Smitty's last post was Feb 25th, should we put his face on a milk carton?

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Smitty's last post was Feb 25th, should we put his face on a milk carton?

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

StCapps wrote:Your chaotic republic isn't as sweet of a deal, from where I am sitting. Enjoy your individual sovereignty, but that's a double edged sword. We steal your best ideas and scrap your worst, we may not be as innovative but once we discover a better solution we can implement it a lot easier. Learning from America's mistakes so we don't have to fall prey to those same mistakes, is definitely a strong suit of ours.

From where y'all are sitting though you might be willing to put up with the extra chaos for the individual sovereignty and that generally works out great for us when that shit stays on your side of the border and you don't stir up too many hornets nests abroad that end up blowing back on us as well. Keep on with your Republican set up America, we appreciate it, but our deal is still sweeter than yours.
Oh no no no, don't get me wrong. I think the British/Euro systems of government are showing themselves to be quite superior, except in the area of personal privacy. Generally though, people appear to have much greater say in what happens, and government at least puts on a much better showing of attonement, after a fuckup.

I just find it comical that you guys still feel the need to pretend that the monarch is anything other than a bald-eagle-national-pastime figurehead.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:58 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I just find it comical that you guys still feel the need to pretend that the monarch is anything other than a bald-eagle-national-pastime figurehead.
They are a figurehead, but the monarch is also a whole lot more than just a figurehead in the British system and we like it that way because it works better.

If parliament ever breaks down we have a fail safe in place until we get it functioning again, in a Republican system there is no such fail safe, just ask the French who had to deal with their Republic repeatedly falling apart only to be replace by a new republic, not exactly an orderly transition. There is a far more chaotic transition when democratic accountability isn't working properly in republic than in a constitution monarchy. If the monarch was just a figurehead they couldn't fulfill that function if it was required in a worst case scenario.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:01 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I just find it comical that you guys still feel the need to pretend that the monarch is anything other than a bald-eagle-national-pastime figurehead.
They are a figurehead, but the monarch is also a whole lot more than just a figurehead in the British system and we like it that way because it works better.
Ok, since you insist on this, could you please show me a few examples of actual power that has been wielded by the monarch in the past 50 years?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Ok, since you insist on this, could you please show me a few examples of actual power that has been wielded by the monarch in the past 50 years?
The Monarch wields their power through appointed representatives who carry out the will of the crown in their appointed positions. They have others to do much of their dirty work for them, it's just more efficient that way. The Monarch's duties, just as your POTUS's duties, are often ceremonial, but that does not mean those are their only duties, both are the executive branch of government of their respective systems. Our entire legal system is based on legal authority of the Crown. The Parliament passes the laws, the Crown executes those laws, that's how it works.

Our Prime Minister is not part of the executive branch, they are part of legislative branch, they are like the speaker of the house around your parts. We don't elect our executive, y'all do. You want your executive to be elected by popularity contest and to be subject to political whims of the electorate and we want our executive to be unswayed by that kind of populism and to reign for longer period of time to create a more stable continuity in our executive branch. We want our executive to be as apolitical as possible, and y'all want your executive to be forced to play political games on massive scale in order to rule.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:27 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Ok, since you insist on this, could you please show me a few examples of actual power that has been wielded by the monarch in the past 50 years?
The Monarch wields their power through appointed representatives who carry out the will of the crown in their appointed positions. They have others to do much of their dirty work for them, it's just more efficient that way. The Monarch's duties, just as your POTUS's duties, are often ceremonial, but that does not mean those are their only duties, both are the executive branch of government of their respective systems. Our entire legal system is based on legal authority of the Crown. The Parliament passes the laws, the Crown executes those laws, that's how it works.

Our Prime Minister is not part of the executive branch, they are part of legislative branch, they are like the speaker of the house around your parts. We don't elect our executive, y'all do.
1 - what representatives are appointed by the monarch?

2 - what do those representatives have power over?

3 - why do we have your Prime Minister involved in all foreign relations, and the queen maybe gets a nice lunch?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:1 - what representatives are appointed by the monarch?

2 - what do those representatives have power over?

3 - why do we have your Prime Minister involved in all foreign relations, and the queen maybe gets a nice lunch?
1) They appoint the Governor General on the federal level and Lieutenant Governor on the provincial level.

2) They carry out the duties of the executive branch for the Monarch.

3) We want our executive to be as apolitical as possible and not some partisan hack like Justin Trudeau guided by his desire for re-election. Hence appointing people instead of electing them. Getting involved in the fine details of foreign policy with politicians in other nations is not something we want our Executive meddling in. It's better to let the legislative branch have the bully pulpit than to give it to executive and force your executive to be politician too. Mixing politics and the executive branch, republics are silly like that.
*yip*

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:51 pm

Time for RIP post?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Let's not forget Capps. He also went missing in action after the hockey wars.
After re-reading this thread I am reminded that he too had some valuable contributions to make to the forum.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm
After re-reading this thread I am reminded that he too had some valuable contributions to make to the forum.
Capps is around...lurking...in the shadows...

Seriously wondering if Smitty went to the big rink in the sky.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:11 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:09 pm
Capps is around...lurking...in the shadows...

Seriously wondering if Smitty went to the big rink in the sky.
Let's hope he doesn't bump into Flip if he did 'cos that's going to be awkward.

Seriously though, I think he was just bored with us.
Martin did say something about him getting blocked from signing in after changing his e-mail address and may have mistakenly thought Martin had blocked him.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.