Boycotting Dell!

The Conservative

Re: Boycotting Dell!

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I'll pay $50 for any dell laptop you don't want. An extra $50 if it comes with sky rim and doesn't clip on high res
$7000 for both systems and you get one year worth of "support" already paid for.
#NotOneRedCent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu May 25, 2017 8:48 am

I live in a fucking van.

$50 for a dell laptop. Final offer

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 25, 2017 8:50 am

DBTrek wrote:AWS, guys.
AWS or Azure.

Watch at 1.25x, and accept that the era of the on-site server room is over.
;)
We are using AWS, but we are also using google, this company went in so many different directions its not funny, and the IT was given free reign to collect paychecks and do nothing. It's taken me almost a year to get everything working almost perfectly, even with all of the mess here.

I've fixed a lot of things, and done what I can with what we have, but I am not dealing with Dell any more.

MS has also come to our door asking for us to be part of the Azure system... I am looking into it, but if we do we need to negotiate a deal in where it will all work together, and right now Sophos by August will work with Google and MS 365 systems, so either way I am moving towards Sophos.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 25, 2017 8:51 am

TheReal_ND wrote:I live in a fucking van.

$50 for a dell laptop. Final offer
We paid $15K for the systems, I'm giving you more than 1/2 off for it, and the year support for free.
#NotOneRedCent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2017 8:53 am

The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'doing the job of the other'.... One is a VPN server, and the other is a firewall.
The Ruckus is doing the WiFi when the Firewall can do it as well. This entire situation is a clusterfuck.
Yeah, you might be able to do away with the Ruckus then. I'd double-check the capabilities on that firewall tho - it's a bit confusing on the specs. I don't think it's going to manage multiple WAPs for you.

It also has VPN capabilities, but not on the scale of the other one. 50 concurrent connections is pretty awesome.

This might not be a bad setup after all, actually..
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Dand

Post by Dand » Thu May 25, 2017 8:55 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Dand wrote:Snip
I got a pretty badass Asus last year on Amazon. It's got about as much power as a mid-range gaming desktop, runs quiet, stays pretty cool, even with some intense graphics running.

What exactly do you need it to do?
I never play games on my laptop anymore so I just want something portable and quiet. I don't use it for anything more intensive than streaming videos.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 25, 2017 8:57 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by 'doing the job of the other'.... One is a VPN server, and the other is a firewall.
The Ruckus is doing the WiFi when the Firewall can do it as well. This entire situation is a clusterfuck.
Yeah, you might be able to do away with the Ruckus then. I'd double-check the capabilities on that firewall tho - it's a bit confusing on the specs. I don't think it's going to manage multiple WAPs for you.

It also has VPN capabilities, but not on the scale of the other one. 50 concurrent connections is pretty awesome.

This might not be a bad setup after all, actually..
It wouldn't be, if it made any sense... that's the problem, the old techs left no notes, no documentation of what they did, etc... so I've had to start from scratch, figure out from the wall, to the end points where everything is connected, how it's connected, and if it working as it should, so far the answer to that is not in the least...
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu May 25, 2017 8:58 am

Dand wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I got a pretty badass Asus last year on Amazon. It's got about as much power as a mid-range gaming desktop, runs quiet, stays pretty cool, even with some intense graphics running.

I never play games on my laptop anymore so I just want something portable and quiet. I don't use it for anything more intensive than streaming videos.
Asus is a good company as long as you don't have to deal with tech support... then its as bad, if not worse than Dell.
#NotOneRedCent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Depends on whether you care about information security. Uploading your data to a remote server is not going to help with that.
Are you high? Data centers are regularly updated with the latest and greatest in security. Meanwhile, old school server farms are getting smacked by friggin' WannaCry because they're using 20-year-old SMBv1. When the largest hacks in the world are nailing businesses by exploiting two-decade-old protocols it's not Amazon or Microsoft data centers they're hitting.
It's an old-school mainframe model - charge per hour of processing time, charge for data storage, charge for this, for that... I'm not a fan.
100% scalable, only pay for what you use. Is it cheaper to pay for an extra few terabytes and clock cycles of computing when you need it, in real time . . . or is it easier to let your servers get overwhelmed, then drop $30k on more hardware, only to discover three months later that the spike in traffic was unsustainable?

The era of the homegrown server closet has passed. We're just waiting for the last mammoths to succumb to the permafrost at this point. ;)
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 25, 2017 9:00 am

Dand wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

In that case, you don't need more than a tablet, or netbook. $100 will do ya. Probably don't even need anything with a cooling fan.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss ... ds=netbook
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0