The book I'm working on.

Montegriffo

Re: The book I'm working on.

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:21 am

A very good freind of mine wrote this book about malevelant fairies,,
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Last-Changelin ... B00B90EIRQ
A fairy isn't a being of light. Far from it. It is a malign entity. When Sherlock Holmes' brilliant creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle encountered the Fey , they made him believe that the infamous Cottingley pictures were images of real fairies. The fairy folk used his fame to 'prove' they don't exist - and destroyed his reputation.
Within their traditional haunts of hill fort and and barrow these creatures are dangerous enough, but now they are abandoning the countryside to infest our city spaces like urban foxes. They prey upon us and our unwillingness to believe in them leaves us wide open to attack.
As this centuries old, covert war heats up, it falls to a shambling figure known only as 'D' to keep us safe - and ignorant of the nightmares that lurk, hidden in the every day world that we call 'reality'.

A contemporary British fantasy, The Last Changeling is no fairy story. It reveals the hidden story behind present day real people, historical figures, and true events.
It's not troubling the best sellers list but her monthly sales on Amazon have been paying her morgage for the last 3 years.
The second book in the series has been delayed by her going to University (in her late 50's) to obtain a degree in creative writing.
I can ask if she has time to look over the first few chapters if you want. She will be an honest (and possibly brutal) critic and might be able to offer some tips on writing and promoting your book. As you know I have enjoyed reading it so far and I wish you well so this is a genuine offer if you wish to take it up.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:37 am

Montegriffo wrote:A very good freind of mine wrote this book about malevelant fairies,,
A fairy isn't a being of light. Far from it. It is a malign entity. When Sherlock Holmes' brilliant creator, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle encountered the Fey , they made him believe that the infamous Cottingley pictures were images of real fairies. The fairy folk used his fame to 'prove' they don't exist - and destroyed his reputation.
Within their traditional haunts of hill fort and and barrow these creatures are dangerous enough, but now they are abandoning the countryside to infest our city spaces like urban foxes. They prey upon us and our unwillingness to believe in them leaves us wide open to attack.
As this centuries old, covert war heats up, it falls to a shambling figure known only as 'D' to keep us safe - and ignorant of the nightmares that lurk, hidden in the every day world that we call 'reality'.

A contemporary British fantasy, The Last Changeling is no fairy story. It reveals the hidden story behind present day real people, historical figures, and true events.
It's not troubling the best sellers list but her monthly sales on Amazon have been paying her morgage for the last 3 years.
The second book in the series has been delayed by her going to University (in her late 50's) to obtain a degree in creative writing.
I can ask if she has time to look over the first few chapters if you want. She will be an honest (and possibly brutal) critic and might be able to offer some tips on writing and promoting your book. As you know I have enjoyed reading it so far and I wish you well so this is a genuine offer if you wish to take it up.
Sure, give me time to get the first few chapters set up I want at least up to 7 for her to look at. (Chapter 10 is where the fae show their true form) As for me, the fae are far from the kind creatures most people have them believe they are today. And I'm glad you enjoyed the chapters, I always prefer an unbiased opinion... I would rather someone be honest than tell me fluff.

Means I get a better book out of it.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:51 am

What I enjoyed most about Fiona's story are the historical references. She's a keen historian and was able to use her knowledge to weave real people and moments into a conspiracy theory type story that leaves you wondering what is fact and what is fiction...

Oops, didn't mean to plug her book in your thread, carry on.....
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Montegriffo wrote:What I enjoyed most about Fiona's story are the historical references. She's a keen historian and was able to use her knowledge to weave real people and moments into a conspiracy theory type story that leaves you wondering what is fact and what is fiction...

Oops, didn't mean to plug her book in your thread, carry on.....
NP, in my case I'm trying to write my own history, this region doesn't exist on any map. I thought about using real world and bringing it in, but it's been done to death.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:37 pm

And as for me and IT...

#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:29 pm

The Conservative wrote:And as for me and IT...

This. Fuck windows 10 hard.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:29 am

The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:A very good freind of mine wrote this book about malevelant fairies,,

Sure, give me time to get the first few chapters set up I want at least up to 7 for her to look at. (Chapter 10 is where the fae show their true form) As for me, the fae are far from the kind creatures most people have them believe they are today. And I'm glad you enjoyed the chapters, I always prefer an unbiased opinion... I would rather someone be honest than tell me fluff.

Means I get a better book out of it.
Have you read the Southern Vampire books (the ones True Blood were based on)? The fae in those books had the same kind of form that you're talking about
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:45 am

Not the kind of book I would normally choose to read (with the exception of Pratchet) I would never have read The Last Changeling if it had not been written by someone who has been a freind for nearly 30 years. Most of my book collection is non-fiction.
Same with TC's book, in a library I would just walk past the fantasy section on my way to the history books.
Obviously I read Tolkein as a kid, who didn't, but the rather dry ancient history of The Silmarillion was always my favourite of his works.
Teenage vampire books? I'll take a pass thanks I've still not read enough about bronze age hill fort construction.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:44 am

Montegriffo wrote:Not the kind of book I would normally choose to read (with the exception of Pratchet) I would never have read The Last Changeling if it had not been written by someone who has been a freind for nearly 30 years. Most of my book collection is non-fiction.
Same with TC's book, in a library I would just walk past the fantasy section on my way to the history books.
Obviously I read Tolkein as a kid, who didn't, but the rather dry ancient history of The Silmarillion was always my favourite of his works.
Teenage vampire books? I'll take a pass thanks I've still not read enough about bronze age hill fort construction.
I read them literally as a snack, it was fun because i would read a whole book in two nights. I loved the HBO show based on the books so I figured I'd gay myself up and read the books

That reminds me though, I have to try the Simarillion again
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:24 am

It was a while ago now but I remember the Silmarillion as a hard read. Partly because of Tolkein's habit of giving many of his major characters two or three names each. It appealed to the history nerd in me though, even if it was fictional history. It also helped me to understand some of the motives of the characters in the Hobbit and LOTR.
Not sure I would have the patience to ever read it again though....