The book I'm working on.

The Conservative

Re: The book I'm working on.

Post by The Conservative » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:40 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Not the kind of book I would normally choose to read (with the exception of Pratchet) I would never have read The Last Changeling if it had not been written by someone who has been a freind for nearly 30 years. Most of my book collection is non-fiction.
Same with TC's book, in a library I would just walk past the fantasy section on my way to the history books.
Obviously I read Tolkein as a kid, who didn't, but the rather dry ancient history of The Silmarillion was always my favourite of his works.
Teenage vampire books? I'll take a pass thanks I've still not read enough about bronze age hill fort construction.
That's the thing, I don't like standard fantasy, I like a story within a story, I like multi-level complexity in a story. I enjoy a story that has depth, and not easy to figure out in the first few chapters. I also enjoy history, I love history actually, but that is also a problem with writing, I have to create a story with history merged in the middle of it to make it more something I'd enjoy reading.

The vampire stories, my wife read, and she told me I'd not enjoy them... I tried to watch the show but it just got me angry...

One of the things I have done is that all the races were brought on by magic that splintered one race into what we see now. Each race has their own culture, and you will see how they interact with each other because each race was created to balance or give superiority over other races they were fighting against at the time.

I have also created lands, and regions, as well as regional cultures I have touched upon in the first 10 chapters, which will be expanded upon as time goes by, but right now I am starting to get the book moving, and that for me is tough because I have so much rolling on my head, I don't need to get bogged down with the details...
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:01 pm

So the editor is still on chapter 9. I just finished chapter 13.

So far, based off of a 250 word count per page, we are looking at 300 pages. I am judging by 330 words a page so about 228 pages.

83k words so far and I’m going to put a fire under the characters ass and see what they do.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:28 pm

Done.
Done.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:16 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:28 pm
Done.

Done.png
Congratulations.
Are you going to try to find a publisher or will you self publish?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:43 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Done.
Bravo Zulu.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Two years of my life wasted. I should write a book.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:16 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Done.

Done.png
Congratulations.
Are you going to try to find a publisher or will you self publish?
Going to write a prequel, then publish them both. It's going to be probably around 90K if I can help it. It's going to go into the history of the world. This one is a bit complex, and I don't want the readers to be doing WTF after a few chapters.

I realized that after 2/3 of the book was written. I just needed to finish this before starting on another.

As for am I going to go for a publisher or self-publishing? I'm going for a publisher. If I am going to be able to get on the best seller's list, I can't be self-published.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:43 pm
The Conservative wrote:
Done.
Bravo Zulu.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:02 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:45 pm
Two years of my life wasted. I should write a book.
Mine is already in the works. In the face of genocidal annihilation by the unicorn army, lesbian forest pixies join forces with the dog men in a holy war of liberation, only to discover their destiny to make pixie dog babies.