What show are you watching right now?

brewster

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by brewster » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm

Was riffing with some other Patrick Obrian fans lamenting that there will likely never be a movie sequel or series of Master & Commander, when I had an epiphany: they should make an animated series of the amazing 21 book work of literature. It would so much cheaper than a FX & costume heavy period drama, and the visuals of the battles and the high seas could be incredible. It would be so much better than all the poorly written SF and superhero crap all over TV.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:20 pm

brewster wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:10 pm
Was riffing with some other Patrick Obrian fans lamenting that there will likely never be a movie sequel or series of Master & Commander, when I had an epiphany: they should make an animated series of the amazing 21 book work of literature. It would so much cheaper than a FX & costume heavy period drama, and the visuals of the battles and the high seas could be incredible. It would be so much better than all the poorly written SF and superhero crap all over TV.
You get one Russell Crowe epic and you will be appreciative.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm

brewster wrote:
The problem with all historical fiction like Aubrey Maturin and the others set in war is the lack of female characters. No gays or transgendered either. Most non whites are villains.
To fix the representation you get Game of Thrones instead.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 pm

clubgop wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:02 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm
clubgop wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:17 pm

You got Disney+ like a bitch? After you said you wouldn't. LOL.
There’s no resisting that unholy power with kids in the house.
Netflix has some stuff. You tube does too, regular ass disney channel would suffice.
Not with a female attached to the kids, no. There’s a reason they hit 10m subscribers in 2 days.

I prefer Netflix, when I actually watch tv, and regular Disney channel is complete garbage. I recently dumped all the ‘tv channels’ anyway, as we never watch them.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:20 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:41 pm
clubgop wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:02 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:42 pm

There’s no resisting that unholy power with kids in the house.
Netflix has some stuff. You tube does too, regular ass disney channel would suffice.
Not with a female attached to the kids, no. There’s a reason they hit 10m subscribers in 2 days.

I prefer Netflix, when I actually watch tv, and regular Disney channel is complete garbage. I recently dumped all the ‘tv channels’ anyway, as we never watch them.
10m for Disney + is nothing, I thought it would be more. They are still using the vault system where they still lock away their best assets.

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am

Hastur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm
brewster wrote:
The problem with all historical fiction like Aubrey Maturin and the others set in war is the lack of female characters. No gays or transgendered either. Most non whites are villains.
Aside from the fact that the book series has a large female readership and the successful movie had not a single female character, have you Watched The Last Kingdom? A few females but they're not center stage. Mainly manly men doing manly things. Same with what I saw of Vikings.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:46 am

brewster wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:55 am
Hastur wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:07 pm
brewster wrote:
Aside from the fact that the book series has a large female readership and the successful movie had not a single female character, have you Watched The Last Kingdom? A few females but they're not center stage. Mainly manly men doing manly things. Same with what I saw of Vikings.
I tried to watch The Last Kingdom. I've read the first four books. I couldn't stand it. Low budget melodrama.
A lot more females in that book series than in O'Brien's by the way.
Vikings was utter tosh. Aubrey Maturin a deserves better fate.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

brewster

Post by brewster » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:32 am

Hastur wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:46 am
I tried to watch The Last Kingdom. I've read the first four books. I couldn't stand it. Low budget melodrama.
Eh, it's not amazing, but watchable, certainly at least as good as the rest of the trash on TV. Re females, depends on the POB book. The earlier ones had more, but by the time they head to the East Indies and Pacific there's not much, till the lame Clarissa Oakes thread. Generally considered the worst books of the series.
I couldn't finish season 1.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:38 pm

brewster wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:32 am
Hastur wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:46 am
Eh, it's not amazing, but watchable, certainly at least as good as the rest of the trash on TV. Re females, depends on the POB book. The earlier ones had more, but by the time they head to the East Indies and Pacific there's not much, till the lame Clarissa Oakes thread. Generally considered the worst books of the series.
I couldn't finish season 1.
O'Brien's women's portraits aren't that impressive. Simpering weaklings or ideal superhumans. He had a couple of noble savage children weaved in there as well. I enjoyed the spy vs spy plotlines the most. And all the times Aubrey had to handle milieus he was unfamiliar with.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:09 pm

The final series of Man in the High Castle is out now.
I just don't know if I can be bothered though...

Might just wait for the new series of The Marvellous Mrs Maisel on Dec 6th.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.