I'm a homeowner now

SuburbanFarmer

Re: I'm a homeowner now

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:49 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
It's surrounding by other farms and woods. Plus I would build food plots for the deer. Clover fields mainly. We have land we hunt on, with permission, and built some nice food plots. We starting to get big bucks in our area due to that but along with that came assholes hunting across the creek from us. The reason they are assholes is because they starting sneaking on our food plots stealing trail cameras and stealing ladder stands. Even with hidden cameras it was pointless because they kept their faces covered. The last straw was on opening day of gun season in 2015. They bent up my best ladder stand so right before the evening hunt my buddy and I parked right at the end of our food plot, 100 yrds from were those assholes were hunting and fired off about 300+ rounds of 5.56 from my AR-15. Blowing up cans and shit. Redneck justice!
LOL nice. How did you achieve an 'evening hunt' though, after scaring all the wildlife off?
Lol that was the point. We scared any bucks away from that area for gun season. We hunting on my buddies uncle farm the rest of that week. He got a nice 8 point buck. I took a second doe at the end of gun season, I bagged a doe before that in early bow season.
I'd be interested in learning to bow hunt, but Joe Rogan kinda made it clear that I would probably just fuck up and wound something, making it much worse than needed. I might take up some target practice soon though.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:55 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote: I'd be interested in learning to bow hunt, but Joe Rogan kinda made it clear that I would probably just fuck up and wound something, making it much worse than needed. I might take up some target practice soon though.

To hell with Joe Rogan. Do it, if you want to. The great thing about archery is you really don't need very much space to do it. Most people with a back yard can set up a safe range and shoot all they want. With modern compound bows and a little training and help at a professional range to tune your bow it's pretty easy to get good. I mean really good, shooting a 3 inch group at 30 yards.

Ease into hunting. Hunt small game first, rabbits, grouse. The good thing about small game is you either miss, or you kill them. Then when your practiced and proficient at that. Decide on whether you want to move to big game. This is the way every rural kid starts to learn to hunt. You just down give them a weapon and throw them on an Elk.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
LOL nice. How did you achieve an 'evening hunt' though, after scaring all the wildlife off?
Lol that was the point. We scared any bucks away from that area for gun season. We hunting on my buddies uncle farm the rest of that week. He got a nice 8 point buck. I took a second doe at the end of gun season, I bagged a doe before that in early bow season.
I'd be interested in learning to bow hunt, but Joe Rogan kinda made it clear that I would probably just fuck up and wound something, making it much worse than needed. I might take up some target practice soon though.
Don't listen to Joe Rogan on that issue. Just by a bow and practice. With only a months worth of practice you'll be grouping your arrows nicely. The real trick is to keep your heart from beating out of your chest when a big buck walks into your kill zone. Whitetails are not terribly hard to put down. Don't over think it and just do it. Hunting is really good for you because even on the days that you don't see one, you're still outside in the wild and not to sound like a hippy (because I'm not) but you will start to feel a connection with the earth. It will give you an inter-peace. That's what I love the most about it. I skipped out on hunting in 2016 for various reasons and I'm wishing that I would've found the time. I will be hunting this year for sure, even if its only small game.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:55 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
Don't listen to Joe Rogan on that issue. Just by a bow and practice. With only a months worth of practice you'll be grouping your arrows nicely. The real trick is to keep your heart from beating out of your chest when a big buck walks into your kill zone. Whitetails are not terribly hard to put down. Don't over think it and just do it. Hunting is really good for you because even on the days that you don't see one, you're still outside in the wild and not to sound like a hippy (because I'm not) but you will start to feel a connection with the earth. It will give you an inter-peace. That's what I love the most about it. I skipped out on hunting in 2016 for various reasons and I'm wishing that I would've found the time. I will be hunting this year for sure, even if its only small game.
I get that feeling from fly fishing and golf, actually.. on the rare occasions that I can go.

My only interest in hunting would be to prep to get meat, after the Collapse, tbh. Yes, I know that's weird.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:03 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I get that feeling from fly fishing and golf, actually.. on the rare occasions that I can go.

My only interest in hunting would be to prep to get meat, after the Collapse, tbh. Yes, I know that's weird.

The first weapon my daughter bought herself was one of these Diamond Bows by Bowtech.

I was highly impressed with it. They are very fast, very accurate, easy to shoot and affordable. Total investment with a couple dozen good arrow and a target is around $500. You can cut that down if you want.

One of the greatest things about this is it's versatility. You can adjust weight from about 30# to 75# and draw length for any shooter from about 4' 6 to 6'6.

I highly recommend you get into a shop and check them out. You will love it.
PLATA O PLOMO

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Well.....in a collapse I'm not sure this is even a good short term solution because every hillbilly will be out in the woods thinking the very same thing. Hell some of them might be in it for profit. Now if you're saying to stock up before TSHTF, then that would work. Hell I still have some meet in my deep freeze from one of my deer from 2015.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:

Well.....in a collapse I'm not sure this is even a good short term solution because every hillbilly will be out in the woods thinking the very same thing. Hell some of them might be in it for profit. Now if you're saying to stock up before TSHTF, then that would work. Hell I still have some meet in my deep freeze from one of my deer from 2015.
Nah, just to supplement my rather large stockpile of preserved fruits/veggies. We've gotten pretty damned good at that, and bread-making. It's a process.

Realistically, I'd probably be bartering some of our stuff for meat from those rednecks. :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:36 pm

You'd want the ability to hunker down, out of the way, for about a year or so without needing to forage or hunt.

The only downside is that what communities do form or survive won't accept you, and if you join a community early on, it likely means losing your food supplies.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:You'd want the ability to hunker down, out of the way, for about a year or so without needing to forage or hunt.

The only downside is that what communities do form or survive won't accept you, and if you join a community early on, it likely means losing your food supplies.
Given the option, my next home will be pretty far out in the sticks, with some very well-known neighbors. Failing that, I don't see any reason that I couldn't trade with the new communities that eventually form up.

I'm not picturing any Mad Max scenarios, actually. Just massive economic disruption - probably resulting in martial law in the cities. I don't think we'll go full Stone-Age without a nuclear annihilation.... in which case, it really doesn't matter what I prep.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:39 pm

double post
Last edited by C-Mag on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLATA O PLOMO