What show are you watching right now?

TheReal_ND

Re: What show are you watching right now?

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:06 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm
C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:56 pm

- Chief O'Brien was awesome, his wife and kids were dead weight. They knew it and handled it poorly. Should have had the wife get caught with alien dick and had a divorce.
Between the two series, Keiko and O'Brien had maybe seconds of "getting along," versus the outright hatred they showed each other most of the time. She was a total waste of a character. They should have ended their relationship when Keiko told Data she didn't want to get married. I don't know why they felt the need to put O'Brien in such a hateful, stressful marriage.
brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm
Kath, you have warmed my heart with your rant about "about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration", I go off on this stuff every chance I get, but you left off amnesia, multiple personalities, and evil twins from the list of lazy writing tropes. I can't believe how many of these Discovery has managed in just a season and a half. It's like it was mandated!
I actually like the Thomas character acted by Frakes. I like the whole "how he came to be," story line. I didn't mind that one.
Post 1000

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 pm

C-Mag wrote:
- the wyrmhole aliens, the orbs and Bajorian religion were just clunky. I think it could have worked, but they didn't handle it well
Yeah, coulda been done better, but props to them for taking on the intersection of politics and religion. Who else has even since? Gotta love Louise Fletchers Kai Winn for pure creeps.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:14 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:05 pm
C-Mag wrote:

- Chief O'Brien was awesome, his wife and kids were dead weight. They knew it and handled it poorly. Should have had the wife get caught with alien dick and had a divorce.
Between the two series, Keiko and O'Brien had maybe seconds of "getting along," versus the outright hatred they showed each other most of the time. She was a total waste of a character. They should have ended their relationship when Keiko told Data she didn't want to get married. I don't know why they felt the need to put O'Brien in such a hateful, stressful marriage.
brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:33 pm
Kath, you have warmed my heart with your rant about "about body snatching, time-travelling, alternate realities & body alteration", I go off on this stuff every chance I get, but you left off amnesia, multiple personalities, and evil twins from the list of lazy writing tropes. I can't believe how many of these Discovery has managed in just a season and a half. It's like it was mandated!
I actually like the Thomas character acted by Frakes. I like the whole "how he came to be," story line. I didn't mind that one.
Agreed.
Thomas Riker was far more interesting than William Riker. I'd like to seen a little more with Thomas Riker as a Maquis. It was very believable that Thomas would go Maquis.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

brewster

Post by brewster » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm

I didn't remember the whole "Thomas" thing. Ugh, another 'transporter malf'. By the time they were done there was nothing a transporter couldn't do from making Earl Grey to the Holodeck actually being real. This is the same kind of plot crashing "tech" as Time Turners and Polyjuice Potion in the Potterverse. They render any plot stupid.

What I loved about Dollhouse was that for once they followed the implications of the central tech all the way down the rabbit hole to the destruction of civilization.
Last edited by brewster on Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:25 pm
I didn't remember the whole "Thomas" thing. Ugh, another 'transporter malf'. By the time they were done there was nothing a transporter couldn't do from making Earl Grey to the Holodeck actually being real. This is the same kind of plot crashing "tech" as Time Turners and Polyjuice Potion in the Potterverse. They render any plot stupid.

What I loved about Dollhouse was that for once they followed the implications of the central tech all the way down the rabbit hole to the destruction of civilization.
It's not the existence of these plots that annoy me. It's the frequency that is troublesome. On DS9, you couldn't go 2 or 3 episodes without getting into one of these types of plots. These types of plots are likely very interesting for the actors, though, because they get to break from their normal routine and try on new shoes, so to speak.

The Riker thing was an interesting thought experiment, that showed Riker was far more than the one-dimensional character that Frakes got stuck portraying. I thought Riker was a terrible character - weak and lazy, for the most part. The further away I get from TNG, the more I feel that show had a plethora of one-dimensional characters. Marina Sirtis, for example - nothing against her, personally, but her character's primary past time was chocolate. She'd get nice long monologues about how to spoon chocolate sauce until you reach orgasm. In hindsight, rather lame.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:59 pm

brewster wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 pm
C-Mag wrote:
- the wyrmhole aliens, the orbs and Bajorian religion were just clunky. I think it could have worked, but they didn't handle it well
Yeah, coulda been done better, but props to them for taking on the intersection of politics and religion. Who else has even since? Gotta love Louise Fletchers Kai Winn for pure creeps.
YES, she was creepy AF. She was the biggest villain of a dark series full of villains.
BTW................ I remember seeing this pic a while back...………...Lulz

PLATA O PLOMO

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm

brewster wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Being as cryptic as possible, because I'm trying not to spoil for SF .....

I don't like the way it was all pure speculation until the final episode, where they just put a bow on it and said, "yup." I was disappointed they wrapped it up in 5 minutes like that. Lazy.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:58 pm

The Riker thing was an interesting thought experiment, that showed Riker was far more than the one-dimensional character that Frakes got stuck portraying. I thought Riker was a terrible character - weak and lazy, for the most part. The further away I get from TNG, the more I feel that show had a plethora of one-dimensional characters. Marina Sirtis, for example - nothing against her, personally, but her character's primary past time was chocolate. She'd get nice long monologues about how to spoon chocolate sauce until you reach orgasm. In hindsight, rather lame.
+1
The writers of TNG just bent Frakes over the bridge of the Enterprise and treated him like an Orion slave girl.

There were so damn many stories that would have been perfect for Riker, but Noooooooooooooooo, they had to give them to Picard. The episode where Picard is stuck on the Enterprise during the sweep of the slow moving death ray. As an example that would have been a better episode with Riker in it.

Don't get me started with Counselor Troi. I can respect no military organization where a social worker is part of the senior command.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:07 pm

Kath wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:04 pm
brewster wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Being as cryptic as possible, because I'm trying not to spoil for SF .....

I don't like the way it was all pure speculation until the final episode, where they just put a bow on it and said, "yup." I was disappointed they wrapped it up in 5 minutes like that. Lazy.
Yeah, I think they got themselves into the Dominion War, and didn't know how to get out of it, it was a great story line, but then the other big story lines the series started with suffered along the way.

Oh, and Dax version 2.0 sucked, but Dax version 1.0 :clap:
PLATA O PLOMO

Kath

Post by Kath » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:37 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:05 pm

The writers of TNG just bent Frakes over the bridge of the Enterprise and treated him like an Orion slave girl.
Nobody turns down being in charge of their own ship, just to stay in second place on the best ship. Nobody. That's the problem with these types of shows - nobody ever changes jobs, because you need the core cast to stick around.

Shows like ER worked, specifically because they didn't let a 3rd year medical student stay a 3rd year medical student in the next season. People switch jobs. Star Trek TNG never accounted for this.

As to Troi, yeah, in Disaster, she should have never been in command on the bridge, over O'Brien & Roe.