I'm a homeowner now

Ex-California

I'm a homeowner now

Post by Ex-California » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:54 pm

Its only a 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom townhouse for a price that would buy me a 2500 sq ft house on 60 acres in the part of CA where my dad grew up (think Oroville Dam) but at least its something. Also its brand new with a 10 year warranty so its not going to be a money pit.

However, being intimately familiar with what the prices are doing after shopping for the last year and knowing the income level it took to get this place I'm hoping we don't have another 2008 coming soon.

Oh and btw. It was the local regulator from the City that has caused delays in us moving in. I don't know what the answer is because we NEED regulations for the safety of the citizenry but when most of the people tasked with doing them are dickbags like this asshole I don't know what the answer is
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SilverEagle

Re: I'm a homeowner now

Post by SilverEagle » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:00 pm

California wrote:Its only a 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom townhouse for a price that would buy me a 2500 sq ft house on 60 acres in the part of CA where my dad grew up (think Oroville Dam) but at least its something. Also its brand new with a 10 year warranty so its not going to be a money pit.

However, being intimately familiar with what the prices are doing after shopping for the last year and knowing the income level it took to get this place I'm hoping we don't have another 2008 coming soon.

Oh and btw. It was the local regulator from the City that has caused delays in us moving in. I don't know what the answer is because we NEED regulations for the safety of the citizenry but when most of the people tasked with doing them are dickbags like this asshole I don't know what the answer is
Congrats. Question .....how much did it cost you? I'm just curious because our house is 1,700 sq on 2.5 acres in Ohio and we paid $90,000 in 2011. The house was built in 2005. Reason I ask is because my wife watches HGTV and Cali homes are crazy expensive. I don't know how people afford it.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Congrats, man!

I sympathize with you on the local regulation thing. I'm currently going through the process to put an addition on my house and rather than being able to simply get a permit, I need to jump through a whole bunch of extra hoops aflame with bureaucracy with the City and the State because I have conservation easement and a wetland behind my house (not building on either, mind you).

I knew full well at the time of purchase that this was there and was certainly willing to go through the process when the time came, but great googly moogly, it's absurd.
Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Congrats.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm

SilverEagle wrote:
California wrote:Its only a 1800 sq ft 3 bedroom townhouse for a price that would buy me a 2500 sq ft house on 60 acres in the part of CA where my dad grew up (think Oroville Dam) but at least its something. Also its brand new with a 10 year warranty so its not going to be a money pit.

Congrats. Question .....how much did it cost you? I'm just curious because our house is 1,700 sq on 2.5 acres in Ohio and we paid $90,000 in 2011. The house was built in 2005. Reason I ask is because my wife watches HGTV and Cali homes are crazy expensive. I don't know how people afford it.
Nice. we bought in 2011 also, in northern Ohio. About 1900 sq ft, 1 acre, 70k.

Prices have about doubled here now though, so I'm warming up my credit score for when the market rolls over again.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:54 pm

Glad to hear.

Adam Carolla used to do some great rants about the fucked up regulation regime in California. Sounds like it's really out of hand. Just outside of town here, there are shacks made of exposed particle board with multiple families living in them.

What building codes?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:

Prices have about doubled here now though, so I'm warming up my credit score for when the market rolls over again.
Prices here in Columbiana county have not doubled but they have increased a lot. Since moving in we installed tile floors in the kitchen and bath rooms. In every other room we installed 3/4 in thick oak floors and doors. We're looking at having our 125 foot driveway paved this spring. So with all of that the house should be worth in the $160k with help from the upgrades.
Last edited by SilverEagle on Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:37 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:

Prices here in Columbiana county have not doubled but they have increased a lot. Since moving in we installed tile floors in the kitchen and bath rooms. In every other room we installed 3/4 in thick oak floors and doors. We're looking at having our 125 foot driveway paved this spring. So with all of that I house should be worth in the $160k with help from the upgrades.
Sweet, nice work. So far, we've (I've) built a shed, a pergola, a sweet firepit, re-insulated and renovated 2 rooms, painted the entire interior, and - you'll love this - when we moved in, the house had this ugly pink carpet all through the bottom floor. I pulled it up and found a hardwood floor, all ready to go. :)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:43 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Prices here in Columbiana county have not doubled but they have increased a lot. Since moving in we installed tile floors in the kitchen and bath rooms. In every other room we installed 3/4 in thick oak floors and doors. We're looking at having our 125 foot driveway paved this spring. So with all of that the house should be worth in the $160k with help from the upgrades.
Sweet, nice work. So far, we've (I've) built a shed, a pergola, a sweet firepit, re-insulated and renovated 2 rooms, painted the entire interior, and - you'll love this - when we moved in, the house had this ugly pink carpet all through the bottom floor. I pulled it up and found a hardwood floor, all ready to go. :)
Nice find! So do you think you'll flip your house? We plan on staying in ours. I mean we could easily buy a bigger house but I'm not really into it and neither is my wife. We want to put in a nice fire pit outside and I would like to build a big shed for storing the lawn mower and the golf cart. Getting tired of having my side of the garage used up. :D

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:50 am

SilverEagle wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
SilverEagle wrote:
Nice find! So do you think you'll flip your house? We plan on staying in ours. I mean we could easily buy a bigger house but I'm not really into it and neither is my wife. We want to put in a nice fire pit outside and I would like to build a big shed for storing the lawn mower and the golf cart. Getting tired of having my side of the garage used up. :D
Well, I wouldn't call 6 years a 'flip', but I'm definitely interested in moving on. ;) I want more land, and something closer to work. Unfortunately, those two goals are in direct conflict, but hopefully I can grab something nice when the market turns. I'd really like to have some animals (chickens/goats), and possibly some kind of storefront to sell homemade goodies from.

Meantime, I need to figure out how to get the house re-sided on the cheap. We currently have wood siding, and the paint is all falling off it. I could just repaint, obviously, but I think that would actually be a lot more work than installing vinyl. Then there's the upstairs bathroom, that I'm planning to rip apart, and I have to finish mudding/sanding/painting/carpeting an upstairs bedroom...

Yeah, I'll probably be here a while. But when I finish, I expect to sell this place for more than double. 8-)

Formerly GrumpyCatFace