Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

GloryofGreece

Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri May 19, 2017 9:38 pm

Is Jordan Peterson the new Carl Jung or Mircea Eliade? Maybe, but I thought it would be cool to have a thread to talk about Mythology, Folklore, Alchemy, and other Archetypal stories and dare I say wisdom. Cheers!

Concepts that Jung identified.
* The Collective Unconscious: Jung's notion that we are being "carried along," sustained and directed by this deep, dark well of unconscious archetypal meaning and energy that seeks to make itself known and become integrated into our conscious life. Here's the alpha and omega.

* The Persona: The self we manifest publicly is not the whole story but a necessary "mask" that helps us get by in the world, the ideal image we have of ourselves. We latch onto these social identities to define us, but as a part of the "collective psyche" they do not distinguish us in any significant way. Jung's struggling awareness of the "split" between his two personalities, "No. 1" and "No. 2," led to this concept.

* The Shadow: There lives within us another side of our personality that is filled with all those aspects of ourselves we hide away, both from ourselves or others, as unacceptable. The shadow has a "dark side," which is the stuff we find morally reprehensible, but it also has a "bright side" containing our unembraced potentialities. Daryl Sharp describes the shadow as a "hodgepodge of repressed desires and uncivilized impulses." It serves our wholeness by nagging and ambushing the persona (ideal self) with a larger sense of our humanity.

* The Affirmation of Wholeness over Dualism: Given the primary role of the collective unconscious and how it seeks to integrate the persona and the shadow, we are to be wary of all one-sided emphases in terms of personal growth.

The idea of the archetype (a recurrent symbol or motif in literature, art, or mythology) , Oedipal complex, felicitous, first to work with psychotic patients, first to think of developmental psychology to cover the entire lifespan not just for children, also he hypothesized that children neurosis as being a product of the parent's unconscious projections "their vibes basically" and not mainly their internal conflict. Also Jung coined extroversion and introversion.

Carl Jung Red Book
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy-x7BLlBYg

Alchemy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ78XsvkYEI

JRR TOLKIEN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmNHP58OhU

Hero's Journey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUgZhLJCHk
The good, the true, & the beautiful

katarn

Re: Carl Jung, Joseph Campbell, JRR TOLKIEN, Myths and Stories

Post by katarn » Sat May 20, 2017 8:49 am

I'll sort of run with the myth side. Which punishment was worse- Sisyphus or Tantalus?
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat May 20, 2017 9:31 am

katarn wrote:I'll sort of run with the myth side. Which punishment was worse- Sisyphus or Tantalus?
Never being quite able to grasp the fruit and the water is worse than pushing up a boulder. But that's just me.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sun May 21, 2017 8:25 pm

Jordan Peterson " The Idea of God"....new series on the psychology of religion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-wWBGo6a2w
:angelic-blueglow:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 23, 2017 6:33 pm

I'm a fan of Jung.

I think archetypes are rooted in biological sub-algorithms which essentially respond to various primal tasks of the human (and animal) organism. Consciousness is not meant to contain all of these, but with reflection and guidance we can begin to see the various archetypes at play in our lives, and even recognize the shadow. Integration is the path to maturity and greater wholeness.

Let's riff on Jung.
As for Peterson... He's pretty average as far as I can tell.
Most of his celebrity seems to be in playing the bad boy to politically correct social justice warriors... Which I admit is good fun.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue May 23, 2017 7:04 pm

DrYouth wrote:I think archetypes are rooted in biological sub-algorithms which essentially respond to various primal tasks of the human (and animal) organism. Consciousness is not meant to contain all of these, but with reflection and guidance we can begin to see the various archetypes at play in our lives, and even recognize the shadow. Integration is the path to maturity and greater wholeness.
I got a serious contact high reading that. Thanks bro.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Tue May 23, 2017 7:07 pm

That's what this thread should be about.

Blowing that rational buzzkill of a left hemisphere wide open.

>beardy mcredeyes<
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue May 23, 2017 7:32 pm

Well I mean I defer to the resident Tolkienist but I heard an interesting take or two from Red Ice or something on the Hobbit movies.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed May 24, 2017 9:39 am

DrYouth wrote:I'm a fan of Jung.

I think archetypes are rooted in biological sub-algorithms which essentially respond to various primal tasks of the human (and animal) organism. Consciousness is not meant to contain all of these, but with reflection and guidance we can begin to see the various archetypes at play in our lives, and even recognize the shadow. Integration is the path to maturity and greater wholeness.

Let's riff on Jung.
As for Peterson... He's pretty average as far as I can tell.
Most of his celebrity seems to be in playing the bad boy to politically correct social justice warriors... Which I admit is good fun.
For Jung did he think basically every man should go on a hero's journey so to speak? Also, you can tell when one of the archetypes is more influential in your life at a particular time but did he think that your are primarily a king, magician, warrior, etc.

And, as far as I know his concept of the anima and animus were the feminine and masculine in the female and male personality. Can you elaborate some on those concepts please.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Wed May 24, 2017 4:41 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:For Jung did he think basically every man should go on a hero's journey so to speak? Also, you can tell when one of the archetypes is more influential in your life at a particular time but did he think that your are primarily a king, magician, warrior, etc.

And, as far as I know his concept of the anima and animus were the feminine and masculine in the female and male personality. Can you elaborate some on those concepts please.
The hero's journey is a western mythological narrative that is also seen cross culturally. Some argue that more communitarian and less individualistic cultures emphasize it less, but this may be debatable. It's essentially a symbolic representation of the path of individuation (I.e. becoming a healthy individual, differentiated from but connected to one's community of origin.)

The various archetypes represent orientations to the outer an inner world that unfold over human development to a greater of lesser extent. Each individual will go through this development differently and many will remain dominant in an archetype indefinitely. For example someone may stay in a nurturing/mother like archetype, or in a warrior/fighter archetype or alternatively in the eternal youth (peter pan) archetype, to the exclusion of most others. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it may mean they are not flexible when they need to be and it may lead to problems.

The anima and animus are ways of speaking about the feminine and masculine attributes of the self that Jung observed were present in both genders and would be encountered in the course of therapy. These would show up in dreamwork in the Jungian model of psychotherapy. They may present as helpful guides or as shadow sides of the opposite or same gender and may represent fears related to that gender type.

I often wonder what Jung would have to say about the current gender gong show we have going on.