Post by Fife » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:41 pm

Speaker to Animals

Re: White to move

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Draw.

Penner

Post by Penner » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:43 pm

Are you trying to start a MHF chess club?

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:31 am

King to C-3

Unless black's last move was the b-7 pawn, in which case en passant capture.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:54 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:King to C-3

Unless black's last move was the g6 pawn, in which case en passant capture.
FIFY.
No, PxP (hxg) is a loss for white, as is the far more obvious PxR (bxa); black cannot win unless white should fall for some bait. Black can try to set traps involving a sacrifice or several, but white cannot win against a competent player--however, as long as its pawns don't move, white's pawn wall is impenetrable.
White's move doesn't matter as long as white moves the king fifty times--between Washington and Florida, let's say--achieving a draw.
:snooty:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:

FIFY.
No, PxP (hxg) is a loss for white, as is the far more obvious PxR (bxa); black cannot win unless white should fall for some bait. Black can try to set traps involving a sacrifice or several, but white cannot win against a competent player--however, as long as its pawns don't move, the wall is impenetrable.
White's move doesn't matter as long as white moves the king fifty times--between Washington and Florida, let's say--achieving a draw.
I thought you could only en passant off a two space move?

Either way, it is a draw or a loss for white if black doesn't screw up, moving the king is just to give black a chance to blow it, or to force the draw.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:23 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:

FIFY.
No, PxP (hxg) is a loss for white, as is the far more obvious PxR (bxa); black cannot win unless white should fall for some bait. Black can try to set traps involving a sacrifice or several, but white cannot win against a competent player--however, as long as its pawns don't move, the wall is impenetrable.

Either way, it is a draw or a loss for white if black doesn't screw up, moving the king is just to give black a chance to blow it, or to force the draw.
That's right--I meant f5; (gxf, PxP)--it would still be a losing move. The only move for white is to move the king--it doesn't matter where.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:44 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Alexander PhiAlipson wrote: FIFY.

That's right--I meant f5; (gxf, PxP)--it would still be a losing move. The only move for white is to move the king--it doesn't matter where.
Except F-5 couldn't possibly be black's last move since the bishop is behind the pawn.

On reflection, the only real hope is probably to capture D-5, then sacrifice D-4 (assuming black pulls back the rook to block) to make space for the white king to get behind the line... still a long shot.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:32 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Except F-5 couldn't possibly be black's last move since the bishop is behind the pawn.

On reflection, the only real hope is probably to capture D-5, then sacrifice D-4 (assuming black pulls back the rook to block) to make space for the white king to get behind the line... still a long shot.
Right again, but still no joy.
We have to make some well-founded assumptions:
1) If there were an en passant opportunity for white, it would have been announced along with "White to Move;"
2) Black couldn't possibly be up by 13 points (two rooks and a bishop) and yet be an utter fool;
3) Black's last move must've been a5, trying to entice the capture to bring down White's pawn structure.
Black's only hope of winning is to get White to move something other than its king. There's no long shot for white.
If cxd (en passant); a7.
White's king cannot help and now Black has an open file.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:38 am

Did someone say "pawn takes rook" and I missed it?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change