Post by C-Mag » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:16 pm

Aging Muscle and the importance of exercise
https://www.the-scientist.com/features/ ... w-it-64708
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Re: Fitness Thread

Post by Fife » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm

You all are a really hip crowd. Which picture window do you put your Peloton in?

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/ ... 2331217920

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:24 pm

Fife wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:39 pm
You all are a really hip crowd. Which picture window do you put your Peloton in?

https://twitter.com/ClueHeywood/status/ ... 2331217920
I put mine facing the beautiful, mountain vista outside my wall of windows, out of the corner of my eye I can see my Mercedes benz SUV, that I use to take to my private jet used to get to climate changes conferences and Hollywood awards shows.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:34 am

https://furthermore.equinox.com/article ... ow-workout

This is a really good hiit program if you know animal flow.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:23 am

Valuable insight on alcohol consumption and your fitness goals.
Does Alcohol Halt Muscle Building?

You've probably heard alcohol crushes muscle building. And in this area you are probably correct. My friend back in college may have stayed lean, but his alcohol habit may have been the reason he couldn't put on size. Alcohol has several mechanisms that will negatively impact muscle protein synthesis and recovery from exercise. However, as long as you keep it moderate you may be safe.

Alcohol has these effects on muscle metabolism: raises myostatin, decreases glycogen resynthesis, decreases post-exercise inflammation (yes, this is a bad thing), suppresses exercise induced mTOR (likely by reducing cellular phosphatidic acid) and it may impair insulin and IGF-1 signaling. If you're not a biochemistry buff, all this equals BAD for muscle.

However, there does seem to be some caveats. An excellent review by Matthew J. Barnes published in the June 2014 issue of Sports Medicine shows some very clear rules when it comes to alcohol and highlights several studies you'll want to know about. In one study, Barnes gave subjects 1g/kg alcohol or a equal volume of a non-alcoholic beverage. These drinks were consumed 30 minutes after having them complete 300 eccentric reps for the quads (ouch!). So, basically there was a group drinking the hell out of some booze and another group getting their swerve on with a jug of Tropicana (the control group drank orange juice).

Both groups were trashed 36 and 60 hours after the workout in terms of strength in isometric (holding), concentric (raising), eccentric (lowering) contractions. But the alcohol group's muscles had a much worse hangover. They performed 22%, 12% and 15% percent worse in those three measures compared to the OJ group.

To make this more tangible for you, and so you can understand how much booze was consumed, 1g/kg is 1g/2.2pounds. That equates to about 80g of alcohol for a 180-pound person. And since the average alcoholic drink (4-5oz wine, 12oz beer, 1.5oz spirits) has about 14g of alcohol in it, if my math is right, that's about six alcoholic drinks.

So the study results are about what you'd expect, right? But here's the part that you'll love if you like to drink. Barnes did a similar study where he pitted 1g/kg alcohol consumption against .5g/kg alcohol consumption. And that showed once again that the 1g/kg alcohol level torpedoed muscle recovery, but the .5g/kg alcohol consumption had no effect.

So for that same 180-pound dude, six drinks crushed him. But three drinks and he stayed in the clear. That's a pretty useful rule of thumb if you ask me. And this same threshold level of .5g/kg alcohol is backed up on other studies showing higher levels negatively impact rehydration metabolism.
https://www.t-nation.com/diet-fat-loss/ ... to-alcohol

The bigger problem is that alcohol inihibits fat burning, so if you are cutting, you will want to limit your consumption to maybe one day per week, and always limit to the alcohol equivalent of about three 12 ounce servings of beer.

So.. for a man in his thirties and up.. you are always technically cutting somehow because your metabolism slowed down by now. You will want to limit your alcohol consumption to 3 drinks at a time to limit the effect on training, but if you are trying to keep the fat off (or lose it), limit your drinking to one day per week. Make that your cheat day. Otherwise, if you in your fat percentage goal, and want to drink occasionally, just limit yourself to the equivalent of three 12 ounce beers.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:45 am

If I ever drink alcohol, it messes up my whole program. Hunger, laziness, and everything else that's anathema to exercise and diet.

Does TRT help the fight against fat that we have when we're in our thirties and above? I'd love to be able to be a little less restrictive in my diet; I'm already burning over 3k calories a day.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:54 am

California wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:45 am
If I ever drink alcohol, it messes up my whole program. Hunger, laziness, and everything else that's anathema to exercise and diet.

Does TRT help the fight against fat that we have when we're in our thirties and above? I'd love to be able to be a little less restrictive in my diet; I'm already burning over 3k calories a day.
Like I said, if you reduce it to about three alcoholic drinks on a single off-day, it probably won't hurt you.

I train Mon-Fri and burn maybe 1.5-2.0k calories on those days. Sat and Sun are rest days. Sat is a cheat day and it's the day I will allow three drinks. At worst, the three drinks will affect what little hypertrophy I get late Saturday night, but a loss there is minimal for me since Friday night is mostly an isometric day.

By Monday, there is no effect on my training and certainly none on my hypertrophy.

As for the neurological adaptations.. I am not sure. All these studies are geared towards fucking bodybuilders and all they care about is hypertrophy. I suspect alcohol could have a modest impact on training your motor neurons to a specific movement pattern, but that training happens in real time. Just don't drink before you train and I doubt it will affect you.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:58 am

In fact, I'd say if your training goals like ours are mostly if not all skill-based, then you probably have quite a lot more freedom to drink alcohol than an athlete who trains strictly for hypertrophy or strength, since at least half or more of our training is the immediate neurological programming we get from repetitions. Just don't do those repetitions with alcohol in your system.

Still, fucking up hypertrophy seems like a terrible thing to do, so it's haram.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:01 am

The mace seems to be a growing fad in fitness.

Been around forever in India. I've been working some of these excercises at home. But I'm just using my 8 and 16 pound sledgehammers. Save me 50 to 100 bucks. The sledgehammer has an added dimension over the mace, it is unbalanced at the head too as it is oblong.
I like it because it replicates actual work and is great for core strength, and I'm going back to one meal a day, no beer, no alcohol during the week, only Whiskey on Friday or Saturday.............. or both as needed.

Anyone using this ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:05 am

No, but I would if the gym had them.

In general, typical weight training modalities are suboptimal, in my opinion, due to lack of randomness and motion restricted to two planes of motion.

There is not going to be as much carry over to practical tasks as many expect.