One of the many reasons I like the A-10.

The Conservative

One of the many reasons I like the A-10.

Post by The Conservative » Sat May 06, 2017 12:29 pm

When an airplane can this much damage and the pilot can still land it, now that's a hell of an airplane.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Re: One of the many reasons I like the A-10.

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Can your A-10 do this?

There's no comparison. A-10 has great armor. Which is cool. But in terms of battle damage survival.. F-15 wins the day.

Smitty-48

Re: One of the many reasons I like the A-10.

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat May 06, 2017 12:53 pm

He rolled in low n' slow to deliver two unguided Mk.82's on a radar site, that profile is obsolete, got hit by a Russian Buk; radius is 26 miles, Strike Eagle could do it without ever entering the threat envelope, drop JDAM-ER's supersonic release from 40,000 ft at 45 miles, and just let the bombs do all the work.

At this point, with the accuracy, reliability, and economies of scale, PGM's have rendered any low n' slow profile obsolete, just aint worth the risk anymore, even for CAS. If you put the A-10 into a real shooting war with a near peer IADS, they would get slaughtered, the Air Force wouldn't even risk it, A-10 would be sidelined, even in the Gulf War, more A-10's were shot down than any other aircraft type, low n' slow, is bad ju-ju, no matter how much armour you load on it.

In the 1970's, there was a requirement to get down in the weeds in order to find, fix and destroy Russian tanks, but with the spectrum of PGM's in play now, that's no longer a requirement, you can kill a Russian tank division now, from a hundred miles away and ten miles up, using B-52's. You drop the bombs in the slipstream, and they go off and find, fix and destroy the tanks, all by themselves.

Nec Aspera Terrent