Dogma

Speaker to Animals

Re: Dogma

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:42 pm

California wrote:TED is a cult no better or different than various religious cults.

There is a self-important and self-serving fervor in Silicon Valley among all the big players that trickles down into some of the true believers, TED is a result of that

TED is Silicon Valley's Scientology

Yep. I can't generally stand any of the Ted talks.

If you have a good idea, just video tape it yourself and upload it on youtube. Promote in a few reddit pages or something. It will eventually get the viewership it deserves if it truly deserves them.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:43 pm

California wrote:TED is a cult no better or different than various religious cults.

There is a self-important and self-serving fervor in Silicon Valley among all the big players that trickles down into some of the true believers, TED is a result of that

This is not about Ted Talks really, it's just where the idea for a discussion about dogma came from.

How often do we even consider or try to analyze our own dogma ?
What's your dogma California ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

If you have a good idea, just video tape it yourself and upload it on youtube. Promote in a few reddit pages or something. It will eventually get the viewership it deserves if it truly deserves them.
what's your dogma Doc ?
I think I can name a bunch of them. :mrgreen:
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:50 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
- I believe that Science is the only way to view objective truth, and any belief that contradicts it is dangerous to our progress
- I believe that religion is a complete waste of time for me, but has been incredibly necessary for the frightened masses to coalesce into societies.
This is not an attack on you, but my viewpoint on yours.

When I look at those two statements, I think, Science is GCF's religion. Science is what GCF contributes money to, it's the icon's he has in his home, it's how he forms his moral and ethical choices in life.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:53 pm

C-Mag wrote:

what's your dogma Doc ?
http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachi ... e-believe/

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:56 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
- I believe that Science is the only way to view objective truth, and any belief that contradicts it is dangerous to our progress
- I believe that religion is a complete waste of time for me, but has been incredibly necessary for the frightened masses to coalesce into societies.

When I look at those two statements, I think, Science is GCF's religion. Science is what GCF contributes money to, it's the icon's he has in his home, it's how he forms his moral and ethical choices in life.
Then allow me to retort...

I don't contribute a dime to science, outside of my taxes. I have no icons, other than a few old posters of rock stars, football players, and the Tribune day-after-Cubs-won. I do base my morals upon the most objective view possible, but that's never going to truly be an option. I like to think of myself as working for the greatest good, whenever possible.

I just have no patience for someone arguing 300 years of geological evidence and expecting me to 'go along with' their belief that the earth is 6,000 years old. Or that homosexuality is a sin to some invisible God-force. I have no interest in belief without evidence. You're certainly welcome to it, just keep it away from me, I guess.

If it helps, I take the same approach toward Science itself. I don't like to accept things without reviewing at least some of the evidence for it. I don't think that Dark Matter or Dark Energy exist, because there's no evidence for them, other than a hole in the physics equations. I'm quite certain that Quantum Physics revolve around some basic misunderstanding of the evidence, even though we have the effects mapped out clearly. I'm a natural skeptic like that.
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:57 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yeah, it's also a logical fallacy aside from a nonsensical belief system. Science can help us to understand truths about the physical universe. It won't tell you the truth about how you should act in a moral dilemma, how best to organize society, and so forth. It certainly can lend perspective to those things in the forms of propositions within a larger argument, but to say that it's the only truth is actually fallacious.

It's akin to the fallacy of verificationism, i.e. if a statement cannot be scientifically verified and proven, then it is meaningless.

Science can't prove you love your children, or that killing six million Jews was totally evil, and so on.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:59 pm

C-Mag wrote: what's your dogma Doc ?
http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-teachi ... e-believe/
That's one of the things I love about you. You know who you are, you understand and embrace your religion and your unapologetic about what you believe.

+1
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:01 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Yeah, it's also a logical fallacy aside from a nonsensical belief system. Science can help us to understand truths about the physical universe. It won't tell you the truth about how you should act in a moral dilemma, how best to organize society, and so forth. It certainly can lend perspective to those things in the forms of propositions within a larger argument, but to say that it's the only truth is actually fallacious.

It's akin to the fallacy of verificationism, i.e. if a statement cannot be scientifically verified and proven, then it is meaningless.

Science can't prove you love your children, or that killing six million Jews was totally evil, and so on.
Of course. And there's nothing wrong with saying that we don't understand where all morality comes from, or what the absolute correct decision is in any situation. I think a lot of the hate on Science lately revolves around journalists trying to extrapolate their goofy-ass headlines from half-understood knowledge.

The truth is that there often is no 'correct' choice in a moral dilemma. You just do the best you can. That doesn't require any sort of religious faith to operate - it's how your mind works anyway.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:02 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:

Of course. And there's nothing wrong with saying that we don't understand where all morality comes from, or what the absolute correct decision is in any situation. I think a lot of the hate on Science lately revolves around journalists trying to extrapolate their goofy-ass headlines from half-understood knowledge.

The truth is that there often is no 'correct' choice in a moral dilemma. You just do the best you can. That doesn't require any sort of religious faith to operate - it's how your mind works anyway.

You can't really argue from an is to and ought in most cases (really, almost all cases). This isn't about religion. It's simple logical truth.

As far as "hatred" on science, I think that's mostly because a lot of science today is political garbage. People can see right through the bullshit, but they are now skeptical of real scientists.