Post by apeman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Wife and I did too.

We assume he is less clown than gary, but no idea

adwinistrator

Re: I broke my political compass

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:56 pm

apeman wrote:Wife and I did too.

We assume he is less clown than gary, but no idea
I checked out his Ballotpedia page, and he submitted enough info to get my vote...
I want to change the culture of politics in Washington. I will be more transparent and provide my constituency with insight of my decision making. I will make it clear how I am voting and why so that the public can be assured that I am a man of principle and am serving the public interest. My political philosophy is in short that I want to get the government out of our personal lives and give power over our lives back to the people.
Although his choice of tie had me undecided.

:lol:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:03 pm

Brazil has over twenty parties running for 2018.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Brazil has over twenty parties running for 2018.
That sounds more like a 'democracy' than 2 diametrically-opposed parties running everything and blaming each other...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:27 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
That sounds more like a 'democracy' than 2 diametrically-opposed parties running everything and blaming each other...

But really it signals social disorder and the potential for national disintegration.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

But really it signals social disorder and the potential for national disintegration.
I don't see why.. Do you think that societies are stronger when united in a single, strong vision of leadership? Perhaps with a charismatic, "Man of the People" to lead them? :twisted:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I don't see why.. Do you think that societies are stronger when united in a single, strong vision of leadership? Perhaps with a charismatic, "Man of the People" to lead them? :twisted:

Yes. Demonstrably so. The danger in one-party rule, however, is that it becomes a kind of tyranny. The more factions, the less likely any one faction will be able to consolidate enough power to create something like that. But the more factions you have, the more fractious the government, and the more divided and combative the demos.

When you see a multiplication of political parties in a democratic republic of some kind, watch out. Look at our 1860s as one example. Germany in the 1920s as another..

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:43 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yes. Demonstrably so. The danger in one-party rule, however, is that it becomes a kind of tyranny. The more factions, the less likely any one faction will be able to consolidate enough power to create something like that. But the more factions you have, the more fractious the government, and the more divided and combative the demos.

When you see a multiplication of political parties in a democratic republic of some kind, watch out. Look at our 1860s as one example. Germany in the 1920s as another..
In your opinion, in principle, what number of distinct parties strikes the best balance? 2, 4-6, 7-10?

I realize voting systems tend to force the divisional lines (FPTP=2 party), so I'm not sure if there's a independent answer without mucking through that mess...

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:49 pm

I think twenty is pushing Weimar levels but iirc they had fifty at one point.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:58 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

The danger in one-party rule, however, is that it becomes a kind of tyranny.
Ya think?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace