Best Films of 2016/2017

GloryofGreece

Re: Best Films of 2016/2017

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:54 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:This film is so awesome. I missed it when films had us thinking about these things days later.
Do you watch Westworld and if you did do you think it sparked those same or similar thoughts?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:44 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:This film is so awesome. I missed it when films had us thinking about these things days later.
Do you watch Westworld and if you did do you think it sparked those same or similar thoughts?

Have not seen that show. Don't have HBO.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I can't remember b/c I haven't watched the original that often or recently but is there any discussion of replicant models looking like they age over time? Also, was it brought up how Tyrell died or left the scene. I wish Wallace's backstory was elaborated more but I realize there isn't enough time in a movie to really do that thoroughly. Those little floating black min drones that buzzed around him were cryptic almost like transhuman little fairies.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:48 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:I can't remember b/c I haven't watched the original that often or recently but is there any discussion of replicant models looking like they age over time? Also, was it brought up how Tyrell died or left the scene. I wish Wallace's backstory was elaborated more but I realize there isn't enough time in a movie to really do that thoroughly. Those little floating black min drones that buzzed around him were cryptic almost like transhuman little fairies.

The original film is overhyped.

I think it must have been based on Larry Niven's Dream Park novel? That was the original RPG lit.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:58 pm

Wind River = 9/10. Good suspense-crime thriller. Made by the director of Sicario and Hell or High Water.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:59 pm

I saw Blade Runner tonight. I liked it.

Two questions, what happened to Las Vegas, and why was there so much damn whiskey?

I liked the part where the writer reached out to the viewer to say, "yeah, we all want to be the one, but you're not."
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 am

Blade Runner 2049. Great movie! Shot beautifully good script, thought provoking, even has Harrison Ford as a bonus! Speaker really likes scifi, so he would definitely enjoy it. Why cant more hollywood movies be more like this? Why is everything superheroes now?
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:27 am

Okeefenokee wrote:I saw Blade Runner tonight. I liked it.

Two questions, what happened to Las Vegas, and why was there so much damn whiskey?

I liked the part where the writer reached out to the viewer to say, "yeah, we all want to be the one, but you're not."
Fuck yes! Blade Runner was great. I asked my gf what happened with Vegas and the radiaton, and she didnt know either. I think that dog there was real though. Looked like a stray to me. Why would they make a replicant dog in an abandoned city? Glad you liked the movie bro! I did too!
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:33 am

The world of Blade Runner is set after a nuclear war. The Earth is dying from radiation. That is why they needed to colonize other worlds so badly. Some of the people are called chicken heads because the radiation basically made them retarded. One of the characters in the first film (and novel) was like that.

Neither film really captures the feeling in the novel that real life is slowly getting replaced by artificial life. The existential angst felt by many humans in the novel was thgat humanity is dying and all this artificial trap is replacing us. This is why people basically made a religion out of keeping live animals, which were so.rare they were very expensive. But they could by artificial life cheap.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:38 am

One problem with both films compared to the novel is that the replicants are portrayed as having compassion. In the novel they show no such traits. They will crush the life out of you with no more moral hesitation than a faulty piston.