Who's Up For Making Me (In)Famous?

Martin Hash

Re: Who's Up For Making Me (In)Famous?

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:06 pm

katarn wrote:I think Otern was right at least about voice delivery and such. I watch the Instagram videos when they pop up, and I know you're trying to be off-kilter in delivery, but it's not always pleasant to listen to.

Do I remember a thread a while back right where you said you intend for Pray Tell to be listened to at 2x speed or greater? If I do, it might be better (given that we are trying to get you famous and out into a broader range of people) to adapt that manner for videos and things that cannot be viewed at anything but real speed- like those Instagram intros.
I don't know what I'm doing with those Instagram intros. I thought I'd go to different places, and talk in a friendly manner. Doesn't sound like it's working, and they're hard to make. I think I'll do a few more to get 2 months worth then end that experiment unless you can think of something simple that would make it acceptable?
katarn wrote:The podcast has lots of good stuff though, this isn't meant as a mean-faced critique.
I don't take it as such. Thank you.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:37 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
katarn wrote:I think Otern was right at least about voice delivery and such. I watch the Instagram videos when they pop up, and I know you're trying to be off-kilter in delivery, but it's not always pleasant to listen to.

Do I remember a thread a while back right where you said you intend for Pray Tell to be listened to at 2x speed or greater? If I do, it might be better (given that we are trying to get you famous and out into a broader range of people) to adapt that manner for videos and things that cannot be viewed at anything but real speed- like those Instagram intros.
I don't know what I'm doing with those Instagram intros. I thought I'd go to different places, and talk in a friendly manner. Doesn't sound like it's working, and they're hard to make. I think I'll do a few more to get 2 months worth then end that experiment unless you can think of something simple that would make it acceptable?
katarn wrote:The podcast has lots of good stuff though, this isn't meant as a mean-faced critique.
I don't take it as such. Thank you.
I think it's a good idea, but probably best to kill soon. After all, those aren't even hyperlinks in your caption (Instagram only puts in URLs, if you want a link, you have to put it in your bio), so the can't open the podcast without copy/pasting in a browser. And since Instagram is the favorite permaposter of the youth, that might just be too much work for the audience.

The talking in a friendly manner comes through, and you pick some great spots (I was at Multnomah Falls a few years back), but I don't really have any suggestions for the medium of Instagram, unless you wanted to video the whole podcast and post it in two or three parts.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:40 pm

What about Facebook? Should I drop the Intros there too?

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 pm

Martin Hash wrote:What about Facebook? Should I drop the Intros there too?
I just got on Facebook a month or two ago, so I'm probably not the best to ask for experience, but I would venture yes. IIRC, Facebook does actually let you link to stuff in the post, but it also lets you post much larger videos- long enough for your whole episode, not just an intro.
And in my soul am free,

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:57 pm

Drop the "Travel Tidbits" too?

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:12 pm

Those work great on Instagram (but you might want a location marker or a caption for some), but you could probably do them on Facebook. If you're trying to keep Facebook about politics, maybe not, but the travel aspect of your life is an easy way to start building a persona if you do it right. Depends on your goals for the Facebook page specifically.
And in my soul am free,

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:16 pm

What about Twitter?

katarn

Post by katarn » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:33 pm

I know nothing about Twitter, except that everyone else is on it and that my marketing-minded friends worship it. Someone else entirely is needed for Twitter expertise.
And in my soul am free,

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 pm

The goal is to get famous enough for people to care what I have to say. You would think being the only person in the world simultaneously licensed as a doctor, lawyer, engineer, accountant, contractor & patent agent would generate its own fame? But our world only cares to be entertained, like this forum. You would think this forum would be entertainment enough, but people also want to be associated with success, which means fame.

p.s. This is only a hobby for me, of which I have 60+, but I'll improve it if I can, given attributes I already possess.

katarn

Post by katarn » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:09 am

Those simultaneous licenses are impressive, but I'm not really surprised they haven't generated fame on their own. Doctors and engineers don't get famous almost as a rule, and Americans aren't as riveted to the courtroom as Romans; you need to work some high profile cases to get known outside of that community.

To my judgement, however naive, what you are doing now is a good way to go about it, but it limits growth here really to those who heard and cared pretty quickly. I don't know how long it would take for that sort of growth to lead to greater fame in the general population.
And in my soul am free,