Bill Maher Apologizes (Kind of)

SilverEagle

Re: Bill Maher Apologizes (Kind of)

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:10 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:This was an akward episode. First there was about a 20 minute apology/lecturing to with I believe a black reverend/writer Michael Eric Dyson(Tears We Cannot Stop: A Sermon To White America). Then Ice Cube came in on the end to say what he thought about white privilege and using the n word. Shit got weird.
http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2 ... the-n-word

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... the-n-word

https://www.amazon.com/Tears-We-Cannot- ... 1250135990

This was embarrassing. I'm starting to realize what pseudo black intellectuals want and think shit might get real sooner than you'd think. Its getting really trendy to talk about white "privilege" and we're going to hear more about reparations or some form of control and "mitigation" of whiteness.
Bill Maher is still on TV? :lol:
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:29 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: How about attempting to win the debate? I could have guessed what you think based on your posting history.

OK, how do you account for Blacks being under represented at the Oscars. They are 12% of the population, they have not been nominated or won more than 1% at the Oscars.
The problem (probably) isn't with the Oscars. They're under-represented in Hollywood. They don't get lead roles, except for a few heavy hitters.
The Rock and Denzel can open movies. Barely anyone else can do it. They are not under represented.
C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

OK, how do you account for Blacks being under represented at the Oscars. They are 12% of the population, they have not been nominated or won more than 1% at the Oscars.
You do know that the Oscars are bullshit anyways? If we were to count we should start post 1968 or something in terms of being relevant to a conversation taking place now.
Yes, they are complete Bullshit, Insiders Only Exclusive Club........ for the Elites only.
So, you want a debate, but you want to rule out half of the data pool ? :lol:
Can I take that as an admission that Hollywood was Racist at least until 1968?

So, not to bog down the debate, I will argue Hollywood demonstrates racism in the last 50 years
Compare the advances for people of color in other entertainment industries and Government in the last 50 years.
- Major sports are now dominated by people of color
-Sports Networks often run entire panels and broadcasts with just black people in front of the camera
-Black Coaches leading teams are common and have won titles
- but still no black owners
- People of color run their own music labels
- People of color dominate entire genres of music that is enjoyed by all races
-In government, we've had people of color fill every conceivable position, including POTUS, Sec of State, Leading Generals, etc

How does that stack up against Hollywood ?
-Black actors have won maybe 12 awards in 50 years in the 4 major acting categories. That's a ratio of 12/200 or 6%. Blacks are 12% of the population, with all people of color making up 30% of the population.
- How about people of color in other areas in Hollywood, film producers, directors, composers, writers, sound editors, film production, costumes or visual effects?
That's not why they are bullshit and it's not for elites only. You don't see me regularly denying historical facts, do you? You could get randomly 6% especially considering that black actors compete with Commonwealth actors also. Artistic success is random, it will never match demographics.

There are visible black directors, rarely pay attention to the rest. You think in uber liberal California those people want to keep the black talent down?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: You do know that the Oscars are bullshit anyways? If we were to count we should start post 1968 or something in terms of being relevant to a conversation taking place now.
Yes, they are complete Bullshit, Insiders Only Exclusive Club........ for the Elites only.

So, not to bog down the debate, I will argue Hollywood demonstrates racism in the last 50 years
Compare the advances for people of color in other entertainment industries and Government in the last 50 years.
-Sports Networks often run entire panels and broadcasts with just black people in front of the camera
-In government, we've had people of color fill every conceivable position, including POTUS, Sec of State, Leading Generals, etc

-Black actors have won maybe 12 awards in 50 years in the 4 major acting categories. That's a ratio of 12/200 or 6%. Blacks are 12% of the population, with all people of color making up 30% of the population.
- How about people of color in other areas in Hollywood, film producers, directors, composers, writers, sound editors, film production, costumes or visual effects?
That's not why they are bullshit and it's not for elites only. You don't see me regularly denying historical facts, do you? You could get randomly 6% especially considering that black actors compete with Commonwealth actors also. Artistic success is random, it will never match demographics.

There are visible black directors, rarely pay attention to the rest. You think in uber liberal California those people want to keep the black talent down?
You never addressed the advances of people of color in other industries and government in the last 50 years. Heck, there have been more Astronauts of Color than there have been Oscar winners............. think about that.

You are trying to refute my numbers and facts with your feelings and observations of a small data set. Not much of a debate. Kick it up a notch Hwen, you're better than this.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:02 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

You never addressed the advances of people of color in other industries and government in the last 50 years. Heck, there have been more Astronauts of Color than there have been Oscar winners............. think about that.

You are trying to refute my numbers and facts with your feelings and observations of a small data set. Not much of a debate. Kick it up a notch Hwen, you're better than this.
You have this giant all encompassing data set for me? Oscars are a very narrow data set.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:48 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote:
C-Mag wrote:This is just another example of how the Left continually uses people of color like house slaves. When they need them to clean up the shit mess, the Massa calls the servants up to the big house for an appearance. But they still don't want them in them a part of their cotillions like the Oscars.
Why don't they want them to win Oscars exactly? please tell me.

I don't know, Racism I guess ?
Sure they say the right stuff all the time, but results matter over words.

I don't have another explanation for it. But go look at the historical list of nominees and winners. Clearly Blacks are not equally rewarded for their talents. Plus, Black roles given in Hollywood are very stereotypical for both men and women. All too often the only movie examples of black men are gang members and violent thugs.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think.
Nah it's the business. Black oscar bait sucks anymore. Its all preachy and one note, heavy handed. The Butler and Selma might as well have been the same fucking movie. 12 years a slave was a period piece and good. Birth of a nation, not so much. There is one example of the heavy handedness. Between the trailer for that movie, the Olympics, and the Hillary campaign playing that song to death that movie was played out before it was even in theaters.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:25 am

clubgop wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Why don't they want them to win Oscars exactly? please tell me.

I don't know, Racism I guess ?
Sure they say the right stuff all the time, but results matter over words.

I don't have another explanation for it. But go look at the historical list of nominees and winners. Clearly Blacks are not equally rewarded for their talents. Plus, Black roles given in Hollywood are very stereotypical for both men and women. All too often the only movie examples of black men are gang members and violent thugs.

Take a look at it and tell me what you think.
Nah it's the business. Black oscar bait sucks anymore. Its all preachy and one note, heavy handed. The Butler and Selma might as well have been the same fucking movie. 12 years a slave was a period piece and good. Birth of a nation, not so much. There is one example of the heavy handedness. Between the trailer for that movie, the Olympics, and the Hillary campaign playing that song to death that movie was played out before it was even in theaters.
:takes a shot of whiskey: I actually have to agree with Clubby here. :o Most movies starring black people tend to be about their oppression, or mind-numbing horror tales of slavery. Exceptions are the Tyler Perry movies, and black people that can speak without Ebonics - Denzel, Whoopi, Rock, etc.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:29 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

You have this giant all encompassing data set for me? Oscars are a very narrow data set.
You've got all of Hollywood to work with.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:38 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote: :takes a shot of whiskey: I actually have to agree with Clubby here. :o Most movies starring black people tend to be about their oppression, or mind-numbing horror tales of slavery. Exceptions are the Tyler Perry movies, and black people that can speak without Ebonics - Denzel, Whoopi, Rock, etc.
I agree as well, it's a huge part of the factor.
One of the biggest factors today is how movies are marketed and how they actually make money. International Sales (which causes its own problems). .
PLATA O PLOMO

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 am

Tyler Perry movies are garbage.. Is there any wonder why? Are Black People behind "Dear White People" ??? They were able to finally take control over their own music slowly throughout the 1990s so I see them doing the same with films/tv. etc. And technology will help that. Not really bothered at all that 12% of the population doesn't get 12% of the hollywood roles. There is never going to be an exact metric and quota for shit as subjective as art/film and nor should there be. There will never be satisfaction with the number of roles and positions in the film industry. Look at Kanyes stupid ass reactions during subjective reward ceremonies. He's not an outlier for the community he is the community. Fuck em.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

Nominated for best actor because of that.

Was defeated by Daniel Day Lewis for his role as Abraham Lincoln.

Daniel Day Lewis and Denzel Washington are two of my favorite actors. I am not sure I can say his part in Lincoln was better than Denzel Washington's part in Flight, but I think Washington was given so much more to work with.

I am not saying that's an easy call that year, but personally I would have given it to Washington.