What show are you watching right now?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Hastur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm
brewster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Was riffing with some other Patrick Obrian fans lamenting that there will likely never be a movie sequel or series of Master & Commander, when I had an epiphany: they should make an animated series of the amazing 21 book work of literature. It would so much cheaper than a FX & costume heavy period drama, and the visuals of the battles and the high seas could be incredible. It would be so much better than all the poorly written SF and superhero crap all over TV.
The problem with all historical fiction like Aubrey Maturin and the others set in war is the lack of female characters. No gays or transgendered either. Most non whites are villains.
To fix the representation you get Game of Thrones instead.
Not seeing the problem here.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:16 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:23 pm
Hastur wrote:
brewster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Was riffing with some other Patrick Obrian fans lamenting that there will likely never be a movie sequel or series of Master & Commander, when I had an epiphany: they should make an animated series of the amazing 21 book work of literature. It would so much cheaper than a FX & costume heavy period drama, and the visuals of the battles and the high seas could be incredible. It would be so much better than all the poorly written SF and superhero crap all over TV.
The problem with all historical fiction like Aubrey Maturin and the others set in war is the lack of female characters. No gays or transgendered either. Most non whites are villains.
I think he's saying the Leftists in Hollywood wouldn't make a show that didn't cater to ALL the identity warriors. Though in POB, most of the nonwhites are just crewmembers. Great scene was the largely Malay crew of a ship he was put in command of: they dove out of the boats and under the ship they were cutting out, climbed up the opposite side, and cut everyone's throats. Ex pirates.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:16 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Hastur wrote:

I think he's saying the Leftists in Hollywood wouldn't make a show that didn't cater to ALL the identity warriors. Though in POB, most of the nonwhites are just crewmembers. Great scene was the largely Malay crew of a ship he was put in command of: they dove out of the boats and under the ship they were cutting out, climbed up the opposite side, and cut everyone's throats. Ex pirates.
It's not just Hollywood. The head of entertainment at BBC said that Monty Python wouldn't be possible or welcome today. For historical drama we will have to settle with stuff like Poldark and Outlander.
Not all bad but you have to accept cuckolding, buggery and time traveling feminists.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 pm
brewster wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

It's not just Hollywood. The head of entertainment at BBC said that Monty Python wouldn't be possible or welcome today. For historical drama we will have to settle with stuff like Poldark and Outlander.
Not all bad but you have to accept cuckolding, buggery and time traveling feminists.
Is that the reson we have to wait on Netflix for new episodes of the last kingdom?

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 am

clubgop wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am
Hastur wrote:
brewster wrote:

Is that the reson we have to wait on Netflix for new episodes of the last kingdom?
The first season was produced by BBC America and BBC Two.
The second was produced by BBC Two and co-produced by Netflix.
Third was only Netflix. Fourth will be as well.

I only watched three episodes. Does it get better?

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am

Can you see this?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:14 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:05 am
Can you see this?
Yeah, I can see it. I'm not Swedish tho. I'm Scots-Irish and North German.

I'm actually a double Smith. Walker-Smith and Ralston-Smith. Scots-German and Irish-German.

And I'm married to a Scots-Irish German too.

British North American since 1757, more British than the British themselves.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:47 am

Ancestry.com keeps changing their results. Now I’m German-English with a bit of Viking.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am

I can trace back about 300 years, there's actually a book about my family in the Nova Scotia historical archives.
Nec Aspera Terrent

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:34 pm

Hastur wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:29 am
clubgop wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:21 am
Hastur wrote:

The first season was produced by BBC America and BBC Two.
The second was produced by BBC Two and co-produced by Netflix.
Third was only Netflix. Fourth will be as well.

I only watched three episodes. Does it get better?
Oh, yeah. But I was hooked early. Rutger Hauer drew me in. What don't you like?