What show are you watching right now?

StCapps

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:08 pm
Star Trek nerds - need some help with the Babelfish device.

How is it that it can translate so many foreign languages, easy-peasy, but once in a while, it just screws up, bigly.

Watching Voyager: Nemesis

The words are:

footfalls, glimpse, nullified, fathom, tells, new light, tend me, trunks ..... see, kill/dead, understand, says, morning, take care of me, trees.. there's more.

What's up with that? Why use the same words for hundreds of languages, but change it up once in a while? Is there a point or message in there?
In Voyager, I think it was a way to help brainwash Chakotay, by making him more invested in their culture by seeing the parallels with his own expressed in a slightly foreign way so he would sympathize with them seeing they weren't that different from them. Basically they were triggering his inner SJW to turn him into another soldier to fight the evil looking "bad guys".
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm

In Voyager, I think it was a way to help brainwash Chakotay, by making him more invested in their culture by seeing the parallels with his own expressed in a slightly foreign way so he would sympathize with them seeing they weren't that different from them. Basically they were triggering his inner SJW to turn him into another soldier to fight the evil looking "bad guys".
That seems like it's trying to make sense, but if I'm trying to talk to someone in a language I've never even heard before, I have no idea how to tailor my language so that the universal translation sends out a similar, but not popular, way to phrase something. How would they know that instead of speaking the common English word for tree, they should modify it a bit to make it seems like tree? Make sense? What if our common word was trunk?
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:36 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:28 pm

That seems like it's trying to make sense, but if I'm trying to talk to someone in a language I've never even heard before, I have no idea how to tailor my language so that the universal translation sends out a similar, but not popular, way to phrase something. How would they know that instead of speaking the common English word for tree, they should modify it a bit to make it seems like tree? Make sense? What if our common word was trunk?
I don't think they were considering the science behind the translator when they made the call, they just wanted a better episode and cut that corner.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm
don't think they were considering the science behind the translator when they made the call, they just wanted a better episode and cut that corner.
:lol: That makes more sense than anything else. They commit some serious offenses against their own canon, in every series.

Voyager does have a high percentage of pretty bad episodes, thus far. It should get better, now that Seven is on the ship. There have been some real snoozers. Not the body-snatching, time travelling, alt-verse that is DS9, though.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm
don't think they were considering the science behind the translator when they made the call, they just wanted a better episode and cut that corner.
:lol: That makes more sense than anything else. They commit some serious offenses against their own canon, in every series.

Voyager does have a high percentage of pretty bad episodes, thus far. It should get better, now that Seven is on the ship. There have been some real snoozers. Not the body-snatching, time travelling, alt-verse that is DS9, though.
Star Trek really doesn't really care about canon that much, they fuck with it when they think it will make for a better episode, sometimes they are right to do it, other times the episode still sucks and it undermines the rest of the series.

DS9 has some really bad episodes, including the worst episode in the entire franchise, Move Along Home, but it also has a lot of the best episodes in the entire franchise, including the best episode in the entire franchise, In The Pale Moonlight. I find the great outweighs the shit by several orders of magnitude.

They had one decent mirror universe episode, and the rest were trash, though I did like Mirror Kira, even though they gave her too much screen time.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 5:08 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm

DS9 has some really bad episodes, including the worst episode in the entire franchise, but it also has a lot of the best episodes in the entire franchise, including the best episode in the entire franchise.

They had one decent mirror universe episode, and the rest were trash, though I did like Mirror Kira, even though they gave her too much screen time.
Now you gotta tell me what they are. I love fav/least fav lists. I'd have to think on that. The entirety last six episodes of DS9 was an incredible story arc. I love how that war played out.

I'd have to think hard on least favorite, though. They are so forgettable. I barely remember any of these bad Voyager episodes. The last time I watched it at all was during the great DC break of 20... 10?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:08 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:03 pm

DS9 has some really bad episodes, including the worst episode in the entire franchise, but it also has a lot of the best episodes in the entire franchise, including the best episode in the entire franchise.

Now you gotta tell me what they are. I love fav/least fav lists. I'd have to think on that. The entirety last six episodes of DS9 was an incredible story arc. I love how that war played out.

I'd have to think hard on least favorite, though. They are so forgettable. I barely remember any of these bad Voyager episodes. The last time I watched it at all was during the great DC break of 20... 10?
Least favorite is easy, Move Along Home blows everything out of the water, Allamaraine! Avery Brooks knows.
*yip*

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm

StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 pm

]Least favorite is easy, Move Along Home blows everything out of the water, Allamaraine! Avery Brooks knows.
Ah, yes. Truly terrible. No clue what they were thinking.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu May 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm
StCapps wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 5:15 pm

]Least favorite is easy, Move Along Home blows everything out of the water, Allamaraine! Avery Brooks knows.
Ah, yes. Truly terrible. No clue what they were thinking.
The only thing about that episode that is any good is Quark gets some okay material, otherwise a complete miss whenever he isn't on the screen, and even good ol' Quark can't save that episode.

Second least favorite episode, Spock's Brain from the third season of TOS, least timeless episode of the entire series, trapped in the 60's forever, and the includes the episode with the space hippies going to "Eden", so that is saying something, speaking of bad episodes of Star Trek. Though those hippies do get their comeuppance, so that part wasn't so bad, but everything before the ending of that episode fucking sucked balls.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 15, 2019 10:49 pm

Gonna repeat myself here. The right side of the bell curve is watching Billions. This is the best damn show on television.

It’s inspiring me to get myself promoted.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0