Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

Hastur

Re: Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:43 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Here's some great deals on Fällkniven's kitchen knives. Laminated VG10, broad tang, convex edge. You can't get a better blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... a=kitchen&
That 7" chefs knife with the curly birch handle is awesome looking.
It sure is. I think the other two are better knives though. But looks go a long way. I have only used Fällknivens ordinary knives and folders but I hear the chefs knives are awesome as well.

That price there is truly great. look at what we have to pay for them here back home in Sweden straight from the manfacturer.
https://www.fallkniven.com/en/kniv-kate ... fs-knives/
K1 - 2.031 Swedish kronor = $ 226
K2 - 1.934 Swedish kronor = $ 215

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Fällkniven is great.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Take it from a chef.....never buy a knife without trying it first. The most money I ever spent on a knife was for a Japanese Global. I had to stop using it eventually as it was so uncomfortable and gave me a painful callous.
Great steel - crap knife.
I've used some crappy hilted knives in the past myself, I know what you mean. These don't look so bad though, they actually look like they would function well in a person't hand.
TBH those handles look a little small which is true of Globals as well. Also $220 is not cheap for 3 knives if they turn out to be crap, Just make sure you can send them back if you don't like them.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with Victorinox for a fraction of the price.
https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Produc ... chenKnives

Victorinox makes really affordable knives. I see them a lot in local restaurants where the kitchen is open to the customers. They seem fairly popular.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:50 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Hastur wrote:
Here's some great deals on Fällkniven's kitchen knives. Laminated VG10, broad tang, convex edge. You can't get a better blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... a=kitchen&
That 7" chefs knife with the curly birch handle is awesome looking.

I'd go with G10 or Micarta scales for a kitchen knife.

It might seem silly, but the ability to just throw it in the dishwasher is kind of nice over the long haul.

Go with full tang.

VG10 would be nice since it's easier to sharpen.

Having a really nice knife with high quality carbon steel sounds nice until you consider the details of maintaining something you are using for work. I use an eighty dollar Wusthof knife for most of my cooking. I wouldn't want to use it for a real job because, like Monty mentioned, that one has some abrupt edges on the scales that could hurt after a while. But it does the job well. Easily sharpened. I throw it in the dishwasher when I am done.

I would have to have to deal with constantly drying my knife and worrying about the wooden scales or whatever.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:53 pm

The best thing I've done to extend the time between sharpening is to put my knives on a magnetic strip and get them out of the drawer.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I've used some crappy hilted knives in the past myself, I know what you mean. These don't look so bad though, they actually look like they would function well in a person't hand.
TBH those handles look a little small which is true of Globals as well. Also $220 is not cheap for 3 knives if they turn out to be crap, Just make sure you can send them back if you don't like them.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with Victorinox for a fraction of the price.

Victorinox makes really affordable knives. I see them a lot in local restaurants where the kitchen is open to the customers. They seem fairly popular.
Swiss made, adequate steel great handles. For a hobby chef or even a professional they are plenty good enough. As I've said before a decent sharpener and the ability to use it is far more important than an expensive knife.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:56 pm

C-Mag wrote:The best thing I've done to extend the time between sharpening is to put my knives on a magnetic strip and get them out of the drawer.
Absolutely, drawers are death to sharp knives and dangerous to fingers too.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:58 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:00 pm

This is what I have used for about five years now:

You can see from the picture that the scales are kind of squared. I am not certain about professional kitchenwork, but it seems like that could hurt after a while.

Other than that, it works well for me. Easily sharpened. Toss it in the dishwasher. Still looks and functions like new.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

Swiss made, adequate steel great handles. For a hobby chef or even a professional they are plenty good enough. As I've said before a decent sharpener and the ability to use it is far more important than an expensive knife.
You guys will probably be all :o ................... :snooty:
When I tell you the bulk of my kitchen knives are Chicago Cutlery and I sharpen them with a Chefs choice electric sharpener.

Now I have other knives I sharpen with a nice big 3 stone set, even put them on the leather strop. But my wife and others use the knives too, and people that aren't used to razor sharp knives it's just dangerous. The Chefs Choice makes them just nicely sharp with their 20 degree angle, and it works out well.

Also, I've started using cleavers for certain jobs and I love it.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience