have to try to get in the groove with it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:24 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:The biggest challenge I see with taking a shot at 3540m, is the multiple winds between you and there, most things can be calculated from a fixed point of reference, but without wind meters at intervals between you and the target, all wired in to you somehow, there's no technology in the world which can tell you what the winds are doing out there on the 10 second trip to the man, so that's where skill and intuition comes into play, just have to look at things in the scope and try to figure what the winds are doing, based how stuff is blowing around or not, at multiple points between you and there, then you just have to rely on your intuition about the wind for the timing of the shot, the rest just comes down trigger control.

Coud be three winds or so at over two miles, so it could be left, then right, then left again, no tail, then headwind, so basically have to make a wind plan for a certain interval, preferably a calm obviously, when you see that calm blow in again, you go for it.
I agree, the wind is always the largest factor, but in reality, the tech they have on that gun sort of gives a lot of the guesswork out of it. Wind is practically figured out for you in many cases. Also, for a target that far away, multi-wind directions may actually help the end result. Again, my opinion.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:28 pm

Multiple winds could help, they could hinder, it all depends on the winds and your ability to read the signs, I would say that he didn't take this shot in the middle of a windstorm tho, let's put it that way, had to have been pretty calm.

Multiple winds symmetrical, could help with the flight plan, multiple winds swirling, not so much, depends on the vectors.

There's no tech on the gun which is telling them anything about the wind at 2 miles btw, it's a Tac-50 with a standard scope, it's not that high tech, they have a windspeed meter, they have a barometer, they have a thermometer, but that only tells them about the conditions where they are, that doesn't tell them anything about two miles away, and no, they're not up there with a whole van full of high tech kit, it's not the bridge of the Starship Enterprize out at the OP.

They're deployed patrol order, and a lot of shit has to be carried in the ruck, water, rations, ammo, there's not that much room, to be carrying anything beyond their standard off the shelf kit.

Whatever superkit you're dreaming about, that's not how they roll, scopes, binos, weather meters, calculator, laser rangefinder, a camera with telephoto lens, maybe a laptop, that's about it.

The difference between what they carry now and what they carried 25 years ago? It's not that different, it's JTF2, they had all this stuff back in the 90's when they were formed, the new kit is basically just smaller and lighter versions of the old kit.

If you think they're packing some sort of super duper digital fire control system which is just point and click at two miles? No. This is Canada, dude, get real, they don't have the budget for that, not even JTF2.

I know exactly what CANSOFCOM has in the stores at Dwyer Hill, and I can tell you right now, it's not that fancy, the Canadian government is cheapskate, even for JTF2, they have to make do with a lot of stuff too, just like everybody else in the Canadian military.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:03 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Multiple winds could help, they could hinder, it all depends on the winds and your ability to read the signs, I would say that he didn't take this shot in the middle of a windstorm tho, let's put it that way, had to have been pretty calm.

Multiple winds symmetrical, could help with the flight plan, multiple winds swirling, not so much, depends on the vectors.

There's no tech on the gun which is telling them anything about the wind at 2 miles btw, it's a Tac-50 with a standard scope, it's not that high tech, they have a windspeed meter, they have a barometer, they have a thermometer, but that only tells them about the conditions where they are, that doesn't tell them anything about two miles away, and no, they're not up there with a whole van full of high tech kit, it's not the bridge of the Starship Enterprize out at the OP.

They're deployed patrol order, and a lot of shit has to be carried in the ruck, water, rations, ammo, there's not that much room, to be carrying anything beyond their standard off the shelf kit.

Whatever superkit you're dreaming about, that's not how they roll, scopes, binos, weather meters, calculator, laser rangefinder, a camera with telephoto lens, maybe a laptop, that's about it.

The difference between what they carry now and what they carried 25 years ago? It's not that different, it's JTF2, they had all this stuff back in the 90's when they were formed, the new kit is basically just smaller and lighter versions of the old kit.

If you think they're packing some sort of super duper digital fire control system which is just point and click at two miles? No. This is Canada, dude, get real, they don't have the budget for that, not even JTF2.

I know exactly what CANSOFCOM has in the stores at Dwyer Hill, and I can tell you right now, it's not that fancy, the Canadian government is cheap, even for JTF2.
Trajectory Compensation Scopes do exist, they may not solve all issues, but they take a lot of guesswork from the shooter. And they aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:08 pm

But I know that JTF2 is not using any sort of fancy scopes, I know exactly which scopes they are using, they only have two, a Leopold, and a Schmidt & Bender, and there's nothing special about either of them, they're not fancy, they're not new, it's not Delta Force, dude, for the same number of guys, Delta has a budget fifty times that of JTF2's, maybe a hundred times if you count their JSOC support elements, JTF2 has a budget and it has to go a long way, JTF2 is basically just using the same sniper kit as the army does, and there are no fancy dancy super scopes involved.

With JTF2, it's not about the kit, it's all about the shooters, they spend the money on training, the training budget eats up most of their capital, when it comes to kit, they don't spend big on that, they basically just use the same kit as the rest of the military, with a few extras thrown in here and there.

Like, they will blow big money on things which cannot be had from existing stores, so they might go to Arizona to skydive all winter, things like that, but if they need a sniper rifle, they basically just take the one already in service, with the existing kit to go with it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm

There's no special JTF2 sniper course neither, btw, guys from the sniper platoons just go for JTF2 selection and training, the JTF2 sniper troops are pretty much the same as the Infantry battalion sniper platoons, they've just taken the Special Operations Assaulters course on top.

That's the only difference between JTF2 and everybody else, it's one course, the SOA course, and it's a damn hard course, no doubt about it, but it's not a be all and end all course, it's an Assaulters course, but it's not a sniper course, it's not an everything course, there are specific EO's and PO's, and if you pass all of them, and they like you, you're JFT2, but if you're a JTF2 sniper, odds are you were an army sniper already when you arrived for selection, so you're already qualified sniper, they don't run another course just for JTF2.

There's only one sniper course in the Canadian Forces, it's the same standard for all snipers, including CANSOFCOM and JTF2 therein, although in JTF2, no doubt the ammo budget is exponentially greater than in battalion, but again, they spend the money on training.
Nec Aspera Terrent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:58 pm

The Conservative wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I am not saying training doesn't matter, but cripes, if I had that tech and got back into training for this again, I'd be able to make the shot myself.
Oh, it's fucking crazy distance.

All that tech is readily available to you, invest about $25K and you can start training. Good Luck finding a 2 Mile range to shoot on.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/664819711

My best long shot ever at a live animal was 600 yards, and that isn't even long, though luck and skill did converge for the kill(coyote on the run). My max range is really about 800 yards, though my 300 win Mag is capable of longer shots. I have no desires to shoot long distance, I will marvel at those that can and do.
Scope or no?
:lol: Scope
I laugh, because I have an Astigmatism and I'm nearsighted, which doesn't help at all in shooting, and as I get older, my eyes get fatigued quickly. I'm no good with iron sites past 400 yards. Right now, if I shoot 50 shots at distance with iron sites my picture starts to get fuzzy.

A running coyote is one of the hardest things to hit. First of all a coyote in any give spot of his body is no bigger than and 8inch by 8 inch target and they can run at well over 40 MPH. So yeah, my shot was a lot of luck, but it takes a certain amount of skill as well to even be within a barn distance of an animal moving at that range. I was young then, eyes were pretty good and I was probably shooting 10,000 rounds of 22LR a year not to mention other calibers.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience