Tuman Library's Fun Program

katarn

Tuman Library's Fun Program

Post by katarn » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:44 pm

The Truman Presidential Library in Independence, apart from storing many his hundreds of thousands of documents and being his resting place, also houses a simulation center targeted towards teens.

https://www.trumanlibrary.org/whdc/

A group comes to their recreated West Wing and spends a day presuming the roles of Truman and some cabinet members as they devise/advise a solution to the day's problem. The Center does a good job of not pulling facts, and the facilitators only lead the kids along enough to a) help them get where their strain of thought is slowly going, b) dissuade them from a terrible idea like nuking Berlin, or c) being slower than the students themselves on some points. They split the day into meetings to resemble a presidential schedule, and have mock press conferences where Truman defends his decisions. For all but probably two of the meetings, the facilitators aren't involved at all, but their involvement can prove detrimental to the most active students.

Examples of scenarios for those who won't click the link:
The End of the British Mandate in Palestine
The Soviet Blockade of Berlin
Addressing Postwar Civil Rights in the Armed Forces
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

Ex-California

Re: Tuman Library's Fun Program

Post by Ex-California » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:34 am

The first thing I would do is use the existing nuclear arsenal to put the Soviets to bed before they could develop their own.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:50 am

California wrote:The first thing I would do is use the existing nuclear arsenal to put the Soviets to bed before they could develop their own.
This is the only correct answer

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:40 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
California wrote:The first thing I would do is use the existing nuclear arsenal to put the Soviets to bed before they could develop their own.
This is the only correct answer
How would you hit the place where they developed the nukes?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:46 am

They hadn't developed them. Iirc they didn't figure it out until they imported former German scientists after the war, who were indeed, very close to figuring it out.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:They hadn't developed them. Iirc they didn't figure it out until they imported former German scientists after the war, who were indeed, very close to figuring it out.
Okay how would you prevent it by nuking?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:50 pm

I mean first of all I wouldn't have helped the commies like FDR was so fond of doing along with """Great Man of History""" Churchill.

From there the timeline just kind of goes off on its own.

But in a serious response, I suppose as Truman, I would have been much more tough on Russia when I realized they weren't honoring their agreement to not annex Poland. I would have gone right down to risking full war again while we had the advantage. But hindsight is 20/20 and they may have got the bomb anyway.

Look up the Yalta agreement. I think FDR cucked on that and that's when things got out of hand.

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:53 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I mean first of all I wouldn't have helped the commies like FDR was so fond of doing along with """Great Man of History""" Churchill.

From there the timeline just kind of goes off on its own.

But in a serious response, I suppose as Truman, I would have been much more tough on Russia when I realized they weren't honoring their agreement to not annex Poland. I would have gone right down to risking full war again while we had the advantage. But hindsight is 20/20 and they may have got the bomb anyway.

Look up the Yalta agreement. I think FDR cucked on that and that's when things got out of hand.
I doubt you could have had the manpower for your war.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Ok

katarn

Post by katarn » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:36 pm

Faced with Britain's withdrawal from Palestine on 15 May, what do you do as Truman? (At the Library the scenario is set as 12 May)
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace