Canadian Sniper 2+ Mile shot...

The Conservative

Canadian Sniper 2+ Mile shot...

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:21 am

Ok, I know this has been discussed, but let us be real here, the shot was only possible using technology... and I don't mean the bullet, or the gun itself.

Here is an image of the sniper setup the Canadian snipers use today:

Notice all that extra hardware on the rifle? That's not for looks... that gives the sniper an ability to shoot well beyond normal means. I am not saying it's not an impressive shot, but let us give credit where it's due. Without the technology to help a lot, the shot never would have been possible.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Re: Canadian Sniper 2+ Mile shot...

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:51 am

You know I was kind of screwing with Smitty a little on this. :lol: ..........................OK, maybe a lot.

The technology is utterly impressive. However, it's still the guy behind the gun. At 2 miles distance, the margin of error is utterly non-existent. Your heartbeat could literally be difference between a hit and a miss at that distance.

Props to my Canadian brothers in arms, Commonwealth Snipers and American Technology, a deadly combination.

One thing I am curious about in recent sniper activity is why are the British Commonwealth troops taking these long shots ?
Are the Americans taking them and missing them, or not authorized to shoot ? The Brits have had an edge on us with Snipers in the last hundred years, but damn Yanks, we better start putting are names at the top of this list again.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:54 am

Well, in the end, the JTF2 sniper basically said; "just going to go for it here, it's too far to be sure, but even if I miss, maybe I can disrupt the ambush and warn the guys walking into it", then he just hit the guy on the first shot, so not saying he didn't make his calculations, but he was kind of winging it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:34 am

C-Mag wrote:You know I was kind of screwing with Smitty a little on this. :lol: ..........................OK, maybe a lot.

The technology is utterly impressive. However, it's still the guy behind the gun. At 2 miles distance, the margin of error is utterly non-existent. Your heartbeat could literally be difference between a hit and a miss at that distance.

Props to my Canadian brothers in arms, Commonwealth Snipers and American Technology, a deadly combination.

One thing I am curious about in recent sniper activity is why are the British Commonwealth troops taking these long shots ?
Are the Americans taking them and missing them, or not authorized to shoot ? The Brits have had an edge on us with Snipers in the last hundred years, but damn Yanks, we better start putting are names at the top of this list again.
I am not saying training doesn't matter, but cripes, if I had that tech and got back into training for this again, I'd be able to make the shot myself.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:36 am

The Conservative wrote:
C-Mag wrote:You know I was kind of screwing with Smitty a little on this. :lol: ..........................OK, maybe a lot.

I am not saying training doesn't matter, but cripes, if I had that tech and got back into training for this again, I'd be able to make the shot myself.
:leans forward to watch:
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:50 am

The Conservative wrote:

Oh, it's fucking crazy distance.

All that tech is readily available to you, invest about $25K and you can start training. Good Luck finding a 2 Mile range to shoot on.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/664819711

My best long shot ever at a live animal was 600 yards, and that isn't even long, though luck and skill did converge for the kill(coyote on the run). My max range is really about 800 yards, though my 300 win Mag is capable of longer shots. I have no desires to shoot long distance, I will marvel at those that can and do.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:16 am

C-Mag wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

Oh, it's fucking crazy distance.

All that tech is readily available to you, invest about $25K and you can start training. Good Luck finding a 2 Mile range to shoot on.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/664819711

My best long shot ever at a live animal was 600 yards, and that isn't even long, though luck and skill did converge for the kill(coyote on the run). My max range is really about 800 yards, though my 300 win Mag is capable of longer shots. I have no desires to shoot long distance, I will marvel at those that can and do.
Scope or no?
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:22 am

I've made consistent shots centre of mass at 600m with a FN FAL over iron sights, that was basically the standard when I joined and the FN FAL was the service rifle, that was just part of the infantry personal weapons test, groupings at 600, right before you commenced the run down. With seven-six-two, totally doable.

With the Parker-Hale C3, scoped, also seven-six-two, 800m headshots, also doable, albeit not as consistently, and that was with putting a square of white patches on the head of the fig 11.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:31 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I've made consistent shots centre of mass at 600m with a FN FAL over iron sights, that was basically the standard when I joined and the FN FAL was the service rifle, that was just part of the infantry personal weapons test, groupings at 600, right before you commenced the run down. With seven-six-two, totally doable.
Was going to say, 600 with iron sights is very doable, used to do that at the local range all the time. It was fun.
#NotOneRedCent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:35 am

Basically just comes down to not shifting around once you get into your fire position, otherwise, you just go a little bit lower with the front sight across the target, because I tended to go a little bit high from there, but once I got the feel for that range, I could pretty much do it like clockwork.
Nec Aspera Terrent