Literal Odds and Ends

Speaker to Animals

Re: Literal Odds and Ends

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 am

I took a drive around midnight. Power was out everywhere. No traffic lights, street lights, nothing. It was pretty nice.

Duke restored power at some point.

Still not that much snow outside. Less than a foot. It is supposed to starr piling today, though.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:20 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 am
I took a drive around midnight. Power was out everywhere. No traffic lights, street lights, nothing. It was pretty nice.

Still not that much snow outside. Less than a foot. It is supposed to starr piling today, though.
What sort of heating do you have?
I hope it's not reliant on electricity to work.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:23 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:20 am
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:18 am

What sort of heating do you have?
I hope it's not reliant on electricity to work.

There are many kinds of electricity.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 am

Cryptic.
Oh well, fuck you then. I was trying to show concern for your situation.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:52 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:28 am
Cryptic.
Oh well, fuck you then. I was trying to show concern for your situation.
I was not trying to insult you. Just joking around. I have some really good cold weather gear. If it goes out again but for days where I cannot keep the dogs warm, I will just drive out, probably to Florida. I would not mind doing some beach running, honestly.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 am

This was just after midnight this morning. No power anywhere.

Not a terrible amount of snow yet. Not sure if power outage was a fluke.

I love this shit, actually. If not for my dogs, I'd probably be outside practicing cold weather survival with my gear.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 am

So you aspire to be a snowbird? OK. that makes sense. Good luck getting out of the mountains in the snow.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:01 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:58 am
So you aspire to be a snowbird? OK. that makes sense. Good luck getting out of the mountains in the snow.
It would not be hard to drive out of here in the snow. Are you inexperienced with snow?

There are a few passes with dangerous grades to avoid, but that is not going to trap you here.

The worst one, between Black Mountain and Old Fort seems to be open still. Any of you who read One Second After might remember that as where the protagonist lured the cannibal army into a trap and burned them out.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 am

Well, we don't get a lot of snow here in sunny East Anglia but you may remember earlier this year when I was battling through the show every day for a week to get to work at the Christian conference centre. I even had to stay in one of the spare bedrooms for a couple of days when the backroads were impassable.
Incidentally, I was getting through in my little front wheel drive VW when some 4x4 drivers were having to be towed out of trouble by tractors.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:25 am

You can do just fine with most vehicles. The main advantage of a truck or SUV is that the wheels are larger so the vehicle is more likely to clear the top of the snow.

On road, I think the main advantage to something like a Jeep is a dedicated snow setting to maintain traction.

My old WRX with it's AWD was better in the snow than my Jeep. The Jeep comes out ahead when snow is piled high.

Most of the accidents I see are people who have a false sense of security and fail to give themselves enough time to slow down for a stop or turn.

When these roads get iced, then you take you take your chances no matter what