Apple is finally getting into AR and VR...

The Conservative

Apple is finally getting into AR and VR...

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am

I saw the demos yesterday at WWDC and the most exciting thing to me was the AR and VR tech they introduced. I can't wait to see how this is going to interact with glasses if it does. Or if Apple is working on their own versions... because as much as I liked what I saw it's limited by using iPads etc...

It is cool though, and I have so many ideas now, I can't wait to see what happens next.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Re: Apple is finally getting into AR and VR...

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:45 am

Apple VR? Is it full of virtual penis?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:49 am

TheReal_ND wrote:Apple VR? Is it full of virtual penis?
Like everything good out there, it probably would be. But what I have in mind for it games, and things to make geeky things like D&D more geeky, this is a dream come true for me in the long run. I've been wanting to get int AR and VR for a long time, and this might just let me do it.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:55 am

Apple? Games? One of these things is not like the other.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 am

They gave me a free VR headset when I upgraded my phone to the S8. It's kind of nauseating, honestly. I can't wait to get something more effective, like low powered lasers just etching the scene into our eyes, but we are not there yet.

I watched a tv show last night in bed with the goggles. It was kind of interesting, but blah. I wish I had just gotten one of the speakers instead of the VR headset.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:04 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:They gave me a free VR headset when I upgraded my phone to the S8. It's kind of nauseating, honestly. I can't wait to get something more effective, like low powered lasers just etching the scene into our eyes, but we are not there yet.

I watched a tv show last night in bed with the goggles. It was kind of interesting, but blah. I wish I had just gotten one of the speakers instead of the VR headset.
VR has the issue with motion sickness, AR doesn't. That is what I'm truly interested in. Imagine something like a AR version of Cortana that only you could see sitting on a stack of real books next to you taking notes for you while you dictate to her to send in a message?

That is what I have in mind... except that would be the type of technology for games, and general geekery.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:They gave me a free VR headset when I upgraded my phone to the S8. It's kind of nauseating, honestly. I can't wait to get something more effective, like low powered lasers just etching the scene into our eyes, but we are not there yet.

VR has the issue with motion sickness, AR doesn't. That is what I'm truly interested in. Imagine something like a real version of Cortana that only you could see sitting on a stack of books taking notes for you while you dictate to her to send in a message?

That is what I have in mind... except that would be the type of technology for games, and general geekery.

VR only has that because you are looking at a flat screen. If a device just painted the light onto your retina with little lasers, I don't think you would have any issues at all. It would just simulate normal light.

Hint to applied mathematics and physics grads: work out the mathematics and algorithms to translate a scene directly to the retina with light. That algorithm will make you rich like Larry Page and Sergey Brin. It would probably take a few years and huge effort to work it out, but the reward would be massive.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:09 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

VR has the issue with motion sickness, AR doesn't. That is what I'm truly interested in. Imagine something like a real version of Cortana that only you could see sitting on a stack of books taking notes for you while you dictate to her to send in a message?

VR only has that because you are looking at a flat screen. If a device just painted the light onto your retina with little lasers, I don't think you would have any issues at all. It would just simulate normal light.
It's the fact that you are looking at the flat screen (which actually is pushing light into your eyes anyway), the problem with VR is your brain knows its not real and has a hard time figuring out how to resolve what it is seeing, compared to what it's not... its hard to explain, but basically VR will never get off the ground as long as they can't fool the human brain.

AR on the other hand uses real environments and works the fakery around it. So in this case imagine you are playing hide and go seek with a AR child, they would hide around things in the environment so you couldn't see them. That wouldn't cause you motion sickness the same way because the environment is real, and your eyes would have a better chance to cope with it.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:13 am

No, what I am saying is that you can simulate the real world by directly throwing light onto the retina in such a way that the brain will translate that to vision you recognize as real world. It wouldn't look any different than the real world, in theory.

The math required to do that is probably a bit complex. You'd need, at bare minimum, an applied mathematician, a physicist (with specialization in optics), and a computer science guy (also with specialization in image processing and a heavy dose of theoretical computer science) to work out the algorithm.

You wouldn't get sick from that. It wouldn't be any different than looking around in the real world.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:25 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:No, what I am saying is that you can simulate the real world by directly throwing light onto the retina in such a way that the brain will translate that to vision you recognize as real world. It wouldn't look any different than the real world, in theory.

The math required to do that is probably a bit complex. You'd need, at bare minimum, an applied mathematician, a physicist (with specialization in optics), and a computer science guy (also with specialization in image processing and a heavy dose of theoretical computer science) to work out the algorithm.

You wouldn't get sick from that. It wouldn't be any different than looking around in the real world.
If it was that reproducible don't you think companies like Oculus would have solved it already?
#NotOneRedCent