Dogma

C-Mag

Dogma

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 am

DOGMA

I recently have watched several banned Ted Talks. These Ted Talks are by mostly distinguished academics who crossed the line and challenged current dogmas, and were banned. For instance, Rupert Sheldrake. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKHUaNAxsTg

We all follow certain Dogma's, our own body of known truths, bias', prejudicious and practice.

What is it that drives us to adopt or refute beliefs? How often do we challenge our own dogma one it's formed?

For instance if I believe Adam Carolla is Left Coast Liberal, how often do I listen to what Carolla is saying on consider if my dogma is correct ?

Secondly, What is the basis of your Dogma and what Dogma have you formed. Most of us will have several dogma's political, scientific, religious or our vocation.

C-Magnus, personal Dogmas
Influences:
1. Parents/Family with strong attachment to immigrant roots.
2. Working Class Catholic upbringing
3. Military career and experiences

10 of my Dogmas:
1. Personal Liberty and Freedom
2. Question Obedience
3. Constantly evaluate leaders and distaste for poor leaders
4. Challenge the status quo if it's not working
5. Science, Education, Vocation can be every bit a religion for people as praying to a diety.
6. Collectivist governments will lead to massive human suffering.
7. Progressivism is an enemy to Liberty and Freedom, both the GOP and Dem establishment are Progressives.
8. The Progressive Era is ending, we don't know what will replace it yet. But I'm optimistic it will be better.
9. Democrats have never owned up to their 175 year history or institutional racism, therefore have no authority to talk about race in America.
10. People need to be responsible for their actions. Actions are more important than words.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Dogma

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:51 am

Interesting.. I hadn't heard about these 3 TED talks that were taken off their website.
http://highexistence.com/teds-controver ... to-censor/

Not exactly a dramatic action, but I'm curious enough whether they were later disproven or something.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:00 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Interesting.. I hadn't heard about these 3 TED talks that were taken off their website.
http://highexistence.com/teds-controver ... to-censor/

Not exactly a dramatic action, but I'm curious enough whether they were later disproven or something.
Why would Ted Talks ever take anything down ?

I just thought it would be interesting to talk about Dogmas, how ours is formed, do we challenge them?

Like right now, we have a multi-day, 20 page discussion on the crowd size at the inauguration. :lol:
It's frickin stupid. I try not to get into those. Yeah, I step in make my point and then I'm out. Because it's just people with opposing dogmas arguing back and forth.

It's really funny that in internet forums people say no one every says their wrong or change their views. If that's true, what they hell are we doing here?
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:03 pm

C-Mag wrote:[It's really funny that in internet forums people say no one every says their wrong or change their views. If that's true, what they hell are we doing here?
I've been asking myself that lately. I think it's mainly just a release valve for our mutual frustration, at this point. The number of places on the internet where you can really 'let it rip' are dwindling fast...

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:11 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:[It's really funny that in internet forums people say no one every says their wrong or change their views. If that's true, what they hell are we doing here?
I've been asking myself that lately. I think it's mainly just a release valve for our mutual frustration, at this point. The number of places on the internet where you can really 'let it rip' are dwindling fast...
I'm not sure Waleis made it over to Hashworks, but I loved discussing topics with him, even though we were almost polar opposites politically.

What are your Dogmas, and what formed them ?
PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:22 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I'm not sure Waleis made it over to Hashworks, but I loved discussing topics with him, even though we were almost polar opposites politically.

What are your Dogmas, and what formed them ?
I think the nature of a Dogma is that you usually don't realize that you have them... but I can spell out some of my most fundamental beliefs:

- I believe that Science is the only way to view objective truth, and any belief that contradicts it is dangerous to our progress
- I believe that religion is a complete waste of time for me, but has been incredibly necessary for the frightened masses to coalesce into societies.
- I believe that the primary purpose of life is to care for your offspring, OR to contribute progress to our knowledge. Personal time should be structured around those 2 things, not take their place.
- I believe that our nation is doomed without a 3rd- and possibly 4th- and 5th-party system.
- I believe that people will fight hardest for an incorrect belief. If you already know you're right, you tend to ignore the 1,000th bastard posting nonsense.
- I believe that it's a personal failing not to seek out new knowledge, or disregard evidence that you're wrong.
- I believe that we are on the declining side of a cycle of civilization - even after such a short time - that will lead to a totalitarian government within my lifetime.
- I believe that there is no difference between races, but there are significant cultural differences that are becoming dangerous.

P.S. - I'm sure I'll be editing this post for a while..

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:25 pm

Here's another Ted Talk that apparently was banned. It talks about how electronic media is filtering information made readily available to you. How does this affect our dogma? To me, it is a bad thing, it mostly reinforces anything your believe, without offering up opposing views .

PLATA O PLOMO

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:27 pm

C-Mag wrote:Here's another Ted Talk that apparently was banned. It talks about how electronic media is filtering information made readily available to you. How does this affect our dogma? To me, it is a bad thing, it mostly reinforces anything your believe, without offering up opposing views .

I don't see why it would matter. It took me all of 3 seconds to google them up and watch, if I wanted to... If TED doesn't want to host particular talks on their site, it doesn't affect much. Surprising, but not a major issue.

The Internet Never Forgets.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:36 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:Here's another Ted Talk that apparently was banned. It talks about how electronic media is filtering information made readily available to you. How does this affect our dogma? To me, it is a bad thing, it mostly reinforces anything your believe, without offering up opposing views .
I don't see why it would matter. It took me all of 3 seconds to google them up and watch, if I wanted to... If TED doesn't want to host particular talks on their site, it doesn't affect much. Surprising, but not a major issue.

The Internet Never Forgets.

To me it matters because this is how we end up with giant movements, be it Obama was born in Kenya or Trump is a racist.
PLATA O PLOMO

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:38 pm

TED is a cult no better or different than various religious cults.

There is a self-important and self-serving fervor in Silicon Valley among all the big players that trickles down into some of the true believers, TED is a result of that

TED is Silicon Valley's Scientology
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session