Fife

Re: 5 Reasons why Baseball is better than Football

Post by Fife » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:25 pm

something flashy

Hwen Hoshino

Post by Hwen Hoshino » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:12 am

skankhunt42 wrote:
Mercury wrote:1. Baseball championship games do not stop for 30+ minutes for shitty pop-tarts to pretend to sing their own songs.

2. Baseball games do not attract the element of society that watches something because they like the commercials.

3. Baseball players do not, in general, start break-dancing or pretending that they are King Kong, after completing a routine defensive play.

4. Baseball games, on television, very rarely show Jerry Jones' face.

5. Baseball does not pretend that it is better than other sports because of some kind of parity that does not exist.
As someone who played both at a high level, football is better if you're an alpha male mother fucker who likes violence... Which you don't... Which is fine. Also, I feel like you got this off a Facebook feed or something, it feels like it was written by some beta.
Define Alpha Male.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:09 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mercury wrote:1. Baseball championship games do not stop for 30+ minutes for shitty pop-tarts to pretend to sing their own songs.

2. Baseball games do not attract the element of society that watches something because they like the commercials.

3. Baseball players do not, in general, start break-dancing or pretending that they are King Kong, after completing a routine defensive play.

5. Baseball does not pretend that it is better than other sports because of some kind of parity that does not exist.

I cannot argue with any of this.

I might become a baseball fan.
The problem for me is, baseball is played during a time of year when I'm not watching much TV. Can you fix that for me ?
I'll add another endorsement to radio, depending on what region/market you're in.

Despite some baggage, I like football a lot. Enough that I've been following my Lions since the mid-'80s (yeah). Football is better on tv, imo, but baseball translates to radio pretty well.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 am

Hwen Hoshino wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:

As someone who played both at a high level, football is better if you're an alpha male mother fucker who likes violence... Which you don't... Which is fine. Also, I feel like you got this off a Facebook feed or something, it feels like it was written by some beta.
Define Alpha Male.
Alpha Male: Whatever you happen to like about yourself, and want others to emulate. Typically insecure and fearful of other aggressive males.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:24 am

skankhunt42 wrote:

I feel like you took it literally.

Can't say much about male mother fucking, but I deleted my facebook account over 3 years ago. Upon doing so, I experienced an immediate improvement in my quality of life. You might consider doing the same.
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:20 pm

OK, I think you can get a good sense of how good a pitcher is almost immediately, in many cases. With hitters and fielders you might need a little background info in some cases, though obviously you can see power and foot speed pretty quickly.

But, even with Greg Maddox or someone subtle, once you know you can watch it happening. Most elements of every play are readily observable. Pitcher threw a nice pitch, hitter got ahold of it anyway. Smashed it down the line, at the third baseman looked like Spiderman snagging it from the air.

Football is like, hut, hut.... PGEWUHWIHEPQWHPRHH QB has ball. ASFHPWFEOHEFEEWH. Throws to one guy who makes a great catch. Commercial with talking babies.

I'm really skeptical of anyone being able to observe what the CB who wasn't thrown to was doing, and what the center was doing. We probably didn't see the WRs route, though we might have read somewhere that he is a good route runner. Or even really knowing what a good center or OL does most of the time. I guess like, if their man doesn't get through that much, they are good. But it's not like you can really see their footwork on TV.
Hwen Hoshino wrote: Define Alpha Male.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:07 pm

I agree, and that's why I mentioned that it's frustrating to watch on tv sometimes. There's just not enough FOV to see what's happening everywhere.

But look at somebody like Julian Edelman or Wes Welker. Those guys are moving at double-speed to anyone else on the field, and you can see it right away. Or a Devin Hester when he was able to run back kicks (fuck you Goodell). Dude was unbelievable.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:21 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I agree, and that's why I mentioned that it's frustrating to watch on tv sometimes. There's just not enough FOV to see what's happening everywhere.

But look at somebody like Julian Edelman or Wes Welker. Those guys are moving at double-speed to anyone else on the field, and you can see it right away. Or a Devin Hester when he was able to run back kicks (fuck you Goodell). Dude was unbelievable.
No. I'm mocking you baseball guys because i played at the school Edelman is from with a couple of NFL players. I've met Edelman (he's younger than me) a couple of times. I've been in that fox hole. I don't think you guys could ever realize the amount of testosterone that exists in a division 1 football locker room because none of you on here have probably experienced it. You've never had to go to Iowa and and run down the field and fuck someone up when they are ranked in the top 10 in the country. You've never had to put your bodies through the workouts, you've never had to violently go hit mother fuckers in a sport before. You watch it, you comment on it, you're entitled to your opinion... But to act like guys that play baseball are a bunch of bad asses. whatever. I was an all district baseball player at a division 1 HS in OH, which is average baseball at best, but the sport of baseball is a skill. You don't have to be physically gifted or athletic to play it.

Cue the trolling bullshit you all so love.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:25 pm

skankhunt42 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I agree, and that's why I mentioned that it's frustrating to watch on tv sometimes. There's just not enough FOV to see what's happening everywhere.

No. I'm mocking you baseball guys because i played at the school Edelman is from with a couple of NFL players. I've met Edelman (he's younger than me) a couple of times. I've been in that fox hole. I don't think you guys could ever realize the amount of testosterone that exists in a division 1 football locker room because none of you on here have probably experienced it. You've never had to go to Iowa and and run down the field and fuck someone up when they are ranked in the top 10 in the country. You've never had to put your bodies through the workouts, you've never had to violently go hit mother fuckers in a sport before. You watch it, you comment on it, you're entitled to your opinion... But to act like guys that play baseball are a bunch of bad asses. whatever. I was an all district baseball player at a division 1 HS in OH, which is average baseball at best, but the sport of baseball is a skill. You don't have to be physically gifted or athletic to play it.

Cue the trolling bullshit you all so love.
.... I don't think anyone was arguing that baseball players are more 'badass' than football players.. We were discussing the strategy of the games, and comparing the fan experience.

And I used to play tackle football without pads every weekend in highschool. It's probably not as violent as padded play, but I'm sure it qualified as 'alpha'.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:40 am

Them trees out yonder...maybe some kinda forest... hard to tell.