What show are you watching right now?

Smitty-48

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:38 pm

New SEAL Team on tonight.

I just PVR then fast forward through the ads.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:17 pm
Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I haven't watched or listened to a commercial that wasn't embedded into the actual program in almost a decade. The whole thing seems no worse for the wear. That's some brainwashing thinking going on right there. "If I don't watch their bullshit then there will be no bullshit to watch." Sucks to be you I guess.
Your grasp of economics seems tenuous. What you do is one thing, what do you think would happen if everyone did? Much as I despise the cable industry and cut the cord long ago, cable subscriptions alone would not fund the TV industry. They're not doing it to be charitable. And back to the news point, when they lost eyeballs to the internet, the industry was devastated. It wasn't a charity either. Just Craigslist was a deathblow to many local papers.

And no, I do not watch cable or broadcast TV, I have Amazon & Netflix. I wouldn't mind commercials so much if they didn't play the exact same one like 12x an hr, like I missed it the 1st 11 times. That's the advertiser getting scammed, "but we played it 12x, isn't that what you paid for?" But the majority of the legacy content on those platforms was originally paid for with advertising and eyeballs.
:lol: Naaa, my grasp is fine. I wouldn't give two shits if there was nothing on TV. In the meantime, I take what is there minus the advertisements. Keep doing you and "hate" watching those advertisements. Me, I'll keep skipping over them and blocking them every chance I get. If it all goes away, so be it. Won't be no hitch in my giddyup. Something else will fill the void left behind and it will probably be an improvement.

On the MSM vs internet angle, is it any small wonder why there are attempts to maintain gatekeeper status through some cock and bull vetting process or the need to include disclaimers on youtube? For a money guy, you sure do seem to only follow it selectively.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:38 pm

You are supposed to be hate watching them or else there will be no new SEAL Team next week.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:48 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

You are supposed to be hate watching them or else there will be no new SEAL Team next week.
Smitty Magnum Higgins can't hate watch Bravo Team.

Nec Aspera Terrent

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:52 pm
Haumana wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Smitty Magnum Higgins can't hate watch Bravo Team.

I downloaded the first two seasons (No commercials). I am going on a trip to mainland tomorrow so I will be all up in the Seal Team series soon enough. Thanks for the tip.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:33 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Thanks for the tip.
‘A’ ole palikir, brah. <hangs ten>

Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:52 pm

Haumana wrote:
:lol: Naaa, my grasp is fine. I wouldn't give two shits if there was nothing on TV. In the meantime, I take what is there minus the advertisements. Keep doing you and "hate" watching those advertisements. Me, I'll keep skipping over them and blocking them every chance I get. If it all goes away, so be it. Won't be no hitch in my giddyup. Something else will fill the void left behind and it will probably be an improvement.
You sound like a buffalo hunter who first says there's so many you can never kill them all, and then says that he doesn't give a shit if they do kill them all, he'll find something else to kill. I don't watch the ads either, I don't have cable and the only time the antenna gets used is for the superbowl, but I'm not in denial about how the system gets paid. I don't mind the ads on Youtube too much, at least they're short or can be skipped after a few moments, and they're not repetitive.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:52 pm
Haumana wrote:
You sound like a buffalo hunter who first says there's so many you can never kill them all, and then says that he doesn't give a shit if they do kill them all, he'll find something else to kill. I don't watch the ads either, I don't have cable and the only time the antenna gets used is for the superbowl, but I'm not in denial about how the system gets paid. I don't mind the ads on Youtube too much, at least they're short or can be skipped after a few moments, and they're not repetitive.
So now you are constructing some weird strawman about me and also saying that you don't "hate" watch the ads? What happened to the "what do you think would happen if everyone did?" argument you were foisting earlier? Dafuq? Goof.

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm

Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 pm
So now you are constructing some weird strawman about me and also saying that you don't "hate" watch the ads? What happened to the "what do you think would happen if everyone did?" argument you were foisting earlier? Dafuq? Goof.
I'm not the one making the argument it would all still work just fine if no one watched the ads, and then saying "I wouldn't give two shits if there was nothing on TV". I never said I watched commercials, but neither did I get on a high horse and say burn it all down. Besides which, the whole thing started with you saying essentially that readership or ratings of reviewers didn't matter.

I'm sure it will give you endless satisfaction to know that I support the old media, the ancient media, by paying dearly for a print NYTimes subscription. Yes, the failing NYTimes. I should write it off as a charitable deduction! I do write it off as a business expense, same as my broadband bill.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:40 pm

brewster wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:12 pm
Haumana wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:16 pm
I'm not the one making the argument it would all still work just fine if no one watched the ads, and then saying "I wouldn't give two shits if there was nothing on TV". I never said I watched commercials, but neither did I get on a high horse and say burn it all down. Besides which, the whole thing started with you saying essentially that readership or ratings of reviewers didn't matter.

I'm sure it will give you endless satisfaction to know that I support the old media, the ancient media, by paying dearly for a print NYTimes subscription. Yes, the failing NYTimes. I should write it off as a charitable deduction! I do write it off as a business expense, same as my broadband bill.
HAHA! High horse. I said I don't care if it fails. Something else will crop up in its place. You are the kook who equated it to a finite resource (buffalo). The entertainment and journalism fields are limited only by one's imagination. YouTube and podcasts are killing the gatekeepers and they aren't going to go down without a large public protest.

I stated that the reviewers don't make their bread and butter from John Q public. They make their money through advertisers. That they can create a spectacle and get more eyes on their product means that they can parlay that into more advertising dollars. I thought this was all 101 1st year type stuff.

See, even in your support there is an angle that benefits you. Would you still subscribe if you couldn't write it off? Why are they failing?

So you don't watch commercials or support anything that isn't going to give back to you in terms of monetary benefit. WTF were you going on about again?