Literal Odds and Ends

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:31 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:59 am

I fucking hate snakes.

I disturbed one in the garden yesterday, probably a whipsnake.
Just to be sure I've just been looking up European snakes and venomous snakes of France.
Not a good idea, now I don't want to go back in the garden.
Didn't help that my next door neighbour came out and warned me to watch out for Vipers as I'm clearing the scrub.

One of the snakes I've seen here before looks a lot like this one...
...which is the European common Viper.
Generally, a round head is safe. Triangular head means venomous. But yeah, I’m grateful that there aren’t many snakes in the Land of Buckeyes.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:31 pm
Montegriffo wrote:

I fucking hate snakes.

Just to be sure I've just been looking up European snakes and venomous snakes of France.
Didn't help that my next door neighbour came out and warned me to watch out for Vipers as I'm clearing the scrub.

Generally, a round head is safe. Triangular head means venomous. But yeah, I’m grateful that there aren’t many snakes in the Land of Buckeyes.
On the plus side, I've not heard any scratching noises coming from the roof so it's possible that the snakes have been helping out with the dormouse infestation.
The fat dormouse or edible dormouse (glis glis) is cute enough but the little fuckers get into the house down the chimney and shit everywhere so if a few vipers have been thinning them out for me I'll just put it down to the circle of life.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:35 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:13 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I fucking hate snakes.

On the plus side, I've not heard any scratching noises coming from the roof so it's possible that the snakes have been helping out with the dormouse infestation.
The fat dormouse or edible dormouse (glis glis) is cute enough but the little fuckers get into the house down the chimney and shit everywhere so if a few vipers have been thinning them out for me I'll just put it down to the circle of life.
I had a squirrel start nesting in my ceiling. Bitch ate a hole in my brand new drywall. I drove her out with some repellent, and had to get the hole sealed behind my gutters.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 am

Montegriffo wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

I fucking hate snakes.

Looks like you need a cat. They eat all the rodents so the snakes go and hunt elsewhere.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 am

Hastur wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 am
Montegriffo wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Looks like you need a cat. They eat all the rodents so the snakes go and hunt elsewhere.
Yeah, when I move out here I'll be looking out for a big semi-feral farmcat to help with the mouse problem.
Still not heard them moving about in the roof at night. I don't know when the come out of hibernation. They're dormant for 6 months of the year so I'd have thought they would be waking up soon.
They are the size of a small rat so they are large enough to shoot. If I come across a gun shop I might get myself an air pistol.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 am

yeah fuck snakes, had to kill a rattlesnake at work a few days ago. ran it over with the truck first to even the odds

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:38 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 am
Hastur wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 am
Montegriffo wrote:

Yeah, when I move out here I'll be looking out for a big semi-feral farmcat to help with the mouse problem.
Still not heard them moving about in the roof at night. I don't know when the come out of hibernation. They're dormant for 6 months of the year so I'd have thought they would be waking up soon.
They are the size of a small rat so they are large enough to shoot. If I come across a gun shop I might get myself an air pistol.
I'd like a cat but unless it was a truly badass animal it would become coyote feed
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Since tracing down my surname genealogy and discovering my great, great grandfather was born in England I have decided to start a tea collection. Tea is quite good, it stirs my Anglo sensibilities. I want to try Assam tea on a recommendation and also there is this
By the late 1830s, a market for Assam tea was being assessed in London; and the positive feedback led the East India Company to inaugurate a long drawn process of dispossession of agricultural land and forest commons through the infamous 'Wasteland Acts' allowing significant portions of the province by private capital to be transformed into tea plantations. The close symbiotic relationship of the colonial state and plantation capitalism through the colonial period is most succinctly captured in the term Planter-Raj.
I can't wait to try a cup while reminiscing about how my ancestors oppressed shit skins.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:39 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:43 pm
Since tracing down my surname genealogy and discovering my great, great grandfather was born in England I have decided to start a tea collection. Tea is quite good, it stirs my Anglo sensibilities. I want to try Assam tea on a recommendation and also there is this
By the late 1830s, a market for Assam tea was being assessed in London; and the positive feedback led the East India Company to inaugurate a long drawn process of dispossession of agricultural land and forest commons through the infamous 'Wasteland Acts' allowing significant portions of the province by private capital to be transformed into tea plantations. The close symbiotic relationship of the colonial state and plantation capitalism through the colonial period is most succinctly captured in the term Planter-Raj.
I can't wait to try a cup while reminiscing about how my ancestors oppressed shit skins.

Assam is a strong dark black tea often sold as a breakfast tea.
A good choice if you like to have milk in your tea.

As a tea connoisseur what you really want is Darjeeling. Preferably first flush, green Darjeeling which is best drunk black. It's the best tea available but comes at a high price.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu May 02, 2019 12:36 pm

As if snakes aren't scary enough already...

3-Eyed Snake Found in Australia Surprises Rangers
Rangers found this carpet python near the small Australian town of Humpty Doo.
Credit: Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission

Rangers in Australia could hardly believe their eyes when they came across a wild snake with three functioning peepers on its head.

The snake, a carpet python (Morelia spilota), had a third eye on its forehead. This condition is extremely rare, said David Penning, an assistant professor of biology at Missouri Southern State University, who was not involved with the snake's case.

"Until today, I had not ever seen a snake with three eyes," Penning told Live Science in an email. "I have seen snakes with two heads [and] some odd facial deformities but nothing quite like this."
Rangers with Australia's Northern Territory Parks and Wildlife Commission (NTPWC) found the wild triclops, whom they dubbed Monty, on a highway near Humpty Doo, a small town about 25 miles (40 kilometers) southeast of Darwin, in late March.
https://www.livescience.com/65382-three ... tification