Isn't "what you said is bigoted but I didn't say you were" just weaseling?

C-Mag

Re: Isn't "what you said is bigoted but I didn't say you were" just weaseling?

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:11 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:And I don't mean to say that women can't learn spatial reasoning either. They are perfectly able to compete with us in those areas as a learned skill.

I work with female engineers, some are great some aren't. Most a good to very good with engineer estimates and CAD. However, typically, their biggest weakness is the field work. Being able to visual the design on the ground and see problems during construction.

My experience has been women are better in the office than in the field.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:19 pm

Ever wonder why there's a women's chess championship?
:o
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:22 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:And I don't mean to say that women can't learn spatial reasoning either. They are perfectly able to compete with us in those areas as a learned skill.

I work with female engineers, some are great some aren't. Most a good to very good with engineer estimates and CAD. However, typically, their biggest weakness is the field work. Being able to visual the design on the ground and see problems during construction.

I remember before college, when I was an avionics troop, the females often had trouble visualizing which way to turn the speed handle to loosen a screw or bolt. Often, the thing would be up in a bulkhead somewhere and you would have to attach a universal joint to the speed handle with an extension and have to kind of reach up in there at an odd angle to get to it. They would actually try to act it out beforehand to try to visualize the thing and mock out which way they had to turn the handle. They could still do it just fine, but it should have been clear to me even then that spatial reasoning is not as natural to them as it is to us. A male troop wouldn't even think about it. They would figure out how to get the driver in there and just turn the handle in the correct direction. After a few years, they would (should) be a pro. So it's not like a permanent disqualifier or anything. They are just different than us.

I suspect the ability to read body language and probably a whole host of other skills are the same way for us: a learned skill for us but more natural for most women.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:35 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

I remember before college, when I was an avionics troop, the females often had trouble visualizing which way to turn the speed handle to loosen a screw or bolt. Often, the thing would be up in a bulkhead somewhere and you would have to attach a universal joint to the speed handle with an extension and have to kind of reach up in there at an odd angle to get to it. They would actually try to act it out beforehand to try to visualize the thing and mock out which way they had to turn the handle. They could still do it just fine, but it should have been clear to me even then that spatial reasoning is not as natural to them as it is to us. A male troop wouldn't even think about it. They would figure out how to get the driver in there and just turn the handle in the correct direction. After a few years, they would (should) be a pro. So it's not like a permanent disqualifier or anything. They are just different than us.

I suspect the ability to read body language and probably a whole host of other skills are the same way for us: a learned skill for us but more natural for most women.
Yep, military ASVAB test proves that out too. I sucked in the Clerical section of the test, most women suck at the mechanical.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:36 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Ever wonder why there's a women's chess championship?
Same reason theres a special Olympics 100 meter dash winner that is not Usain Bolt.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:09 pm

brewster wrote:OK. Thanks, I guess. Honestly when you said "admitting how wrong we have been" I hoped you were talking about electing Trump. Oh well. Like I said, I'm a moderate Liberal, and not in that camp. I'm just not having it with the intolerant people far left of me. The moderates are left out of the national dialog at this point.

Please explain Brewster

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:52 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Ever wonder why there's a women's chess championship?
Board game privilege.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:54 pm

Y'all talk smack but the King only moves one damn square at a time, and he can't enter a threatened spot.
Queen rules chess.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:01 pm

Fife wrote:
Board game privilege.
Oh don't start with the privilege crap!! I understood "white privilege". Sure, you're more likely to get a loan or a job and less likely to get stopped by a cop. But then discussing it, my wife started in with "thin privilege" and "smart privilege" and I lost it. Privilege is way too loaded a word for that, not every advantage you inherit or work hard for is a privilege!
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Fife wrote:
Board game privilege.
White moves first, yo!
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "