Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

Speaker to Animals

Re: Kanpeki Knife Set ($1,300 for under $230)

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:43 am

Fife wrote:Iunno.... 50 year guarantee. Seems legit.

Do you see any thirty year old Ginsu knives being sold on Ebay that still hold an edge?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:49 am

folded steel one thousand times like samurai sword

But how does this help me get laid?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:04 am

Take it from a chef.....never buy a knife without trying it first. The most money I ever spent on a knife was for a Japanese Global. I had to stop using it eventually as it was so uncomfortable and gave me a painful callous.
Great steel - crap knife.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Niigata is a place, man. I am sure shitty steel is being made in Niigata. Japanese steel ain't all that great, son.

If it were good steel, they'd tell you what it is.
Congratulations, you figured out a knife kind was named after a place. Oy...

So I guess the Bowie Knife is shit because it's named after a person? Seriously, I could eat alphabet soup and shit out a better response than you come up with at times.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Take it from a chef.....never buy a knife without trying it first. The most money I ever spent on a knife was for a Japanese Global. I had to stop using it eventually as it was so uncomfortable and gave me a painful callous.
I've used some crappy hilted knives in the past myself, I know what you mean. These don't look so bad though, they actually look like they would function well in a person't hand.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:22 pm

My God you are such a rube.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:My God you are such a rube.
I'll take that as a compliment since my grandfather was a Mountaineer.
#NotOneRedCent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:Take it from a chef.....never buy a knife without trying it first. The most money I ever spent on a knife was for a Japanese Global. I had to stop using it eventually as it was so uncomfortable and gave me a painful callous.
I've used some crappy hilted knives in the past myself, I know what you mean. These don't look so bad though, they actually look like they would function well in a person't hand.
TBH those handles look a little small which is true of Globals as well. Also $220 is not cheap for 3 knives if they turn out to be crap, Just make sure you can send them back if you don't like them.
I don't think you can go too far wrong with Victorinox for a fraction of the price.
https://www.victorinox.com/uk/en/Produc ... chenKnives
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm

I have to side with StA on this one. I looked at that site and nowhere do they say what kind of steel they use. When it comes to steel there is no old traditional technique that produces steel of the same quality as modern industrial methods do. You can fold it a bazillion times and it makes no difference.
It's a scam or perhaps just marketing that aims to make ignorant people feel good about the product.
Looks good though.

Here's some great deals on Fällkniven's kitchen knives. Laminated VG10, broad tang, convex edge. You can't get a better blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... a=kitchen&

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:29 pm

Hastur wrote:
Here's some great deals on Fällkniven's kitchen knives. Laminated VG10, broad tang, convex edge. You can't get a better blade.

https://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/stor ... a=kitchen&
That 7" chefs knife with the curly birch handle is awesome looking.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience