Apple is finally getting into AR and VR...

Speaker to Animals

Re: Apple is finally getting into AR and VR...

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:31 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:No, what I am saying is that you can simulate the real world by directly throwing light onto the retina in such a way that the brain will translate that to vision you recognize as real world. It wouldn't look any different than the real world, in theory.

The math required to do that is probably a bit complex. You'd need, at bare minimum, an applied mathematician, a physicist (with specialization in optics), and a computer science guy (also with specialization in image processing and a heavy dose of theoretical computer science) to work out the algorithm.

You wouldn't get sick from that. It wouldn't be any different than looking around in the real world.
If it was that reproducible don't you think companies like Oculus would have solved it already?

I am sure they have some research division sort of working on it, but big corporations like Facebook don't really innovate that way. They just buy up the patents from people who do.

For instance, the turbocoding algorithms used on all the high speed wireless networks were developed by some French guys. They patented it and now it's licensed to all the major wireless network manufacturers.

Most of those deep theoretical innovations are worked out by grad students. If you are business savvy enough, you can do what the founders of Google did and build a startup around it. But for something like that, you'd need massive capital infusion to start building prototypes and eventually get manufacturing contracts in China to be able to bring the headsets to market. You'd probably be better off selling it to somebody like Google or just licensing it out.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:34 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:No, what I am saying is that you can simulate the real world by directly throwing light onto the retina in such a way that the brain will translate that to vision you recognize as real world. It wouldn't look any different than the real world, in theory.

The math required to do that is probably a bit complex. You'd need, at bare minimum, an applied mathematician, a physicist (with specialization in optics), and a computer science guy (also with specialization in image processing and a heavy dose of theoretical computer science) to work out the algorithm.

You wouldn't get sick from that. It wouldn't be any different than looking around in the real world.
If it was that reproducible don't you think companies like Oculus would have solved it already?

I am sure they have some research division sort of working on it, but big corporations like Facebook don't really innovate that way. They just buy up the patents from people who do.

For instance, the turbocoding algorithms used on all the high speed wireless networks were developed by some French guys. They patented it and now it's licensed to all the major wireless network manufacturers.

Most of those deep theoretical innovations are worked out by grad students. If you are business savvy enough, you can do what the founders of Google did and build a startup around it. But for something like that, you'd need massive capital infusion to start building prototypes and eventually get manufacturing contracts in China to be able to bring the headsets to market. You'd probably be better off selling it to somebody like Google or just licensing it out.
True but I want to see what I can do with AR, I personally think AR is going to go further than VR right now. Especially with the motion sickness issue VR has yet to resolve. VR may become reality sooner than later, but for the starting point I say the money is going to be in AR.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:41 am

Augmented reality actually gets the big bucks, though. Auto manufacturers, for example, will be using that in windscreens on vehicles to show environmental, navigation, and sitrep/hazard information. It's not a difficult problem to solve either.

Not really any good opportunities to score big with a real innovation there. If you have a graduate degree in computer science, you could certainly get into that field in the corporate world.

But I don't think there is a whole lot of room to do something big and make a large sum of money. The math and physics behind making a legitimate VR headset is one of those things. AI has a lot of opportunities in that area. Anything that depends upon sophisticated algorithms is where you can potentially strike it rich. That's stuff you can do on your own without access to large capital investments.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:42 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Augmented reality actually gets the big bucks, though. Auto manufacturers, for example, will be using that in windscreens on vehicles to show environmental, navigation, and sitrep/hazard information. It's not a difficult problem to solve either.

Not really any good opportunities to score big with a real innovation there. If you have a graduate degree in computer science, you could certainly get into that field in the corporate world.

But I don't think there is a whole lot of room to do something big and make a large sum of money. The math and physics behind making a legitimate VR headset is one of those things. AI has a lot of opportunities in that area. Anything that depends upon sophisticated algorithms is where you can potentially strike it rich. That's stuff you can do on your own without access to large capital investments.

I think you are limiting yourself with AR in the way you see it... but meh... either way I still can't wait to see what happens.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:45 am

Another area for the kiddos to consider is biotech. Biotech research can get you some big bucks if you invent something useful. And there's a huge domain of problems to solve.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:48 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Another area for the kiddos to consider is biotech. Biotech research can get you some big bucks if you invent something useful. And there's a huge domain of problems to solve.
Yup, but again I think you are thinking too big...if you want this to go well, you need to work towards the people using it for home, and work to some extent... make it accessible and the rest follows.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:29 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Another area for the kiddos to consider is biotech. Biotech research can get you some big bucks if you invent something useful. And there's a huge domain of problems to solve.
Yup, but again I think you are thinking too big...if you want this to go well, you need to work towards the people using it for home, and work to some extent... make it accessible and the rest follows.

Actually, I am thinking much smaller and more refined. The potential for individuals is in something that does not require much capital to research, develop a prototype, and patent. You make your money by licensing or selling the patent. Pick a difficult problem that could be used to revolutionize some industry, and work away at solving the problem. Anything that is algorithmic in nature is fertile ground for such endeavors.

Trying to develop your own applications and devices requires capital. Trying to actually bring a product to market requires capital.

Think more like this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Berrou