So I leave for a day, and they break things...

The Conservative

So I leave for a day, and they break things...

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:22 am

So I leave for a day because my son is having issues such as a rash and my wife thinks its an ear ache... I kept on telling her he's teething, of course she doesn't listen to me... (the doctor confirmed I was right btw)... so I have to take a day off to waste on this...

We are to move people from an office to another, and while I am out... so I can't make sure everything is moved over correctly so it's a literal "plug and play" situation...

I come back, and telephones are without power because they move to a room that doesn't have enough plugs. The computers aren't connected up to the network because there aren't enough ethernet ports... and those that are moved over are moved to the wrong network because well they don't know how to read...

I had to come in at 7:00 this morning to "verify" everything was done correctly... I had to do an emergency buy for products to make sure that everything will be up and running tomorrow, and I spent the last hour re-wiring everything just to make sure that they at least have a moniker of normalcy when they come in today...

On top of that I need to order 4 new phones because well... reasons!

I get paid, but not enough to deal with this... now I got to tell people why they don't have everything set up correctly... I work with some of the smartest people I know, but they showed me when it comes to physical technology, they are idiot savants...
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Re: So I leave for a day, and they break things...

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:28 am

Turn it off and turn it on again!

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:29 am

Not idiot savants, just idiots.

I think of how easy it is for me to set up a computer, or a workstation, or even some more broadcast specific equipment and simply do not get how the rest of the general public cannot do this. I'm not smart, and I'm not particular handy either. Are people just this retarded?

Neal Stephenson's description of the Slines ("baselines") in Anathem is so prophetic about the general public
"The others seemed a typical mix of burgers, artisans, and slines. The latter were recognizable from a distance. They were huge. Some artisans and burgers were huge too, but they wore clothes intended to hide it. The current sline fashion was to wear a garment evolved from an athletic jersey (bright, with numerals on the back) but oversized, so that shoulder seams hung around the elbows, and extremely long—descending all the way to the knee. The trousers were too long to be shorts and too short to be pants—they hung a hand’s-breadth below the jersey but still exposed a few inches of chunky calf, plunging into enormous, thickly padded shoes. Headgear was a burnoose blazoned with beverage logos whose loose ends trailed down the back, and dark goggles strapped over that and never removed, even indoors."
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:02 am

California wrote:Not idiot savants, just idiots.

I think of how easy it is for me to set up a computer, or a workstation, or even some more broadcast specific equipment and simply do not get how the rest of the general public cannot do this. I'm not smart, and I'm not particular handy either. Are people just this retarded?

Neal Stephenson's description of the Slines ("baselines") in Anathem is so prophetic about the general public
"The others seemed a typical mix of burgers, artisans, and slines. The latter were recognizable from a distance. They were huge. Some artisans and burgers were huge too, but they wore clothes intended to hide it. The current sline fashion was to wear a garment evolved from an athletic jersey (bright, with numerals on the back) but oversized, so that shoulder seams hung around the elbows, and extremely long—descending all the way to the knee. The trousers were too long to be shorts and too short to be pants—they hung a hand’s-breadth below the jersey but still exposed a few inches of chunky calf, plunging into enormous, thickly padded shoes. Headgear was a burnoose blazoned with beverage logos whose loose ends trailed down the back, and dark goggles strapped over that and never removed, even indoors."

Reminds me of Douglas Adams about the Universe making better idiots.

I mean I know I'm not the smartest person in the room, but these guys... its the first time I can actually ask them WTF were they thinking... and feel like I have the upper hand on them. These guys are programmers, graphic designers, etc... I've done their jobs before in one form or another... my job is simple compared to what they do I think, but making sure things are plugged in... that seems to be beyond their logical thinking processes...

I don't know... Just seems like people no longer have common sense... it's like it was breed out of them.
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:34 am

California wrote:Not idiot savants, just idiots.

Nobody does nerd like Stephenson. Nobody. :goteam: