I'm a homeowner now

SilverEagle

Re: I'm a homeowner now

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:21 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Sweet, nice work. So far, we've (I've) built a shed, a pergola, a sweet firepit, re-insulated and renovated 2 rooms, painted the entire interior, and - you'll love this - when we moved in, the house had this ugly pink carpet all through the bottom floor. I pulled it up and found a hardwood floor, all ready to go. :)
Nice find! So do you think you'll flip your house? We plan on staying in ours. I mean we could easily buy a bigger house but I'm not really into it and neither is my wife. We want to put in a nice fire pit outside and I would like to build a big shed for storing the lawn mower and the golf cart. Getting tired of having my side of the garage used up. :D
Well, I wouldn't call 6 years a 'flip', but I'm definitely interested in moving on. ;) I want more land, and something closer to work. Unfortunately, those two goals are in direct conflict, but hopefully I can grab something nice when the market turns. I'd really like to have some animals (chickens/goats), and possibly some kind of storefront to sell homemade goodies from.

Meantime, I need to figure out how to get the house re-sided on the cheap. We currently have wood siding, and the paint is all falling off it. I could just repaint, obviously, but I think that would actually be a lot more work than installing vinyl. Then there's the upstairs bathroom, that I'm planning to rip apart, and I have to finish mudding/sanding/painting/carpeting an upstairs bedroom...

Yeah, I'll probably be here a while. But when I finish, I expect to sell this place for more than double. 8-)
Good work! And yes repainting the siding would mean stripping the old paint off first which is a ton of work. My brother in law just painted over theirs which like yours had the paint chipping off and it looks like shit. So yeah siding would be the way to go IMO. I too would like more land. There is an old farm a couple of miles away from where I live that is for sale and I would love to buy. It has a newer house and is on 115 acres but I'm not willing to spend $650k with a loan of $500k. We couldn't afford a $3,300 monthly payment.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:32 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
Nice find! So do you think you'll flip your house? We plan on staying in ours. I mean we could easily buy a bigger house but I'm not really into it and neither is my wife. We want to put in a nice fire pit outside and I would like to build a big shed for storing the lawn mower and the golf cart. Getting tired of having my side of the garage used up. :D
Well, I wouldn't call 6 years a 'flip', but I'm definitely interested in moving on. ;) I want more land, and something closer to work. Unfortunately, those two goals are in direct conflict, but hopefully I can grab something nice when the market turns. I'd really like to have some animals (chickens/goats), and possibly some kind of storefront to sell homemade goodies from.

Meantime, I need to figure out how to get the house re-sided on the cheap. We currently have wood siding, and the paint is all falling off it. I could just repaint, obviously, but I think that would actually be a lot more work than installing vinyl. Then there's the upstairs bathroom, that I'm planning to rip apart, and I have to finish mudding/sanding/painting/carpeting an upstairs bedroom...

Yeah, I'll probably be here a while. But when I finish, I expect to sell this place for more than double. 8-)
Good work! And yes repainting the siding would mean stripping the old paint off first which is a ton of work. My brother in law just painted over theirs which like yours had the paint chipping off and it looks like shit. So yeah siding would be the way to go IMO. I too would like more land. There is an old farm a couple of miles away from where I live that is for sale and I would love to buy. It has a newer house and is on 115 acres but I'm not willing to spend $650k with a loan of $500k. We couldn't afford a $3,300 monthly payment.
115 acres?? :shock: You could rent that extra land out to a local farmer though, and probably cover the mortgage payment... That is a hell of a leap to make, though. Basically, you'd be launching a 'real estate venture'. I know people that have done this though, and don't pay a penny for their house.

There's plenty of stuff like that for sale around here, but a lot of it is rundown, and you're basically buying the land itself, with a house that you have to rebuild. I don't want to go quite that big, just 2-3 acres with some trees will do fine. A barn would be nice, and a well or water supply ideal.

One of the gf's relatives just bought 18 acres with a big house on it. He has no idea what to do with the land, but it's pretty damned awesome. I think I'd sell off pieces to the family, and have a sort of 'compound' with everyone living within a mile or two. I think it would be amazing to have your family living close together, without being crammed into the same house...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

115 acres?? :shock: You could rent that extra land out to a local farmer though, and probably cover the mortgage payment... That is a hell of a leap to make, though. Basically, you'd be launching a 'real estate venture'. I know people that have done this though, and don't pay a penny for their house.

There's plenty of stuff like that for sale around here, but a lot of it is rundown, and you're basically buying the land itself, with a house that you have to rebuild. I don't want to go quite that big, just 2-3 acres with some trees will do fine. A barn would be nice, and a well or water supply ideal.

One of the gf's relatives just bought 18 acres with a big house on it. He has no idea what to do with the land, but it's pretty damned awesome. I think I'd sell off pieces to the family, and have a sort of 'compound' with everyone living within a mile or two. I think it would be amazing to have your family living close together, without being crammed into the same house...
Big reason for me to want that land is for my sons and I to hunt. Also for a personal mirco farm for the family. So unless I fall into an extra couple hundred in cash this will not happen.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:47 am

California wrote:Its only a 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom townhouse for a price that would buy me a 2500 sq ft house on 60 acres in the part of CA where my dad grew up (think Oroville Dam) but at least its something. Also its brand new with a 10 year warranty so its not going to be a money pit.

However, being intimately familiar with what the prices are doing after shopping for the last year and knowing the income level it took to get this place I'm hoping we don't have another 2008 coming soon.

Oh and btw. It was the local regulator from the City that has caused delays in us moving in. I don't know what the answer is because we NEED regulations for the safety of the citizenry but when most of the people tasked with doing them are dickbags like this asshole I don't know what the answer is

Congrats California, welcome to the Club ! I hope it all works out well for you.

We do need some basic regulations, but IMHO, they are far too overreaching. We have also reached a point where in too many cases regulators have become arrogant with power, knowing you can't pursue happiness without their rubber stamping your journey to happiness. They have forgotten their role is actually a public servant. It could easily be fixed with strong leadership stressing clearly to all regulators what they are there for.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:

Big reason for me to want that land is for my sons and I to hunt. Also for a personal mirco farm for the family. So unless I fall into an extra couple hundred in cash this will not happen.
I'm much more interested in the farming aspect than hunting. I can certainly understand the urge to have your own space for that, though.

Wouldn't that take 100ish acres, to sustain any kind of useful deer population though?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:50 am

Congratulations! and smart move getting a new place with a warranty - avoid the money pit.
:royalty-queen:

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:10 am

Do we have a technology page here at Hashwerks ?

For lack of a better place, I'm dropping this here.................. the 3D printed house is coming.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:41 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I'm much more interested in the farming aspect than hunting. I can certainly understand the urge to have your own space for that, though.

Wouldn't that take 100ish acres, to sustain any kind of useful deer population though?
It's surrounding by other farms and woods. Plus I would build food plots for the deer. Clover fields mainly. We have land we hunt on, with permission, and built some nice food plots. We starting to get big bucks in our area due to that but along with that came assholes hunting across the creek from us. The reason they are assholes is because they starting sneaking on our food plots stealing trail cameras and stealing ladder stands. Even with hidden cameras it was pointless because they kept their faces covered. The last straw was on opening day of gun season in 2015. They bent up my best ladder stand so right before the evening hunt my buddy and I parked right at the end of our food plot, 100 yrds from were those assholes were hunting and fired off about 300+ rounds of 5.56 from my AR-15. Blowing up cans and shit. Redneck justice!

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:

It's surrounding by other farms and woods. Plus I would build food plots for the deer. Clover fields mainly. We have land we hunt on, with permission, and built some nice food plots. We starting to get big bucks in our area due to that but along with that came assholes hunting across the creek from us. The reason they are assholes is because they starting sneaking on our food plots stealing trail cameras and stealing ladder stands. Even with hidden cameras it was pointless because they kept their faces covered. The last straw was on opening day of gun season in 2015. They bent up my best ladder stand so right before the evening hunt my buddy and I parked right at the end of our food plot, 100 yrds from were those assholes were hunting and fired off about 300+ rounds of 5.56 from my AR-15. Blowing up cans and shit. Redneck justice!
LOL nice. How did you achieve an 'evening hunt' though, after scaring all the wildlife off?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

LOL nice. How did you achieve an 'evening hunt' though, after scaring all the wildlife off?
Lol that was the point. We scared any bucks away from that area for gun season. The "evening hunt" is just the time of day people set up for the evening deer movement. We hunting on my buddies uncle farm the rest of that week. He got a nice 8 point buck. I took a second doe at the end of gun season, I bagged a doe before that in early bow season.