Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

C-Mag

Re: Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:03 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:This is what I have used for about five years now:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg

You can see from the picture that the scales are kind of squared. I am not certain about professional kitchenwork, but it seems like that could hurt after a while.

Other than that, it works well for me. Easily sharpened. Toss it in the dishwasher. Still looks and functions like new.
Nice !
What a surprise, made in Solingen Germany, knife center of the world.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Red pill me on Husqvarna chain saws...

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:07 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

Victorinox makes really affordable knives. I see them a lot in local restaurants where the kitchen is open to the customers. They seem fairly popular.
Swiss made, adequate steel great handles. For a hobby chef or even a professional they are plenty good enough. As I've said before a decent sharpener and the ability to use it is far more important than an expensive knife.
You guys will probably be all :o ................... :snooty:
When I tell you the bulk of my kitchen knives are Chicago Cutlery and I sharpen them with a Chefs choice electric sharpener.

Now I have other knives I sharpen with a nice big 3 stone set, even put them on the leather strop. But my wife and others use the knives too, and people that aren't used to razor sharp knives it's just dangerous. The Chefs Choice makes them just nicely sharp with their 20 degree angle, and it works out well.

Also, I've started using cleavers for certain jobs and I love it.
CC are decent, just do yourself a favor, don't use the electric sharpener, they are worse than drawers.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:09 pm

I bought Mum a nice Sabbatier and sharpen it most times I go around. In many ways a sharp knife is less dangerous than a blunt one. You should have more faith.......
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:10 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:This is what I have used for about five years now:

You can see from the picture that the scales are kind of squared. I am not certain about professional kitchenwork, but it seems like that could hurt after a while.

Other than that, it works well for me. Easily sharpened. Toss it in the dishwasher. Still looks and functions like new.
You want to talk about overpriced?!

I wouldn't touch those with a 10ft pole, and then some.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:12 pm

Montegriffo wrote:I bought Mum a nice Sabbatier and sharpen it most times I go around. In many ways a sharp knife is less dangerous than a blunt one. You should have more faith.......
I have knives that are decades old, they were given to me by my family who abused them to hell and back.

I can cut bone with these knives now with little to no issue, I just want something of a better quality than what I got.
#NotOneRedCent

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:14 pm

Hastur wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Here's some great deals on Fällkniven's kitchen knives. Laminated VG10, broad tang, convex edge. You can't get a better blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... a=kitchen&
That 7" chefs knife with the curly birch handle is awesome looking.
It sure is. I think the other two are better knives though. But looks go a long way. I have only used Fällknivens ordinary knives and folders but I hear the chefs knives are awesome as well.

That price there is truly great. look at what we have to pay for them here back home in Sweden straight from the manfacturer.
https://www.fallkniven.com/en/kniv-kate ... fs-knives/
K1 - 2.031 Swedish kronor = $ 226
K2 - 1.934 Swedish kronor = $ 215

Standby while I see how many I have

:angelic-blueglow:
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:16 pm

The Conservative wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Swiss made, adequate steel great handles. For a hobby chef or even a professional they are plenty good enough. As I've said before a decent sharpener and the ability to use it is far more important than an expensive knife.
You guys will probably be all :o ................... :snooty:
When I tell you the bulk of my kitchen knives are Chicago Cutlery and I sharpen them with a Chefs choice electric sharpener.

Now I have other knives I sharpen with a nice big 3 stone set, even put them on the leather strop. But my wife and others use the knives too, and people that aren't used to razor sharp knives it's just dangerous. The Chefs Choice makes them just nicely sharp with their 20 degree angle, and it works out well.

Also, I've started using cleavers for certain jobs and I love it.
CC are decent, just do yourself a favor, don't use the electric sharpener, they are worse than drawers.
It works for me, and I don't spend a lot of time sharpening those knives. Now my carving tools, and plane blades, I spend time on those. I have up to a 4000 grit water stones for those.
PLATA O PLOMO

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:19 pm

I use a wetstone on my cheap folder just because I wanted to learn how. I can get it sharp but I haven't figured out how to do multi angle grinds.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:20 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:I bought Mum a nice Sabbatier and sharpen it most times I go around. In many ways a sharp knife is less dangerous than a blunt one. You should have more faith.......
I have knives that are decades old, they were given to me by my family who abused them to hell and back.

I can cut bone with these knives now with little to no issue, I just want something of a better quality than what I got.
Sorry TC, my comment was aimed at CM with his electric sharpener and lack of faith in his missus.
My main advice to you is don't buy something you've never even held in your hand. Take a handful of carrots around some good shops and try some knives out.
Never be fooled by imaginary bargains based on what they tell you something ''should'' cost.....
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.