Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am

C-Mag wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 1:08 pm

Force = Mass X Acceleration

weapon....mass....acc.....force
Brown Bess: 545 X 1000 = 545,000
45-70: 375 X 1400 = 525,000
7.62 Nato: 164 X 2600 = 426,000
You’re also counting only the acceleration at firing - essentially the ‘recoil’ from firing the round. The force at the other end depends on how fast it decelerates, transferring that energy into the target.

I’d imagine this is dependent on of course what it hits,and air resistance, but that could also be influenced by the bullets shape at impact, and deformation.

For THAT reason, I’m willing to believe that lead has more ‘stopping power ’, but not based on your equations.

Also, I don’t need a bullet to physically knock someone back, in order to be effective do I? I need it to damage them. In which case, I’d expect that anything that fragments/ricochets more will do a superior job.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Re: California Hate Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 am

Kinetic energy:

KE = 0.5 × m × v^2

You need to know the velocity the round is traveling at impact and it's mass. Acceleration is only useful in calculating the force at detonation of the round. You can use that force vector to calculate the initial velocity. Then you need calculate the friction of air on the round, distance, air pressure, etc., to figure out how fast it is traveling when it hits the target.

I suspect the shape of the round plays as much of a role as the mass of the round, since friction is what will slow the round as it travels along its trajectory towards the target. This is why there has been some research into designing completely different shaped rounds that could potentially even fire deep into water with minimal friction.

edit:

This article shows a handy estimation for dealing with the friction issue..

https://sciencing.com/calculate-bullet- ... 51380.html

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 23, 2019 10:22 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 9:54 am

For THAT reason, I’m willing to believe that lead has more ‘stopping power ’, but not based on your equations.

Also, I don’t need a bullet to physically knock someone back, in order to be effective do I? I need it to damage them. In which case, I’d expect that anything that fragments/ricochets more will do a superior job.
Dude, don't ask why something is and then come up with your own reasons. I was giving you the most basic reason why lead delivers more damage than steel. :roll:

Do you need to physically knock someone down? I guess not, the guy could be laying in bed, get shot, not move and be dead. There are lots of ways to do damage with ballistic weapons. Smaller calibers at high velocity utilize bullet yaw and cavitation to create greater wounds. The 5.56 mm and 30 cal Remington are two examples of bullets who do this very effectively. Cavitation causing big wound channels and yaw makes the bullet take on new vectors once it strikes a body. You literally can shoot a target in the upper torso and have the bullet end up in the lower leg. Fragmentation of a projectile can deliver massive wounds as well. Technology has created more lethal rounds in the last 10-15 years. So much so, that a lot of shooters and police forces that went to the 40 cal for more stopping power, are now going back to the 9mm because they can get more rounds and the same result with superior ammo.

All this stuff just sets you up for success, the bottom line is still putting rounds on target.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 am
Kinetic energy:

KE = 0.5 × m × v^2

You need to know the velocity the round is traveling at impact and it's mass. Acceleration is only useful in calculating the force at detonation of the round. You can use that force vector to calculate the initial velocity. Then you need calculate the friction of air on the round, distance, air pressure, etc., to figure out how fast it is traveling when it hits the target.

I suspect the shape of the round plays as much of a role as the mass of the round, since friction is what will slow the round as it travels along its trajectory towards the target. This is why there has been some research into designing completely different shaped rounds that could potentially even fire deep into water with minimal friction.

edit:

Yes, all are factors. But the basic answer is Mass X Velocity(acceleration). There are people that dedicate their lifes work to figure this stuff out. The shape is a huge factor, the minie ball in the ACW is a great example. One of the best ways early to deliver all the bullet energy to the target was the flat nosed round

It's like hitting the target with a sledge hammer.

The goal is to get all the energy of the bullet to be delivered to the target in a vital area.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 10:34 am
Thu May 23, 2019 10:00 am
Kinetic energy:

KE = 0.5 × m × v^2

edit:

Yes, all are factors. But the basic answer is Mass X Velocity(acceleration). There are people that dedicate their lifes work to figure this stuff out. The shape is a huge factor, the minie ball in the ACW is a great example. One of the best ways early to deliver all the bullet energy to the target was the flat nosed round

It's like hitting the target with a sledge hammer.

The goal is to get all the energy of the bullet to be delivered to the target in a vital area.
Velocity and acceleration are two different things.

The round accelerates only in one instance when the charge is detonated.

F=ma is what tells you the initial force of the round right after detonation.

To calculate the kinetic energy, you need to know the velocity at impact and the mass of the round.

To figure out the kinetic energy of a round, you probably need a table of all the velocities measured from the same gun and barrel length at each range. Or use that estimation in the link I posted above..

This shit would be super easy to calculate in space, though.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 pm

Thu May 23, 2019 10:38 am
Velocity and acceleration are two different things.

The round accelerates only in one instance when the charge is detonated.

F=ma is what tells you the initial force of the round right after detonation.

To calculate the kinetic energy, you need to know the velocity at impact and the mass of the round.

To figure out the kinetic energy of a round, you probably need a table of all the velocities measured from the same gun and barrel length at each range. Or use that estimation in the link I posted above..

This shit would be super easy to calculate in space, though.
Yeah, shouldn't have jambed those together. My whole fucking point is simplistic explanation of, 'why lead over steel'. Because if you want to dig into this, it's an entire scientific discipline that people specialize in and have been trying to master for over 200 years. Read Elmer Keith, he invented the .357, the 41 Mag and the 44 Mag, amongst others, also mastered long range pistol shooting, including ranges up to 800 yards.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon May 27, 2019 9:36 am

CA Governor, Looking To Shift Blame, Reportedly Calls State's Homeless Problem A National Disgrace

Yes, it is a national discgrace, but it you're own fucking fault.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/47612/ca ... nk-berrien
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon May 27, 2019 12:34 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 pm
Read Elmer Keith
I guaranfuckintee you sad-sack motherfuckers that is the best piece of advice you got today.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 am

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session