What show are you watching right now?

Smitty-48

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:07 pm

Apache Warrior is on Netflix.

11th Combat Aviation Brigade.

Raid on the Karbala Gap.

24 March 2003.

Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:52 am

About to start the final season of The Deuce, hopefully they stuck the landing. It's David Simon, so they probably did, but fingers crossed anyway because endings are hard to nail.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:59 am

I just watched Apache Warrior for the second time, it's riveting

They've got the cockpit recording and gun camera from the Karbala raid

When they flew into the anti helicopter ambush

Lights go out, lights come on, then the whole city starts shooting into the air

I've read about it, but the real deal is chilling
Nec Aspera Terrent

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am

I still can't figure out WTF Watchmen is about. At 96/42 It has the widest gap on Rotten Tomatoes between critics and audience I've ever seen for a scripted show. The AOC movie Knock Down the House is 100/17. I assume the latter got trashed for political rather than entertainment reasons, has the same happened to Watchmen?
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:59 am

brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am
I still can't figure out WTF Watchmen is about. At 96/42 It has the widest gap on Rotten Tomatoes between critics and audience I've ever seen for a scripted show. The AOC movie Knock Down the House is 100/17. I assume the latter got trashed for political rather than entertainment reasons, has the same happened to Watchmen?
Rather telling that "you assume it got trashed for political rather than entertainment reasons" rather than assuming it got 100% from professional critics "for political rather than entertainment reasons." Did you watch the movie?

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am

Haumana wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:59 am
brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:49 am
Rather telling that "you assume it got trashed for political rather than entertainment reasons" rather than assuming it got 100% from professional critics "for political rather than entertainment reasons." Did you watch the movie?
No, I don't have the stomach for that, can't stand her. But while you make a good point, "real" critics have skin in the game, if readers find their reviews are not credible, they'll stop reading.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:09 pm

brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am
But while you make a good point, "real" critics have skin in the game, if readers find their reviews are not credible, they'll stop reading.
That's cute.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:20 pm

Finally got around to watching The Pacific.
3 episodes left. It's a bit of a grind in places, not as watchable as Band of Brothers.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:30 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Finally got around to watching The Pacific.
3 episodes left. It's a bit of a grind in places, not as watchable as Band of Brothers.
Yeah, I found the Leckie thread more enjoyable than the others. Probably because he was the real writer, though his prose is pretty overwrought by modern standards. That and Dale is a pretty good actor, was great in the short lived spook series Rubicon. The script was cobbled together from his and Sledge's memoirs plus the story of Basilone. That said, the Iwo Jima & Okinawa sequences were harrowing. I was rewatching it earlier this year, and stopped before that.

brewster

Post by brewster » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:38 pm

Haumana wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:09 pm
brewster wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:06 am
But while you make a good point, "real" critics have skin in the game, if readers find their reviews are not credible, they'll stop reading.
That's cute.
What, you think a pro reviewer will keep his job if no one thinks he's right? The Times had an advice columnist in the Sunday business section that we thought was particularly awful, and lo and behold, they did not last long. There's plenty of reviewers and columnists I either don't read or take with a grain of salt. Particularly theater. Apparently the wife and I have lowbrow taste and have liked several shows reviewers panned and hated some well reviewed ones.