Boycotting Dell!

Ex-California

Re: Boycotting Dell!

Post by Ex-California » Thu May 25, 2017 2:22 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
You're only thinking in the short term though. What's the cost of all those monthly charges over 10-20 years, over server upgrades? 30 years? 50?

Those paying customers would likely put up with a price increase, once they're locked into the system.

Hell of a lot more internet traffic needed, so factor in your ISP cost for a fiber line, when a small business might only require a regular connection otherwise.
But at this point everything under a fiber connection is unusable anyway. I mean, hell, I have fiber at my house for streaming Peppa Pig and shitposting on MHF
LOL damn dude... I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Fiber = dedicated FiberOptic cable. Those are used as the backbone of the Internet, and for large businesses. Typically 500Mbps to 1Gbps connections.

If you mean that your building has a fiber connection or something, I'd be interested to see a speedtest.net readout of what kind of speeds you get.
At work we have 10Gb fiber so i know what you're talking about.

I have FIOS, so its dedicated fiber line to the fiber demark in the street. All of our TVs and internet are on it. My buddy's building actually has the Google Fiber which is 1Gb to his house, it gets split up into two bonded WiFi connections though.

My FIOS is advertises at 150/150, here's the current Speedtest on the 2.4Ghz Wifi with two TVs running and an iPad streaming. I get 180/180 on a Cat5 to the router. These results aren't that impressive but I'm getting faster and more consistent speeds than the cable internet I had before that was advertised at 300Mb down

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 25, 2017 2:41 pm

Go home Mel, you're drunk.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 25, 2017 3:22 pm

You split fiber into two wireless routers?

. . . but why?

Why would you do that, man? :shock:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2017 3:54 pm

California wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote: But at this point everything under a fiber connection is unusable anyway. I mean, hell, I have fiber at my house for streaming Peppa Pig and shitposting on MHF
LOL damn dude... I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Fiber = dedicated FiberOptic cable. Those are used as the backbone of the Internet, and for large businesses. Typically 500Mbps to 1Gbps connections.

If you mean that your building has a fiber connection or something, I'd be interested to see a speedtest.net readout of what kind of speeds you get.
At work we have 10Gb fiber so i know what you're talking about.

I have FIOS, so its dedicated fiber line to the fiber demark in the street. All of our TVs and internet are on it. My buddy's building actually has the Google Fiber which is 1Gb to his house, it gets split up into two bonded WiFi connections though.

My FIOS is advertises at 150/150, here's the current Speedtest on the 2.4Ghz Wifi with two TVs running and an iPad streaming. I get 180/180 on a Cat5 to the router. These results aren't that impressive but I'm getting faster and more consistent speeds than the cable internet I had before that was advertised at 300Mb down

Wow, that is impressive. I only get around 50.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu May 25, 2017 4:19 pm

DBTrek wrote:You split fiber into two wireless routers?

. . . but why?

One router with a 2.4 and whatever the normal one is. It came like that stock. I put the kids and wife devices on the normal one and the streaming and my stuff on the 2.4
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 pm

California wrote:

. . . but why?

One router with a 2.4 and whatever the normal one is. It came like that stock. I put the kids and wife devices on the normal one and the streaming and my stuff on the 2.4
You're talking about a dual-band router - 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Those are just 2 different frequencies that it operates at. Same traffic, not split in half. All goes out to the same pipe.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri May 26, 2017 10:01 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
California wrote:

. . . but why?

You're talking about a dual-band router - 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz. Those are just 2 different frequencies that it operates at. Same traffic, not split in half. All goes out to the same pipe.
Yes