Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:21 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 am

She grew up in the Depression, pretty sure all sports were segregated when she got into them.

Black people playing basketball was weird to her.
Indeed. Back then, it wasn't Monkey Ball yet.
The bizarre contradictions of the reycism back then.

For example she opposed Jim Crow, she didn't think there should be laws which oppressed black people.

At the same time she didn't want them living on her street nor even working at her country club.
As my grandma often says "I think everyone would just be better off with their own kind".
:lol:
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 am
Smitty-48 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:17 am
Indeed. Back then, it wasn't Monkey Ball yet.

For example she opposed Jim Crow, she didn't think there should be laws which oppressed black people.

At the same time she didn't want them living on her street nor even working at her country club.
As my grandma often says "I think everyone would just be better off with their own kind".
My grandmother was libertarian when it came to government, she didn't want the government imposing things.

Jim Crow was government oppression, so that was the problem, private oppression was private.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:25 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:23 am
Smitty-48 wrote:

My grandmother was libertarian when it came to government, she didn't want the government imposing things.

Jim Crow was government oppression, so that was the problem, private oppression was private.
My grandma has a little of that in her as well, mostly because her and my grandfather were weary of government imposed oppression against Italians.
Last edited by StCapps on Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:32 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 am
My grandma has a little of that in her as well, mostly because her and my grandfather were weary of government imposed oppression against Italians.
My grandma, or Marg, short for Margaret, was reycist against anybody who wasn't a WASP.

So Italians were not white, Catholics were not even white.

Her father, my great grandfather who fought in WWI, he came from Ulster, so never mind Jews, they hated Papists.

Eyetalians? That was like being black, there was no pecking order, everybody not a WASP was foreign.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 am

My Grandpa's name was Cesare Augusto, he went by Che for short at work, then the WASP's he was working with thought people were saying "Jake" sometime during WWII, and that stuck for the rest of his life, he went by that ever since.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 am
My Grandpa's name was Cesare Augusto, he went by Che for short at work, then the WASP's he was working with thought people were saying "Jake" sometime during WWII, and that stuck for the rest of his life, and he went by that ever since.
Oh my American grandfather, who was in the RCAF, he was the opposite of my grandma, he was the quiet husband with the loud obnoxious wife, he barely said much at all, he liked trains, he had model trains in his garage, he would hang out there, he was fascinated by trains, the classic train set guy.

It's funny one time they got liquored up, so they start laying into my dad, and my dad starts egging them on, so they both like come at him, like they're gonna lay a beat down on him, meanwhile my dad is huge, but these two were both going to slap him around like when he was a kid, and my grandad goes to punch my da and misses and hits her instead.

Socked her right in the eye, and she starts wailing "he hit me, Lorne, he hit me!"

And he had a smirk on his face, "he didn't hit you, I did!" like he finally got a shot in on her was enjoying the moment. lol.

Meanwhile I'm watching all this as a kid, they're not even paying attention to me, it's the three of them going at it and I'm like the fly on the wall, which even at that age I was thinking, these people are fucking weird. lol.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:40 am
StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:33 am
My Grandpa's name was Cesare Augusto, he went by Che for short at work, then the WASP's he was working with thought people were saying "Jake" sometime during WWII, and that stuck for the rest of his life, and he went by that ever since.
Oh my American grandfather, who was in the RCAF, he was the opposite of my grandma, he was the quiet husband with the loud obnoxious wife, he barely said much at all, he liked trains, he had model trains in his garage, he would hang out there, he was fascinated by trains, the classic train set guy.

It's funny one time they got liquored up, so they start laying into my dad, and my dad starts egging them on, so they both like come at him, like they're gonna lay a beat down on him, meanwhile my dad is huge, but these two were both going to slap him around like when he was a kid, and my grandad goes to punch my da and misses and hits her instead.

Socked her right in the eye, and she starts wailing "he hit me, Lorne, he hit me!"

And he had a smirk on his face, "he didn't hit you, I did!" like he finally got a shot in on her was enjoying the moment. lol.

Meanwhile I'm watching all this as a kid, they're not even paying attention to me, it's the three of them going at it and I'm like the fly on the wall, which even at that age I was thinking, these people are fucking weird. lol.
That's a great story, weird but hilarious nonetheless.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:58 am

StCapps wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:54 am
That's a great story, weird but hilarious nonetheless.
I'm coming from the most lefty wefty progressive Toronto environment from the 1970's, and here I am in Los Angeles with these raging drunks out of the 1930's, and they are attacking my dad, and he's taking it, because it's his parents, so it was quite the strange contrast from what I was used to.

My mother would freak out If used any reycist, sexist or other slurs, down in LA you could let fly with whatever, although I didn't, that seemed jarring to me, at that age my father didn't even say shit like that around me.

All I cared about was being in LA, it was like Oz, a magical wonderland, so mostly I just did my own thing, while the three of them went at it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:33 am

A photograph of a cloud formation resembling the East Anglian warrior queen Boudicca has been described as "awesome", by a weather expert.

Christine Clifford spotted the "Spear-carrying Boudicca striding across the Norfolk skies" earlier this week.

It is thought to be a combination of clouds and a plane trail, and looks like a woman with long-flowing hair.

Meteorologist Fred Best from Weatherquest said: "The more you look at it you can really see the Boudicca."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51235975
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:33 am
A photograph of a cloud formation resembling the East Anglian warrior queen Boudicca has been described as "awesome", by a weather expert.

Christine Clifford spotted the "Spear-carrying Boudicca striding across the Norfolk skies" earlier this week.

It is thought to be a combination of clouds and a plane trail, and looks like a woman with long-flowing hair.

Meteorologist Fred Best from Weatherquest said: "The more you look at it you can really see the Boudicca."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-51235975
Meh. Australia pretty much beat everybody.