The book I'm working on.

The Conservative

Re: The book I'm working on.

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:19 am

heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
236 pages in 4 months is quite a bit of writing and editing. I'm surprised you have the energy and parience for that considering you have a job and a family. Keep on keeping on man! When I was a lot younger, I wanted to write a book. Then I realized I couldn't think of anything to write about lol
I only have it, because I want to give my son a better life, and any proceeds of this book will go straight to that.
What do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking?
Director of Infrastructure which encompasses all purchases for the company, IT, and technology overall. I also am responsible for the entire network infrastructure, and security of the company as a whole.

Trust me, fighting with Microsoft, Google, and Apple and winning is a great feeling.
#NotOneRedCent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:02 am

The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I only have it, because I want to give my son a better life, and any proceeds of this book will go straight to that.
Director of Infrastructure which encompasses all purchases for the company, IT, and technology overall. I also am responsible for the entire network infrastructure, and security of the company as a whole.

Trust me, fighting with Microsoft, Google, and Apple and winning is a great feeling.
There are quite a few IT guys on this forum. Its the field I am working towards right now, though I am a ways off. What programming language do you use most?
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:38 am

heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

There are quite a few IT guys on this forum. Its the field I am working towards right now, though I am a ways off. What programming language do you use most?
I don't anymore, but when in the day, VBA, Fortran, and Basic. lol...
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:47 am

heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

There's a difference between 'programmer' and IT. If you want to code, just choose between JavaScript, C, and maybe VBA, depending on what you want to work on. You'll be doing project work on company software, working with a big team on milestones to create something.

If you want to work in IT support, your focus should be more on databases, Excel, networking, and general computer knowledge. Languages include Cisco IOS, SQL, and VBA. There's a whole range of jobs in both fields, but they're pretty distinct.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:54 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

There's a difference between 'programmer' and IT. If you want to code, just choose between JavaScript, C, and maybe VBA, depending on what you want to work on. You'll be doing project work on company software, working with a big team on milestones to create something.

If you want to work in IT support, your focus should be more on databases, Excel, networking, and general computer knowledge. Languages include Cisco IOS, SQL, and VBA. There's a whole range of jobs in both fields, but they're pretty distinct.
You were telling me that you used a lot of SQL at NASA right? I know you are doing IT as well GCF.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:55 am

The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

My dad worked for a defense contractor. He loves Fortran. He said its a "cockroach" language. In other words, it will survive on because it is very useful and resilient, as a bunch of ancient government programs and systems are run on it.
Last edited by heydaralon on Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:57 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

I'm taking intro to databases next semester. I'm kind of worried tbh
Shikata ga nai

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 am

heydaralon wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
My dad worked for a defense contractor. He loves Fortran. He said its a "cockroach" language. In other words, it will survive on because it is very useful and resilient, as a bunch of ancient government programs and systems are run on it.
Yup, my father used to use it working for the State of Mass working on their databases and other things for the Department of Parks, etc...
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:25 pm

heydaralon wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

You were telling me that you used a lot of SQL at NASA right? I know you are doing IT as well GCF.
I've kinda built my career around SQL. At the time I went back to school, it wasn't offered in classes, so I knew it would be valuable.

I work in business systems support - basically, the IT guy for all the accounting/purchasing/management systems. SQL is the language of the databases that supply that information. It's true programming, but not in the sense of managing memory resources and compiling. IMO, it's a lot easier to get into than C and the others, and a lot more widely used. Every company has a database and business systems, not every company writes their own software.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:56 am

So as things are going forward, I've written 1/2 my first book already by my own "limitations" of 500 pages (150K words)... and it's a slog, I'll tell you that, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I'll be pushing out the first 10 chapters here In about a month or so after a second round of editing happens. Then you'll have to buy the book when it's published or are on my Advanced Reader's List. (final editors before it goes to publications)

I have created cultures and a new world in where you have fae, dwarves, ogres, trolls, humans, dragons, and all kinds of magic in between. I've created story lines that are going to take a lot of time to tell, and it will be forced into multiple books by the way this is going.

So bear with me on the story on getting it pushed out here, I will have it ready soon-ish.
#NotOneRedCent